X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring 2 deep

Anyone have a link for a spring 2 deep?

I'll take a stab

As to what it will look like in September. No idea who is here or participating this spring....

QB Heaps-Nelson-Lark

RB Unga-Quezada
    DiLuigi-Te'o

FB Kariya-Maka'afi/Alge Brown

WR Jacobson-Chambers
    Ashworth-Apo
    Hafoka-Hoffman

TE Wilson-Mahina-Muehlmann-Holt

OL M. Reynolds-Speredon-T Brown-B Hansen-B Brown
    N. Alletto-Freeman-H. Reynolds-Thorson-Kahaialii

DE So'oto-Putnam
    Bryson-Rowley/Richardson

DT Fuga-Manumaleuna

OLB Pendleton-Van Noy
    Atkinson-Jorgenson

MLB Ogletree-Leung Wai
    Hunter-Stout

S Rich-Bradley
    Gailei-J. Johnson

CB Logan-Aguirre
    Buckner-Eason

Looking scary at DE and MLB. It will be interesting to see whether or not they move Bradley to safety.

Comment

Originally posted by taco amigo View Post
      As to what it will look like in September. No idea who is here or participating this spring....

QB Heaps-Nelson-Lark

RB Unga-Quezada
      DiLuigi-Te'o

FB Kariya-Maka'afi/Alge Brown

WR Jacobson-Chambers
      Ashworth-Apo
      Hafoka-Hoffman

TE Wilson-Mahina-Muehlmann-Holt

OL M. Reynolds-Speredon-T Brown-B Hansen-B Brown
      N. Alletto-Freeman-H. Reynolds-Thorson-Kahaialii

DE So'oto-Putnam
      Bryson-Rowley/Richardson

DT Fuga-Manumaleuna

OLB Pendleton-Van Noy
      Atkinson-Jorgenson

MLB Ogletree-Leung Wai
      Hunter-Stout

S Rich-Bradley
      Gailei-J. Johnson

CB Logan-Aguirre
      Buckner-Eason

Looking scary at DE and MLB. It will be interesting to see whether or not they move Bradley to safety.
      Definitely need someone like Thomas Bryson to step up at de or we will be in trouble. Thanks for posting your stab.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Definitely need someone like Thomas Bryson to step up at de or we will be in trouble. Thanks for posting your stab.
        I have heard from several former players (former as recently as last year) and a few guys that know what they are talking about. All of them that have watched practice have said we are in trouble at MLB. They have also all said that Heaps is head and shoulder above the other qbs and frankly its not close.

One of them even said if he knew the offense he would have given Max a run for his money last year, this is from a player on last years team which I thought was really interesting.
        *Banned*

Comment

Anyone have a link for a spring 2 deep?
          One thing I wish BYU did similar to Utah is the Spring Prospectus I think that is pretty cool.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by taco amigo View Post
            As of right now I don't think Bradley is in the plans at FS. If he was, they would have moved him there by now. When they made the switch last year with Scott Johnson, it was done right when they returned from Christmas break. I was at Friday's practice. Rich is out for Spring because of both foot and shoulder surgery, Uale was running with the 1's at Strong Safety. Steven Thomas was running with the 1's at Free and Landon Jaussi was running with the 2's. Bradley took every rep with the 1's at boundary corner. I would be concerned with FS along with MLB and DE on that D.

EDIT: This being said about Bradley, things can always change. It is only 4 days into spring ball.
            Last edited by Hot Lunch; 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              As of right now I don't think Bradley is in the plans at FS. If he was, they would have moved him there by now. When they made the switch last year with Scott Johnson, it was done right when they returned from Christmas break. I was at Friday's practice. Rich is out for Spring because of both foot and shoulder surgery, Uale was running with the 1's at Strong Safety. Steven Thomas was running with the 1's at Free and Landon Jaussi was running with the 2's. Bradley took every rep with the 1's at boundary corner. I would be concerned with FS along with MLB and DE on that D.

EDIT: This being said about Bradley, things can always change. It is only 4 days into spring ball.
              How good are Uale, Jaussi and Thomas? I know the first 2 are walk-ons but that is about it.

Comment

How good are Uale, Jaussi and Thomas? I know the first 2 are walk-ons but that is about it.
                The only one out of the 3 that has seen any time is Thomas and he was awful at corner. The only thing I know about Jaussi is he is on his 4th position in as many years.
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I don't know how he looks now, but Travis Uale looked good on the scout team as a true freshman for the Utes in 2005. In fact, he was the defensive scout team POY.
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

My initial thoughts are that Jaussi will never play significant reps unless there are injuries. I think the safeties BYU will play this year when the dust settles are Rich and Galai as starters with Uale and Thomas as the back ups. It wouldn't surprise me with Rich's versatility and knowledge at both positions that unless there are injuries only Rich, Galai and Uale ever see time. Thomas has been around a while and bounced back and forth in defensive backfield, but I don't think he is supremely talented. I think he knows where he should be and where the other players should be, but my guess is to hope he is slightly better than Kellen Fowler was. I think Uale will be a little bit better. The only safety that will make anything happen will be Rich.
                    After Andrew I think the other 3 are pretty similar save that Galai is younger and is likely to have more potential.

