Orrin Hatch lobs another grenade at the BCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orrin Hatch lobs another grenade at the BCS

Along with a senator from Montana, sent a letter to the BCS executive director demanding that they disclose their secret formulas and other inside info.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14640573

Washington ยป Two high-ranking senators are demanding a peek inside the inner workings of college football's Bowl Championship Series, just the latest move in an ongoing campaign to force changes in the way the national champion is crowned.

In a letter sent Tuesday to the BCS executive director, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Finance Committee chairman Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., said they have "ongoing concerns" that BCS leaders have not been forthcoming in explaining how their system operates.

"Legal and antitrust concerns aside, I think it's clear that the BCS is fundamentally unfair and harmful to schools, students, college football fans and consumers throughout the country," Hatch said in a statement. "At the very least, I think the architects of the BCS should provide the public with more information to dispel the notion that the system is explicitly designed to favor certain teams while disfavoring others."

The BCS is a mixture of human polls and computer rankings that determine the participants in the championship game. The rankings are also used to pick the teams for the four most prestigious bowl games.

Six conferences are considered "automatic qualifiers." Their top teams always have a spot and they get to share in the financial spoils. Teams from the other five conferences can earn their way in, as the University of Utah has done twice. These outsiders earn a big payday, but it is much lower than what the BCS schools receive.

The BCS argues the system has provided unprecedented opportunities for schools from conferences that are not traditional powerhouses, while also rightfully rewarding the teams that draw most of the fans.

But critics, such as Hatch, say the BCS is unfair, picking champions from elite conferences rather than through a playoff like every other college sport.

In their letter, sent to Bill Hancock, the BCS executive director, Hatch and Baucus asked for a slew of information including the financial details of the BCS's new TV deal, which begins this year. Particularly, they wanted to know about the revenue split between BCS and non-BCS conferences, highlighting what they said is "an increase in parity in competition among the privileged and nonprivileged conferences" in recent years.

They asked for details about how the BCS determines which conferences receive automatic bids and the legal structure of the BCS itself. The senators also called on the BCS to release the criteria used by the six computer rankings.

"Ultimately, our current concerns are not only with the current system employed by the BCS," the letter states, "but that the BCS's public representations do not accurately reflect the practical manner in which the system operates."
    The BCS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hatch has emerged as the leading BCS critic in the Senate. He held a hearing on the system, encouraged the Justice Department to go after it on antitrust grounds and called on President Barack Obama to invite undefeated Boise State to the White House, just like he did BCS champion Alabama.

Wow, the 2012 campaign has certainly started early.

Comment

O-Hatch's grenades seem to land off target. Has anything come of his efforts thus far? He is definitely making a lot of noise, which is good for the cause.

I wonder if he is being tuned out personally or if they just don't want to bother with the BCS in the midst of the economic crisis and the war in Iraq?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Kidding aside, when a very powerful well entrenched Senator, even from the minority party, turns you into his pet issue you better find a way to placate him.

Comment

I've lost interest in the BCS fight.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            Kidding aside, when a very powerful well entrenched Senator, even from the minority party, turns you into his pet issue you better find a way to placate him.
            Baucus is also an extremely tenured senator with some degree of influence. And seeing as the BCS is one of the issues that Obama and Hatch likely agree on, he's probably trying to strike while the iron is hot.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

It actually sounds like his position is weakening, actually. Nobody is paying attention to him.

Did Obama invite BSU to the White House?

"Legal and antitrust concerns aside, I think it's clear that the BCS is fundamentally unfair and harmful to schools, students, college football fans and consumers throughout the country," Hatch said in a statement. "At the very least, I think the architects of the BCS should provide the public with more information to dispel the notion that the system is explicitly designed to favor certain teams while disfavoring others."
              Appears that he realizes the antitrust thing is going nowhere.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                It actually sounds like his position is weakening, actually. Nobody is paying attention to him.

Did Obama invite BSU to the White House?

Appears that he realizes the antitrust thing is going nowhere.
                Does using "actually" twice cancel the word out the way it would if you used "not" twice?

I'm just saying, don't be surprised to see him cause trouble for them even if he doesn't get everything he wants.

Comment

Does using "actually" twice cancel the word out the way it would if you used "not" twice?

I'm just saying, don't be surprised to see him cause trouble for them even if he doesn't get everything he wants.
                  I didn't catch that typo. my fault.

I am not sure what the result will be, but I am wondering if he is the right person for this task. There is little risk of his getting everything that he wants when thus far it seems that he has not received a single thing that he wants.

It would be more persuasive to enlist a senator that has some sort of BCS conference ties. Orrin getting upset after the Utes finished second seemed self-interested. However, if the Senator from Texas or Florida or Oklahoma or California made it a pet project, maybe more folks would listen? Again, I don't know.

It just seems that this thing has gone absolutely nowhere over the past couple of years.

sigpic

Comment

I'm confused. What secret formulas still exist in the BCS? I thought all the formulas, rankings, numbers, voters, algorithms, etc. were pretty much public info if you were willing to sift through all of it.

The BCS leaves a lot to be desired, no doubt, and the BCS was founded in cronyism. But at the end of the day, is it really that mysterious why Florida and Oklahoma were slotted in the BCS title game in 2009? And are there questions about what the MWC or other conference need to do in order to get an auto bid?

Orrin, if you want to fight the BCS, pick an issue other than lack of data. Besides, don't you have more important things to worry about? The struggling economy? Healthcare? Writing poetry?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                      I'm confused. What secret formulas still exist in the BCS? I thought all the formulas, rankings, numbers, voters, algorithms, etc. were pretty much public info if you were willing to sift through all of it?
                      One example is the formula that determines which conferences receive auto-bids. BCS execs say there is a formula in place that will grade the performances from 2008-11, and in 2012 they will reveal what that formula is and which conferences qualified. Skeptics say nonsense, that sort of secrecy allows them to have several potential formulas in place and in 2012 they can "reveal" which one best suits their true agenda.

Comment

Orrin, if you want to fight the BCS, pick an issue other than lack of data. Besides, don't you have more important things to worry about? The struggling economy? Healthcare? Writing poetry?
                        I hate this argument. Most of us multitask. I can take on more than one project at work and juggle it with church responsibilities, and play time. Certainly our politicians can do it too.

Some years I spend thousands of dollars watching college football (specifically BYU) and the the issue is important to me. I know I'm one of thousands (if not millions) that feel this way.

Fight on Orrin. Every bit of straw piled on will lead someday to the breaking of the camel's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                          One example is the formula that determines which conferences receive auto-bids. BCS execs say there is a formula in place that will grade the performances from 2008-11, and in 2012 they will reveal what that formula is and which conferences qualified. Skeptics say nonsense, that sort of secrecy allows them to have several potential formulas in place and in 2012 they can "reveal" which one best suits their true agenda.
                          If that's true, I was working under a false assumption. I've heard a lot of chatter about how if the MWC does x, y, and z, they'll be an AQ conference starting in 2012. What you're telling me now is that anyone talking about x, y, and z is full of crap because nobody knows the real requirement for the MWC to be included.

Comment

If that's true, I was working under a false assumption. I've heard a lot of chatter about how if the MWC does x, y, and z, they'll be an AQ conference starting in 2012. What you're telling me now is that anyone talking about x, y, and z is full of crap because nobody knows the real requirement for the MWC to be included.
                            correct
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I also don't think all the computer poll logic has been revealed, although it has been pretty easy for math geeks to replicate similar results.

Comment

Working...
                              X