PDA

View Full Version : Nice QB recruit, Utes

SoCalCoug
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a close family member who knows Tyler Shreve personally. Tyler is a very good pro baseball prospect and was playing for his high school team, preparing for this summer's MLB draft (word is if he gets enough money, he's going to play baseball instead of football). However, he came to practice stoned one day and got kicked off the baseball team.

That would have been bad enough, except that shortly after getting kicked off the team, he went back and beat up the coach. Criminal charges are pending.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Whittingham said he is going to wait to see how the whole thing plays out before taking action. LOL.

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a close family member who knows Tyler Shreve personally. Tyler is a very good pro baseball prospect and was playing for his high school team, preparing for this summer's MLB draft (word is if he gets enough money, he's going to play baseball instead of football). However, he came to practice stoned one day and got kicked off the baseball team.

That would have been bad enough, except that shortly after getting kicked off the team, he went back and beat up the coach. Criminal charges are pending.

Whew! I was worried about that baseball draft taking him from the Utes.

SoCalCoug
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Whittingham said he is going to wait to see how the whole thing plays out before taking action. LOL.

They've already told him they're not pulling the scholarship.

UtahDan
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM

:confused:

Is the coach a family member of Max Hall's?

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
They've already told him they're not pulling the scholarship.

The article I read said there are no criminal charges. Apparently it wasn't a big deal.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
The article I read said there are no criminal charges. Apparently it wasn't a big deal.

Never a big deal to show up stoned for practice and then punch your coach.

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Never a big deal to show up stoned for practice and then punch your coach.

I never read anything about showing up stoned. Also, he didn't punch his coach. Link? You realize you are exposing yourself and this site's administrators to a libel claim? I want it clear I reject the rumors and negative information that have been posted about this young man and am not a party to them.

falafel
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM

I agree. Kids like this need 5, 6 chances before they get it, and they might not even get it then.

Katy Lied
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
What are the odds that Shreve can get the case postponed for 4 years?

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I never read anything about showing up stoned. Also, he didn't punch his coach. Link? You realize you are exposing yourself and this site's administrators to a libel claim? I want it clear I reject the rumors and negative information that have been posted about this young man and am not a party to them.

Looks like its not his first incident either.

http://ottoinfocus.com/?p=1922

On the ensuing kickoff, the Rebels attempted an onside kick, but the ball bounced down the field toward the Wildcats’ Tyler Shreve. The senior quarterback appeared to land on the ball after a mad scramble.

But it’s what happened after the play that had Strycula and the Rebels upset. When Shreve got to his feet, he allegedly threw a punch at a Rebel player. And that’s when tempers flared on both sides, resulting in a scuffle that was brought under control by the officials, coaches and game security.

After huddling together for several minutes and talking with the coaches, the officials decided end the game with 18 seconds left on the clock.

“I’m disappointed in Tyler Shreve for punching our kid to end the game,” Strycula said. “They have great kids, they do a great job, and have a great program. And when stuff like that happens it’s very disappointing.”

Goatnapper'96
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2010/02/baseball-trouble-for-tyler-shreve.html

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
The coach sounds like a real POS (in my opinion). Coach: "I'm going to ruin this kid's life. He'll be sorry he ever fucked with me. I will not be made a fool of." We all know the type. They are especially prevalent among coaching hacks.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Here is an article about the incident Socal is talking about:

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_14475006?source=most_viewed

"He and the coach had an argument," said Arden Wiltshire, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. "He became upset when he was dismissed from the team."

"He and the coach got into a dispute and it became physical, which led to him being arrested for assault.

Read more: http://www.sbsun.com/ci_14475006?source=most_viewed#ixzz0gxb1iq9j

UtahDan
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM

The website for Superior Court in San Bernadino County where his high school is located shows that he had a minor traffic infraction in December. No other charges, however. Smells stinky to me.

EDIT: Might be too new to have hit the system yet.

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2010/02/baseball-trouble-for-tyler-shreve.html

Does it say anything about criminal charges?

Do you know that "assault" can mean scaring somebody without touching them?