I am not deeply concerned about safety this year. I think these kids are adequate. If the defense struggles, which might be likely, it will be because of MLB and DE, IMO. MLB's are likely to struggle. The 4 who I think will end up playing are Leing Wei, Ogletree, Hunter, Stout and perhaps some Austin Jorgenson. When a RS Sophmore is your most experienced player there are likely to be issues. I think at least two of Ogletree, Leing Wei, Stout and even Jorgenson could potentially be all conference caliber players as upperclassmen, but their circumstances this year will cause just about all but perhaps Ogletree to struggle. If there are any injuries at DE to Putanm or So'oto (who has a long history of injuries) this issue will be really pronounced. I could see ILB play as bad as 2008, and if the DE's struggle due to injuries then BYU is going to be run on like a cheap hooker.

It could be a really odd year for BYU defense with its best players being the pass defenders with the defensive backfield as fairly stout and good OLBs. But the lack of depth at DE and the likely poor ILB play could create some huge concerns. The Tyler Beck injury is really unfortunate.

Saying all that, I think ILB play will be a huge strength for a few years starting in 2011. When Leing Wei, Ogletree and Jorgenson have experience to be joined by Uona Kaveinga and Tyler Beck, who I think are the more talented players, not to mention depth with Keoishian and perhaps Hadley BYU is going to be very tough to run on. I feel bad for Tyler because if he stayed healthy this year I thought he would have started. I think Kaveinga is the most talented of the crew and my instinct is Ogletree's experience is going to give him the nod as the starter this year and I doubt he gives it up for next season. Even if Tyler is more talented, I think Ogletree is a Bronco type of kid and talented enough to be adequate so my guess is they will go with him for his leadership and experience being matched with Kaveinga's overwhelming talent.

I expect to this be a year where Mendenhall takes some lumps by throwing younger players into the fire in order to build for the future, but I think he will start playing it more safe with the more experienced kids in 2011 who went through the fire of 2010.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      My initial thoughts are that Jaussi will never play significant reps unless there are injuries. I think the safeties BYU will play this year when the dust settles are Rich and Galai as starters with Uale and Thomas as the back ups. It wouldn't surprise me with Rich's versatility and knowledge at both positions that unless there are injuries only Rich, Galai and Uale ever see time. Thomas has been around a while and bounced back and forth in defensive backfield, but I don't think he is supremely talented. I think he knows where he should be and where the other players should be, but my guess is to hope he is slightly better than Kellen Fowler was. I think Uale will be a little bit better. The only safety that will make anything happen will be Rich.
                      After Andrew I think the other 3 are pretty similar save that Galai is younger and is likely to have more potential.

I am not deeply concerned about safety this year. I think these kids are adequate. If the defense struggles, which might be likely, it will be because of MLB and DE, IMO. MLB's are likely to struggle. The 4 who I think will end up playing are Leing Wei, Ogletree, Hunter, Stout and perhaps some Austin Jorgenson. When a RS Sophmore is your most experienced player there are likely to be issues. I think at least two of Ogletree, Leing Wei, Stout and even Jorgenson could potentially be all conference caliber players as upperclassmen, but their circumstances this year will cause just about all but perhaps Ogletree to struggle. If there are any injuries at DE to Putanm or So'oto (who has a long history of injuries) this issue will be really pronounced. I could see ILB play as bad as 2008, and if the DE's struggle due to injuries then BYU is going to be run on like a cheap hooker.

It could be a really odd year for BYU defense with its best players being the pass defenders with the defensive backfield as fairly stout and good OLBs. But the lack of depth at DE and the likely poor ILB play could create some huge concerns. The Tyler Beck injury is really unfortunate.

Saying all that, I think ILB play will be a huge strength for a few years starting in 2011. When Leing Wei, Ogletree and Jorgenson have experience to be joined by Uona Kaveinga and Tyler Beck, who I think are the more talented players, not to mention depth with Keoishian and perhaps Hadley BYU is going to be very tough to run on. I feel bad for Tyler because if he stayed healthy this year I thought he would have started. I think Kaveinga is the most talented of the crew and my instinct is Ogletree's experience is going to give him the nod as the starter this year and I doubt he gives it up for next season. Even if Tyler is more talented, I think Ogletree is a Bronco type of kid and talented enough to be adequate so my guess is they will go with him for his leadership and experience being matched with Kaveinga's overwhelming talent.

I expect to this be a year where Mendenhall takes some lumps by throwing younger players into the fire in order to build for the future, but I think he will start playing it more safe with the more experienced kids in 2011 who went through the fire of 2010.
                      Jordan Johnson and Khori Gaines will both play safety as well.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Jordan Johnson and Khori Gaines will both play safety as well.
                        I highly doubt he throws a true freshman out there unless he absolutely has too. Craig Bills played as a true freshman but he was leaps and bounds ahead of those two as an 18 year old. Perhaps those two will catch up as maybee Craig just developed faster, but I think barring injury the safeties are the 4 we think they are.

If Andrew stays healthy, I think BYU will be fine. If Andrew goes down, it could be a return to '08 - especially with the ILBs issues and if there are any injuries at DE. If the two starting DEs stay healthy and Rich stays healthy I think BYU can compensate for the concerns at ILB. I am convinced that BYU is not likely to be that lucky with the injury histories of Rich and So'oto.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          I have heard from several former players (former as recently as last year) and a few guys that know what they are talking about. All of them that have watched practice have said we are in trouble at MLB.
                          And Beck won't be ready even in the fall. Torn ACL, LCL and meniscus.

Comment

At 5-9 170 gaines seems small for a safety, please tell he weighs more than that

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              And Beck won't be ready even in the fall. Torn ACL, LCL and meniscus.
                              Thats awful, really kills our depth. Poor kid has been through a lot.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X