PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all of Utahs sub 4.4 guys?

cougjunkie
03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I remember hearing about how RJ Stanford was a 4.2 guy, David Reed 4.4, Rojo 4.4, etc. Yet at Utahs pro day Stanford ran the fastest at 4.45, Reed ran 4.58 and Rojo ran 4.6.

il Padrino Ute
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I remember hearing about how RJ Stanford was a 4.2 guy, David Reed 4.4, Rojo 4.4, etc. Yet at Utahs pro day Stanford ran the fastest at 4.45, Reed ran 4.58 and Rojo ran 4.6.

Yawn.

Surfah
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
How did Wynn do? Oh he's only a freshman? Dammit.

cougjunkie
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Yawn.

I am serious, this goes out to BYU fans too we talk about how Utah has so much more speed than BYU and that BYU can never recruit that type of speed, but the numbers do not lie. Utah is average at best in the speed department. Reed, Johnson and Sylvester were very productive college players but they are not the blazing fast athletes they were made out to be.

Indy Coug
03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Utah's speed is a classic example of enough people making baseless claims that the masses eventually accept them as fact.

Surfah
03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I am serious, this goes out to BYU fans too we talk about how Utah has so much more speed than BYU and that BYU can never recruit that type of speed, but the numbers do not lie. Utah is average at best in the speed department. Reed, Johnson and Sylvester were very productive college players but they are not the blazing fast athletes they were made out to be.

When is TCU's pro day? They're young so they have a ton of talent left, but I'd still be interested in the numbers for their guys that participate.

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM

They took good lessons from Urban Meyer.

cougjunkie
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
When is TCU's pro day? They're young so they have a ton of talent left, but I'd still be interested in the numbers for their guys that participate.

Jerry Hughes ran a 4.59 at the combine which is disgusting for a D-end.

Indy Coug
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Sounds like he'll be an OLB in the NFL, in which case his speed is merely above-average.

il Padrino Ute
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Fair enough.

You'll have to forgive me for my response as it was based on your usual posts about the U.

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Washington ran in the same neighborhood at the combine as well. I want to say 4.62 but I need to look it up to be sure.

Goatnapper'96
03-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Utah was faster than BYU. BYU's corners and safeties are all a legitimate .1-.2 slower than what the Utah dbs ran at their pro day. That is a step to two steps difference. I don't think the speed difference was entirely overwhelming, obviously as I think BYU beat Utah, but I thought that Utah was clearly the faster team.

I also have long felt that there are different types of speed than just the ability to run from point a to point b quickly. Coaching, experience and for defenders the ability to recognize plays and anticipate where you need to be are all keys to playing the game fast. That is, IMO, why Mendenhall plays more experienced players over younger ones that we think are "faster." A good example of this was the last #14 that played SS at BYU. The kid was a legitimate 4.7 40 but he was very well coached, came from Texas I believe, and was smart and experienced. He was always in the right place at the right time. Hence, he helped make BYU look a lot faster than perhaps they really were. It did help that he also played with a set of LBers that were legitimately fast in both mind and body.

Indy Coug
03-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Utah was faster than BYU. BYU's corners and safeties are all a legitimate .1-.2 slower than what the Utah dbs ran at their pro day. That is a step to two steps difference. I don't think the speed difference was entirely overwhelming, obviously as I think BYU beat Utah, but I thought that Utah was clearly the faster team.

I also have long felt that there are different types of speed than just the ability to run from point a to point b quickly. Coaching, experience and for defenders the ability to recognize plays and anticipate where you need to be are all keys to playing the game fast. That is, IMO, why Mendenhall plays more experienced players over younger ones that we think are "faster." A good example of this was the last #14 that played SS at BYU. The kid was a legitimate 4.7 40 but he was very well coached, came from Texas I believe, and was smart and experienced. He was always in the right place at the right time. Hence, he helped make BYU look a lot faster than perhaps they really were. It did help that he also played with a set of LBers that were legitimately fast in both mind and body.

Corby Hodgkiss. Underrated player for BYU.

SeattleUte
03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Yawn.

Yes, a thousand times yawn.

WashingtonCoug
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
The shocking thing to me is that they've been training to be the fastest they've ever been in their lives for the past couple of months.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Hopefully this will turn out to be the ultimate burn when the rules change to decide games via a foot race.

Katy Lied
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I also have long felt that there are different types of speed than just the ability to run from point a to point b quickly. Coaching, experience and for defenders the ability to recognize plays and anticipate where you need to be are all keys to playing the game fast.

That's what I've always thought about RoJo. He has awesome game speed. Part anticipation and part movement, but not just race speed. "Came from out of nowhere" comes to mind.

smokymountainrain
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Corby Hodgkiss. Underrated player for BYU.

Top five safety - SS or FS - in the last 15 years, IMO. If not the last 25 years.

BoylenOver
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Nice to see some things never change.

SoCalCoug
03-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Hopefully this will turn out to be the ultimate burn when the rules change to decide games via a foot race.

That's right, it's still determined on the field, isn't it? I can live with that.