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
The website for Superior Court in San Bernadino County where his high school is located shows that he had a minor traffic infraction in December. No other charges, however. Smells stinky to me.

EDIT: Might be too new to have hit the system yet.

Wow so a traffic infraction, assault on his baseball coach, and assault on an opposing player during a football game. Good news for him he is going to Utah so he still has at least 3 or 4 more chances.

Goatnapper'96
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Looks like its not his first incident either.

http://ottoinfocus.com/?p=1922

I think punching a kid in a game versus a calculated decision to assault another human being in an effort to cover up other felony offenses are not similar incidents.

Emotions run high during athletic contests. This other incident is pretty serious, IMO.

I think the Ute baseball coach is the one demanding that Utah advocate for the second chance rule! Can't say I blame him either. The name of the game is to win.

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Shreve was not taken to jail on the misdemeanor charge, Wiltshire said.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Shreve because the school - in Mentone - is outside the jurisdiction of the Redlands Police Department.

Read more: http://www.sbsun.com/ci_14475006?source=most_viewed#ixzz0gxbhMADu

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I think punching a kid in a game versus a calculated decision to assault another human being in an effort to cover up other felony offenses are not similar incidents.

Emotions run high during athletic contests. This other incident is pretty serious, IMO.

I think the Ute baseball coach is the one demanding that Utah advocate for the second chance rule! Can't say I blame him either. The name of the game is to win.

Hot Lunch
03-01-2010, 01:57 PM

The recruit did make a huge mistake with what he did. Not cool at all but didn't BYU have a recruit get into a little legal trouble around signing day last year? Not sure I would throw stones on this one as a BYU fan.

mpfunk
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow so a traffic infraction, assault on his baseball coach, and assault on an opposing player during a football game. Good news for him he is going to Utah so he still has at least 3 or 4 more chances.

Again, you are sure not helping my claims that you are not the BYU version of Top Ute. These posts on both sides criticizing the discipline actions of the coaches are ridiculous. Whittingham could advocate the death of every player who commits a minor traffic offense and it still wouldn't be enough, same goes for BM and some Ute fans.

falafel
Does it say anything about criminal charges?

Do you know that "assault" can mean scaring somebody without touching them?

"He and the coach got into a dispute and it became physical, which led to him being arrested for assault."

Shreve was not taken to jail on the misdemeanor charge, Wiltshire said.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Shreve because the school - in Mentone - is outside the jurisdiction of the Redlands Police Department.

In a prepared statement, Shreve said his altercation with Cordes came after he was released from the team.

"As a result, I became very frustrated and engaged in a verbal and somewhat physical altercation with the head varsity baseball coach," he wrote. "I realize my actions were wrong, and I sincerely apologize. This was an isolated incident. I have never been in any trouble like this previously, and I'm committed to making sure that I never repeat this behavior."

http://www.dailybulletin.com/preps/ci_14475006

Donuthole
The coach sounds like a real POS (in my opinion). Coach: "I'm going to ruin this kid's life. He'll be sorry he ever fucked with me. I will not be made a fool of." We all know the type. They are especially prevalent among coaching hacks.
With an opinion like that, I can understand why you helped chase Majerus out of town.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
The recruit did make a huge mistake with what he did. Not cool at all but didn't BYU have a recruit get into a little legal trouble around signing day last year? Not sure I would throw stones on this one as a BYU fan.

He was also not allowed to enroll for a full year. Shreve on the other hand was told his schollie is still on the table and things are fine.

Hot Lunch
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
He was also not allowed to enroll for a full year. Shreve on the other hand was told his schollie is still on the table and things are fine.

Would you say a DUI and assualt deserve the same punishment?

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.dailybulletin.com/preps/ci_14475006

He was "not taken to jail on a misdemeanor charge."

falafel
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM

It said he was not taken to jail on the misdemeanor charge. He was still charged with a misdemeanor. The paragraph above talked about him being arrested as well.

old_gregg
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

He was "not taken to jail on a misdemeanor charge." You asked to see a reference stating he'd been charged.

also, lolocaust at even using the word libel. good one!

