Locker room Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker room Material

an excerpt from Graham Watson chat today.

JT (Minneapolis, MN): Who do you expect to be the top performers in this Saturday's BYU-Utah battle?

Graham Watson: The Utah defense. All around. I think they're going to be focused on getting in Hall's face and disrupting his rhythm the way TCU did. That's how Utah wins the game. Oh, and I talked to Brice McCain and he said it's his mission to keep Collie from getting the BYU receiving record this week.

So collie will be kept under 35 yards Saturday.

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post

JT (Minneapolis, MN): Who do you expect to be the top performers in this Saturday's BYU-Utah battle?

Graham Watson: The Utah defense. All around. I think they're going to be focused on getting in Hall's face and disrupting his rhythm the way TCU did. That's how Utah wins the game. Oh, and I talked to Brice McCain and he said it's his mission to keep Collie from getting the BYU receiving record this week.

McCain should never cover Collie. Smith should follow him where ever he goes on the field. McCain is too small.

Comment

I'm just going to reiterate the stat I posted earlier. Utah has 9 sacks on the year, BYU has 8. TCU has 28, I think. There's a huge difference between Utah's defense and TCU's.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Jarom (Utah): If BYU wins and doesn't go to a BCS game, who goes to the Vegas Bowl?

SportsNation Graham Watson: There's a tiebreaker for that and Utah would go because of head-to-head with TCU.

SportsNation Graham Watson: OK. Gotta go. It's been fun. Talk to you next week.
        I am pretty sure she is wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I'm just going to reiterate the stat I posted earlier. Utah has 9 sacks on the year, BYU has 8. TCU has 28, I think. There's a huge difference between Utah's defense and TCU's.
          There is no question that the way to beat BYU is to put pressure on Hall. When teams have been able to pressure Hall, they've been able to slow the BYU offense. Granted, this may mean that Utah has to blitz more to get that pressure on Hall, and may leave more single coverage in the secondary. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see who covers whom. I can't imagine Utah puts anybody but Smith on Collie. McCain will likely take Reed, who can be very physical and I think that edge has to go to BYU. Who lines up over Pitta/George could be the difference in the game.

Also, one matchup that could be the difference as fara s BYU's offense is concerned is how well linebackers can stick with Unga/Fui. If Utah is in a lot of man coverage, which they most likely will be to get that pressure on Hall, it likely means one-on-one with Unga and a linebacker or a safety. Utah does a good job of tackling, however a lot of Fui and Unga one on one, there is a good chance those guys can break tackles and make a fairly large play.

I think it is no secret that this game likely comes down to turnovers. Can Brian Johnson not fumble/throw INTs? Can the Cougs take care of the ball when they are pressured?

Honestly right now, my gut gives a slight edge to Utah. However, I think Utah is living on borrowed time. They've won a lot of games they maybe shouldn't have, and it'll come back to bite them in the end eventually. I think it could be a dogfight with either team winning. If you told me right now that one team wins by more than 10, and I'd have to say that team was Utah.

Comment

She is.

Vegas has first choice, not necessarily the first place team.

Comment

per my understanding, the vegas bowl can pick anyone, although it is promised the conf champ *if* it wants it. but it can pick anyone in the MWC.

point being, there are no tie breaker formulas for the Vegas bowl.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                There is no question that the way to beat BYU is to put pressure on Hall. When teams have been able to pressure Hall, they've been able to slow the BYU offense. Granted, this may mean that Utah has to blitz more to get that pressure on Hall, and may leave more single coverage in the secondary. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see who covers whom. I can't imagine Utah puts anybody but Smith on Collie. McCain will likely take Reed, who can be very physical and I think that edge has to go to BYU. Who lines up over Pitta/George could be the difference in the game.

Also, one matchup that could be the difference as fara s BYU's offense is concerned is how well linebackers can stick with Unga/Fui. If Utah is in a lot of man coverage, which they most likely will be to get that pressure on Hall, it likely means one-on-one with Unga and a linebacker or a safety. Utah does a good job of tackling, however a lot of Fui and Unga one on one, there is a good chance those guys can break tackles and make a fairly large play.

