Favorite Documentary of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Documentary of All Time

Okay, in part four of this five part series, let's name our favorite Documentary of all time, and why....you're not allowed to post a commentary on someone else's selection until you have, in a separate post, stated your favorite and the reasons why. 150 words, minimum.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Okay, in part four of this five part series, let's name our favorite Documentary of all time, and why....you're not allowed to post a commentary on someone else's selection until you have, in a separate post, stated your favorite and the reasons why. 150 words, minimum.
    There are different kinds of documentaries, but I would say my favorite is still Hoop Dreams. IMO it holds up, I watched it a couple months ago again and it was still great. The other one that I have watched a few times is Running On The Sun: The Badwater 135. There is also a great book by Kirk Johnson (a jack mormon) who ran Badwater the same year as the doc was made called To The Edge. Those are my two favorites.

Sometimes docs are great because of the freak factor like King of Kong or other that were being discussed in the Back Fence "I'm new here" thread. It is funny to look into another world and laugh at people that are freaks. I think many would laugh at a documentary about an LDS, BYU, Utah message board posters.

I love documentaries.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Oh, I can't say I was a big fan of 'Bowling for Columbine'.

I thought it was going to be a bowling movie, like 'Kingpin'.

It wasn't, it was something else.

Does "Baseball" by Ken Burns count? I loved watching those on PBS.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

The Civil War by Ken Burns.

This was a ground-breaking documentary that changed the industry. The period music, narration of letters by actors, usage of photos, paintings, etc. rather than dramatic recreations all defined a unique style that has been widely copied since the series came out in the late '80's.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Être et avoir (To Be and To Have).
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

I really liked "Little Dieter Needs to Fly" directed by Werner Herzog. It really drives how just how messed up war can make someone.

Dieter was shot down over Laos and spent time in a POW camp during the Vietnam war, and the documentary focuses on his capture, torture, and daring escape. It's pretty nuts to see the effects on Dieter as Herzog brings him back to the spots where he was captured, tortured, and hid from his pursuers. In some spots, watching the emotions of the contemporary Dieter is more compelling than hearing the details of his story.

When the film was made, Dieter was still hiding food in his home in little secret compartments - just in case.

Not quite 150 words, but close enough for me.
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

nanook of the north -
              supersize me - I love morgan spurlock
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                I really liked "Little Dieter Needs to Fly" directed by Werner Herzog. It really drives how just how messed up war can make someone.

Dieter was shot down over Laos and spent time in a POW camp during the Vietnam war, and the documentary focuses on his capture, torture, and daring escape. It's pretty nuts to see the effects on Dieter as Herzog brings him back to the spots where he was captured, tortured, and hid from his pursuers. In some spots, watching the emotions of the contemporary Dieter is more compelling than hearing the details of his story.

When the film was made, Dieter was still hiding food in his home in little secret compartments - just in case.

Not quite 150 words, but close enough for me.
                Isn't this the story upon which the Christian Bale movie was based?

Herzog is good. Anyone seen his recent documentary called Encounters at the End of the World? I hear it is good.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Nanking is a unique look at the Japanese invasion of China. Very emotional, but well done.

I also saw a very good documentary on TV the other day about the history of deli meat. I forgot what the name of it was. I will certainly never eat olive loaf after watching that.

Comment

Not a favorite, but since this thread has become the defacto documentary thread......just saw "Pucker Up: The Fine Art of Whistling" on the Sundance channel. A brief one hour documentary on the international whistling competition in North Carolina.

Pretty amazing whistlers. These people are insanely talented. The guy that won, Geert, is a loveable pudgy Danish dude that smokes cigarettes constantly and has a rad fro.

This clip is not from the documentary, but it gives you an idea as to how serious these whistlers really are about their craft.

[YOUTUBE]yFHRXPrbzMg[/YOUTUBE]
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Another one I tivo'd off Sundance this week.....Zoo.

Subject matter not for the faint of heart. Zoo explores the world of zoophiles....people that are erotically attracted to animals. Specifically, the case of "Mr Hands," a Seattle-based engineer for Boeing that was dropped off anonymously at a local Seattle hospital ER. He died of a perforated colon as the result of having intercourse with Arabian stallions.

Cops trace some clues back to a local Washington-area farm that was a gathering place for zoophiles. Cops uncovered buckets (literally) filled with tapes, CDs, and videos of these zoophiles engaged in acts with the horses.

The documentary consists of anonymous interviews with several of the other zoophiles that were there with Mr Hands and that continue to participate in the behavior.

The documentary does not show any of the behavior and doesnt name names, but the subject matter is so unsettling that it certainly is not a family flick.

These men that are interviewed speak of feeling love for these animals in the same way people feel love for other people. I can't get my head around that.

One thing that the documentary does not do....it really makes no attempt to analzyze the psychosis of a zoophile. At the end of it, it is hard to feel any greater understanding or comprehension of such behavior. A point is made that with the advent of the internet, these communities are popping up all over the place, so it would seem prudent for society to gain a greater understanding of what the heck this is all about.

There is some discussion and analysis as to whether an animal can give consent or whether, like children, they are incapable of giving consent and should thereby be protected by law. At the time of this incident, Washington had no laws against bestiality.

The crazy thing about "Mr hands" is that he was a succesful aerospace engineer...financially stable, married with a son, high level security clearance, etc...when he died, there was an attempt to keep his identity concealed, but that did not last long.

Local video clip of the news coverage:

[YOUTUBE]eEy-pSudahM[/YOUTUBE]

sigpic

Comment

What rated version did Sundance show? I have wanted to see Zoo but I have heard some nasty stories about an unrated version that involves things I don't want to see.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            What rated version did Sundance show? I have wanted to see Zoo but I have heard some nasty stories about an unrated version that involves things I don't want to see.
                            Not sure, but there were was no sex in the movie.

There were some re-enactments at the end that show Mr Hands in a field with a horse. He is petting the horse and has his head up against the side of the horse.

But there is no footage of the acts. I would not have been able to watch that junk.

There was one scene that i thought was unintentionally funny. Another reenactment of the zoophiles hanging out at the farmhouse for the weekend. They were all sitting in the kitchen, talking about normal stuff, smoking a cigarette, etc....and getting treats and other stuff ready to take out to the horses. It was like they were getting ready for a date, but instead of bringing flowers and candy, they were bringing ears of corn, sugar cubes, apples, etc.. very romantic!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Nanking is a unique look at the Japanese invasion of China. Very emotional, but well done.
                              I watched this yesterday. Yes, it was very well done. I have read Iris Chang's book so I knew the story well, but it still floored me. The photos and the smuggled film taken by the missionary take your breath away. I have tremendous respect for the foreigners who stayed in the city to help when they could have left. Inspiring subplot in an otherwise horrific story.

Comment

Working...
                              X