Garmin Forerunner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Forerunner

I am thinking about getting a Forerunner 405, but the reviews on Amazon have made me nervous. Lots of unhappy users. Anyone here have one? Have you used it while cycling?

The 305 sounds like it is more reliable and it is quite a bit cheaper. But a lot more bulky.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

My wife has had the 205 for a while and I run with it occasionally. It works great and we both like it a lot. Haven't used while cycling.

The bulk of the 205 doesn't bother me. Sounds like the 205/305 version has more of the bugs worked out than the 405.

Comment

I have the Nuvi 760. I like it but likely not good for exercise. Great for car or when you are exploring a city on foot.

I am thinking of getting my wife a Nuvi for Valentines Day. She is always calling me in the middle of the day asking me for directions. "I have started to go to a therapist but can't find his office," "How do I get to the divorce attorney's office?" or "What is the address of that new single guy that moved into our ward?" stuff like that. It gets annoying. Use google maps!
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        My wife has had the 205 for a while and I run with it occasionally. It works great and we both like it a lot. Haven't used while cycling.

The bulk of the 205 doesn't bother me. Sounds like the 205/305 version has more of the bugs worked out than the 405.
        I have the 205. It's loads better than my old 101, or the 201, but I've never used it on a bike.

Do you plan to use the heartrate meter? That seems to be the main selling point of the 305. The 405 is cool-looking, that's for sure, but it's pricey.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I have the Nuvi 760.
          So do I.

(can it, YOhio)
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I love my 305. I use it on every run or bike. I would highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
              Do you plan to use the heartrate meter? That seems to be the main selling point of the 305.
              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                I love my 305. I use it on every run or bike. I would highly recommend it.
                Does it calculate calories on your bike ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Does it calculate calories on your bike ride?
                  It does. I have compared it to some online caloric calcuators and they seem to match up. I would say it is probably on the high side though.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                    It does. I have compared it to some online caloric calcuators and they seem to match up. I would say it is probably on the high side though.
                    OK, I think I will go with the 305. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I am thinking about getting a Forerunner 405, but the reviews on Amazon have made me nervous. Lots of unhappy users. Anyone here have one? Have you used it while cycling?

The 305 sounds like it is more reliable and it is quite a bit cheaper. But a lot more bulky.
                      I don't remember which one I have, but I never use it anymore. I love the iPod+ from Nike. Of course if you don't like Nike shoes that doesn't work.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I don't remember which one I have, but I never use it anymore. I love the iPod+ from Nike. Of course if you don't like Nike shoes that doesn't work.
                        I'm sure you already know that you can use the nike plus with non-nike shoes.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, does anyone have any suggestions for a GPS for my wife? The 760 is ok, but not perfect by any stretch.

She would use it in her car for the most part. An integrated bluetooth would be cool.

What personal navs do you all use?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            I will mainly use it on my bike. I have been messing with bike computers and they are crappy. For the money it costs to get a decent bike computer, I can buy a Garmin 305 and get far more functionality. Plus I could use it while running. The 305 will also work with my fluid trainer (with a $38 speed/cadence accessory). The bike computers almost all work on front wheel only, rendering them useless with a trainer.

Comment

My wife gave me the 305 for Christmas. I wasn't thrilled initially, as I had lousy luck with a Polar heart monitor a few years ago and never tried another. But the 305 works very well and I've been really impressed. It's cool to see your route pop up instantly on the screen after a ride or run, and seeing where along the route your rate jumped or dropped. It's also very motivating.

I liked it so much I decided to give one to the missus. I ordered one from Costco last Saturday ($160 plus shipping) and it arrived Tuesday. I believe I'm in line to become a Kirkland Scholar.

Comment

Working...
                              X