I think it is no secret that this game likely comes down to turnovers. Can Brian Johnson not fumble/throw INTs? Can the Cougs take care of the ball when they are pressured?

Honestly right now, my gut gives a slight edge to Utah. However, I think Utah is living on borrowed time. They've won a lot of games they maybe shouldn't have, and it'll come back to bite them in the end eventually. I think it could be a dogfight with either team winning. If you told me right now that one team wins by more than 10, and I'd have to say that team was Utah.
                I agree with the post.

Especially the turnovers - we can analyze this game from every angle imaginable, but ultimately, the team that wins the turnover battle, will win this game. Since the utes are at home, my gut says that team will be Utah.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  I agree with the post.

Especially the turnovers - we can analyze this game from every angle imaginable, but ultimately, the team that wins the turnover battle, will win this game. Since the utes are at home, my gut says that team will be Utah.
                  I think when the turnovers happen is as critical a factor as just turnovers. But generally speaking, winning the turnover battle will likely determine the winner of the game.

I also hope deep down that Utah wins the toss, and takes the ball. For some reason I think getting the ball to start the second half, once BYU is settled down, will help them a bit. Let Utah come out, show us their new wrinkles, and let our offense be able to respond. As much as I'd like our offense to drive down and open the game with a scoring drive, I don't think it'll happen and I'd hate a 3 and out to start the game.

Comment

Your number is wrong. Utah has over 20 sacks on the year. Kruger and Misi alone have combined for 11 sacks.

EDIT: Kruger has 7.5 sacks (52 yards total), Misi has 3 sacks (18 yards), Newman has 1.5 sacks (17 yards total), Stanford and Fotu both have 2 sacks a piece (17 and 14 yards respectively) and four others each have a sack a piece. 22 total sacks on the year.
                    Last edited by UteStar; 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                      You made some good points in your post Sizzle...but BYU has been living 'on borrowed time' as well this year. If not for some serious last minute drives or other issues against teams like Washington, UNLV and CSU...BYU's season would look a lot different right now.

Both teams this year have made their 4th quarters as a time to win it...it will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                        You made some good points in your post Sizzle...but BYU has been living 'on borrowed time' as well this year. If not for some serious last minute drives or other issues against teams like Washington, UNLV and CSU...BYU's season would look a lot different right now.

Both teams this year have made their 4th quarters as a time to win it...it will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday.
                        I agree with that. And, to each teams credit, they've found ways to win those games. I do think that either team more than likely would be exposed a la Hawaii last year playing a better school in a BCS bowl. Against each other, it will most likely be a dogfight.

Comment

Let me weigh in with my not-so-professional opinion on the game.

First, I think if Utah wins, Coach W is officially a hot commodity and deserves a pat on the back. Utah has played very well this year and pulled out some clutch games.

As for the matchups.....

Utah is very good in the secondary, but I think that their tendency to play press coverage/man up is going to result in a couple of long bombs to Collie. Collie may not be Michael Crabtree, but he sure as hell ain't no Toby Christiansen either. The line has been better than average (for us) at picking up the blitz, so I think that McCain or whoever will get torched once or twice. Not their fault - if you're going to blitz against a good QB and WR, you had damn well better get their.

Second, I think that BYU's defense is a great matchup for any offense with a pulse. I hate Utah's offense more than if it were a Rainbow Coalition Member and I a Utah County Zealot, but it has been effective and efficient. Plus the triple reverse might actually work on our guys this year. Either way, I see a shoot out. I think Utah by six is a fair line.

I do not think the method of BYU's wins over the last two years should be discounted. In a close one, I think a Ute defender (and specifically the secondary) could give in to nonsensical beliefs in the paranormal and start guarding the ghosts of Thanksgiving Past rather than just playing the four-deep zone they should.

Prediction? I will eat too many bratwurst and weigh extra on Sunday.

Keep in mind I called for a shoot-out last year too.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Are sacks the sine qua non of everything?
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Oh I sincerely hope Brice McCain is man on man Collie most of the game.

That is a mismatch in BYUs favor.

In fact I'm calling it now...if McCain is on Collie early and often....BYU beats McCain deep for a TD early.

Comment

Working...
                              X