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

A DUI and assaulting your baseball coach after showing up to practice stoned are both bad. The level of badness who knows but they are both really bad. Some punishment is warranted, what happens when this kid starts trying to box Kwhits man boobs?

mpfunk
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm sure that depends on if it is a Utah player of a BYU player. If it is a BYU player any punishment (regardless of the length or the infraction) is an example of BM taking full control of his program and building men.

If it is a Utah player, the punishment regardless of the offense is an example of how Whittingham is far too lenient with his players and is running a thug program.

Hot Lunch
03-01-2010, 02:15 PM
A DUI and assaulting your baseball coach after showing up to practice stoned are both bad. The level of badness who knows but they are both really bad. Some punishment is warranted, what happens when this kid starts trying to box Kwhits man boobs?

I agree they are both bad and one could argue which is worse and deserves a bigger punishment. I am not arguing that he doesn't deserve punishment and I believe that he does. I am just saying that neither fan base has much room to throw stones in this situation as they have both seen a recruit screw up before arriving on campus.

SloanHater
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM

You Zoobs know nothing. Being stoned doesn't make you aggressive. He was probably drunk.

Get your rumors straight.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I agree they are both bad and one could argue which is worse and deserves a bigger punishment. I am not arguing that he doesn't deserve punishment and I believe that he does. I am just saying that neither fan base has much room to throw stones in this situation as they have both seen a recruit screw up before arriving on campus.

I am not throwing stones I am starting rumors, huge difference. :)

Hot Lunch
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
what happens when this kid starts trying to box Kwhits man boobs?

Yes there are certain seasons Whitt has man boobs, it all depends on the year he is having, but I would put my money on Whitt. This Q.B. would get his ass handed to him by Whitt if he ever tried something on him.

Hot Lunch
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I am not throwing stones I am starting rumors, huge difference. :)

You weren't but SoCal was. That is who I responded to with the throwing stones comment.

mpfunk
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree and in most situations the coaches should be given the benefit of the doubt, unless the coach proves that they shouldn't be trusted with discipline. The coaches are in the best position to make these determinations because they actually know the kids. Look around the nation both Whittingham and BM run programs that don't have a lot of problems. Both coaches have earned the benefit of the doubt on discipline matters.

LA Ute
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Again, you are sure not helping my claims that you are not the BYU version of Top Ute.

I don't know about you, funk, but I find BYU fans' concern over the moral character and fitness of Ute recruits quite touching.

LA Ute
03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm sure that depends on if it is a Utah player of a BYU player. If it is a BYU player any punishment (regardless of the length or the infraction) is an example of BM taking full control of his program and building men.

If it is a Utah player, the punishment regardless of the offense is an example of how Whittingham is far too lenient with his players and is running a thug program.

You are on a roll, funk.

Goatnapper'96
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Well if he is not drafted but wants to continue to play baseball where is the most likely location he will continue his baseball career?

DU Ute
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't know about you, funk, but I find BYU fans' concern over the moral character and fitness of Ute recruits quite touching.

I agree, junkie touches me frequently.

falafel
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree, junkie touches me frequently.

I read that as "touchés," which is probably true as well.

LA Ute
03-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I read that as "touchés," which is probably true as well.

Have I called you a miserable vomitous mass lately, you warthog faced buffoon?

falafel
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM

You can never flatter me enough. :)

DU Ute
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM

It's rivalry week you might as well come out and call them all miserable vomitous massed warthog faced buffoons. The whole lot of 'em.

cougjunkie
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
It's rivalry week you might as well come out and call them all miserable vomitous massed warthog faced buffoons. The whole lot of 'em.

Then immediately post about how vicious the rivalry has gotten and how you hate it when its like that.

Jarid in Cedar
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Then immediately post about how vicious the rivalry has gotten and how you hate it when its like that.

No that is me, and this will be my only foray into this thread.

Other than to say, I hope he grows up some and can learn to control his temper. If he can't, he will be another kid who wasted his talents.

Art Vandelay
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

You took the words out of my mouth JIC.

This is also my one and done post.

