No announcement yet.

Einstein, Civil War scholars, Creekster, and now Domers agree with SeattleUte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Einstein, Civil War scholars, Creekster, and now Domers agree with SeattleUte

The Irish believe that "seismic" changes in the B10/P10 may be a reality.

They are monitoring the situation in case they have to switch from losing as an Independent to losing as a conference affiliate. While the preference to remain independent remains, ND's athletic director admits publicly that there are scenarios that would ultimate "force the hand" of Notre Dame and compel them to finally align with a conference.

This is a conundrum for the B10. They have offered ND and been rejected at least twice. Expansion could finally force ND to join, which would be the B10 dream. However, expansion with teams like Pitt then leave no room for ND to join, unless the conference wants to move to 13 or 14 teams (yikes). So what card does the B10 play? Would the Irish join the Big East in football, along with the rest of its programs? That would not be a good proposition for ND. Also, what happens to Notre Dame's NBC deal? How does Notre Dame continue to build its brand nationwide if it is tied to one specific conference? Lots of questions.

"What if realignment impacts the shape of the BCS?" Swarbrick said.
    "The Big East has been a great conference for us," he said. "If there is a fundamental change to the Big East, what does that do?"
    Unknowns aside -- and there are plenty more -- if Swarbrick had his way, he'd choose the status quo.
    "We're trying like hell to maintain our football independence," Swarbrick said. "I think it's good for college football and it's good for Notre Dame."
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletic director: Conference expansions could end our football independence - ESPN
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

I saw a study that says that ND would earn a lot more in the Big 10.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Notre Dame is the only team that is a logical fit for the Big10. Everyone else is a very awkward and forced suggestion.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

BYU: enjoy being the new Notre Dame! The only major team without a confernce. I hope you have the cattle to pull it off.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          BYU: enjoy being the new Notre Dame! The only major team without a confernce. I hope you have the cattle to pull it off.
          In the event of expansion sans BYU, I think the independent route is the one that makes the most sense. They can do a non-football tie-in with the MWC but play football games all over the country, building the brand using the Notre Dame model. The TV piece....how would that work? Sell those rights to ESPN as part of the PPV game day package? Sell the rights to the MTN and continue to receive roughly what it is receiving now?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            Notre Dame is the only team that is a logical fit for the Big10. Everyone else is a very awkward and forced suggestion.
            I have always thought this, as well, but doesn't it actually make more sense for ND to join the Big East? All of the other ND teams play in that conference. Geographically they are a Big 10 school but they already have years of precedent competing in the Big East. And are currently members of the Big East.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think that Missouri is an awkward or forced suggestion. They already play every year with Illinois in both basketball and football. Columbia is very much like Champaign-Urbana, and Ann Arbor (probably more like Ann Arbor than Champaign, actually). I haven't visited the homes of the other schools, but I imagine they are all pretty similar. Missouri seems to be a fit both culturally and geographically.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I have always thought this, as well, but doesn't it actually make more sense for ND to join the Big East? All of the other ND teams play in that conference. Geographically they are a Big 10 school but they already have years of precedent competing in the Big East. And are currently members of the Big East.
                They already play at least 3 members of the Big 10 every year (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue), so they're 40% of the way of belonging to football conference as it is.

Comment

Did you really have to put me in the thread title?
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    The point is, you're neither Einstein, nor a Civil War scholar. Got Tissue?

Comment

The point is, you're neither Einstein, nor a Civil War scholar. Got Tissue?

Like I and everyojne else didnt already know that. WOuldnt a snarky boradmail have been enough? why the public flogging?
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Like I and everyojne else didnt already know that. WOuldnt a snarky boradmail have been enough? why the public flogging?
                        Hey don't feel too bad about it. I found a really cool picture as a result.

Comment

Consider yourself lucky. I excluded Mark E Peterson.

sigpic

Comment

They already play at least 3 members of the Big 10 every year (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue), so they're 40% of the way of belonging to football conference as it is.
                            Yes, but all their other sports compete 100% in the Big East, 0% in the Big 10.

They could still continue to play one or two of the Big10 schools in football.

I am not saying it doesn't make sense, I just think that upon closer inspection, the present circumstances don't really support the notion that the B10 makes the most sense. A move to the B10 would require the entire athletic department to uproot itself. A move to the Big East would require the football team to drop one of the 3 aforementioned games you listed.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Yes, but all their other sports compete 100% in the Big East, 0% in the Big 10.

They could still continue to play one or two of the Big10 schools in football.

I am not saying it doesn't make sense, I just think that upon closer inspection, the present circumstances don't really support the notion that the B10 makes the most sense. A move to the B10 would require the entire athletic department to uproot itself. A move to the Big East would require the football team to drop one of the 3 aforementioned games you listed.
                              There was talk on the radio here in DC today about the Big East contracting, at least the basketball programs.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X