Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepak Chopra on Satan

"Satan is real under the following conditions:

People feel they deserve punishment instead of healing.

A culture believes in the Satan myth.

Believers pay attention to that myth and give it value.

Guilt is projected outward onto demons instead of healed inside.

Wrongdoing accumulates without a means for finding forgiveness, atonement, or purification.

Children are put in fear of demons and told that they have supernatural power."

(2006, 75-76)
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    "Satan is real under the following conditions:

People feel they deserve punishment instead of healing.

A culture believes in the Satan myth.

Believers pay attention to that myth and give it value.

Guilt is projected outward onto demons instead of healed inside.

Wrongdoing accumulates without a means for finding forgiveness, atonement, or purification.

Children are put in fear of demons and told that they have supernatural power."

(2006, 75-76)
    I see the Satan myth as an interesting mind game that many people find useful and motivating. I personally don't find the idea of Satan and his influence very useful or motivating, however.

Does it really matter if something like the Satan myth is true, though? In my mind it's OK to accept something that may be false (or at least unproven/unprovable) if it serves as a useful mind game or motivational tool for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      I see the Satan myth as an interesting mind game that many people find useful and motivating. I personally don't find the idea of Satan and his influence very useful or motivating, however.

Does it really matter if something like the Satan myth is true, though? In my mind it's OK to accept something that may be false (or at least unproven/unprovable) if it serves as a useful mind game or motivational tool for some people.
      IS that how you see God?
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        IS that how you see God?
        Yeah, to a certain degree.

I like going to church and think many things that the Church teaches are very beneficial. I like pretty much all of the practical Christian-living aspects and teachings of the gospel.

But I personally find it very difficult to accept abstract, speculative theology at face value (things like the three degrees of glory or the spirit correctional facility, etc). To me, abstract theology is mainly an interesting mind game.

Comment

If it's real to you why isn't it real?

This is one thing I find interesting about spectator sports. Depending on your perspective it's either important enough to commit suicide over or not real or just an annoyance. So much of life falls into that vast estuary that mingles dreams or imagination and reality.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            If it's real to you why isn't it real?

This is one thing I find interesting about spectator sports. Depending on your perspective it's either important enough to commit suicide over or not real or just an annoyance. So much of life falls into that vast estuary that mingles dreams or imagination and reality.
            Yeah, that is interesting. Like sporting events, the ideas of God and Satan have great importance to some people and no importance to others. But a sporting event is a real event. You can see it and even people who don't care about the outcome don't argue about the event's existence. In that way the analogy only partially fits.

When spiritual gifts were distributed I was just not given the gift to "know" things that are unprovable and abstract. Others seem to have received that gift in spades.

Comment

When spiritual gifts were distributed I was just not given the gift to "know" things that are unprovable and abstract.
              Yeah, I didn't get that gift either. However, I was given the gift to appreciate good advice from Jocelyn Elders when I heard it.

WARNING: Do not watch around kids or at work.

[YOUTUBE]If0AW0FHT2A[/YOUTUBE]
              Last edited by SoonerCoug; 11-18-2008, 05:05 PM.
              That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Working...
              X