LA Ute
03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Junkie, I think you were one of the first three miserable vomitous masses designated on this board, along with YOhio and fallawful. That's pretty heady company. You got into that category even before Lebowski made it. (SU leaped immediately to Rodent of Unusual Size status, but he's in a class by humself.) The common theme among all you guys is that I like you (Heaven help me!). Also, you only became MVMs after besting me on some point or another (usually a very minor one, of course). So stop carping, you miserable vomitous mass.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8LM0RqNE1HGywM:http://brucefong.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/warthog.jpg

happyone
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Other than to say, I hope he grows up some and can learn to control his temper. If he can't, he will be another kid who wasted his talents.

:ditto:

Blueintheface
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Junkie, I think you were one of the first three miserable vomitous masses designated on this board, along with YOhio and fallawful. That's pretty heady company. You got into that category even before Lebowski made it. (SU leaped immediately to Rodent of Unusual Size status, but he's in a class by humself.) The common theme among all you guys is that I like you (Heaven help me!). Also, you only became MVMs after besting me on some point or another (usually a very minor one, of course). So stop carping, you miserable vomitous mass.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8LM0RqNE1HGywM:http://brucefong.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/warthog.jpg

I can't wait until Wednesday night is finished and this site can get back to some semblance of civility.

SoCalCoug
03-01-2010, 03:34 PM

He was arrested last week. Thursday, I think.

LA Ute
03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I can't wait until Wednesday night is finished and this site can get back to some semblance of civility.

Just in case you're not joking, all these Princess Bride references are affectionate teasing. Just ask that MVM YOhio.

SoCalCoug
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM

This is my source's concern. The kid's really arrogant - not a bad kid, but full of himself.

Blueintheface
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Just in case you're not joking, all these Princess Bride references are affectionate teasing. Just ask that MVM YOhio.

My wink ended up in the title instead of following my message, so yes, I was joking.

jay santos
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Is this where I'm supposed to fake like I'm morally superior because my alma mater recruits athletes with more moral integrity than its rival? Sorry, just don't have the energy for it this time.

creekster
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Is this where I'm supposed to fake like I'm morally superior because my alma mater recruits athletes with more moral integrity than its rival? Sorry, just don't have the energy for it this time.

No it's where you pretend to be surprised that some atheltic kid coddled his whole life acts like he is spoiled. THEN you fake moral superiority.

SeattleUte
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
No it's where you pretend to be surprised that some atheltic kid coddled his whole life acts like he is spoiled. THEN you fake moral superiority.

lol

Portland Ute
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM

...and BYU kept a schollie for a kid that had been involved in underage drinking and DUI multiple times.

SCC has firmly established the higher ground for BYU... :sick:

Portland Ute
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Link?

Katy Lied
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM

This is some serious criticism of a coach you know nothing about.

Some punishment is warranted, what happens when this kid starts trying to box Kwhits man boobs?

In all honesty, Kyle is in great shape right now, and has been in great shape since about 2007. No moobs on him.

...and BYU kept a schollie for a kid that had been involved in underage drinking and DUI multiple times.

And when they don't keep a schollie for him Ute fans complain that BM is so uncaring and sanctimonious and won't allow for repentance.

And if I were the coach, I would not have tossed him for showing up stoned. Lotta fuss about very little.

Flattop
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks, I feel better about my rush to judgement and decision to throw this kid away.

Goatnapper'96
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Link?

I thought it was pretty well known that Mendenhall told Van Noy that he could not enroll at BYU until he had gone a year without any issues. I think it is a bit dishonest to make it sound like he had to sit out a year as the kid's DUI was December '08 and that one year period included the second semester of his senior year of HS. However, Bronco would not allow Van Noy to enroll until January of 2010 and thus Kyle sat out the 2009 season. Van Noy was also informed of this before he signed his LOI so he could have gone elsewhere.

Goatnapper'96
03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
In all honesty, Kyle is in great shape right now, and has been in great shape since about 2007. No moobs on him.

I don't care what anyone ever says about it, but Kyle's physical appearance after John Beck hit Harline will forever be on the funniest sights in this rivalry. It wasn't just Kyle being overweight in clothes not yet adjusted for the new found girth, sporting a camel toe that would make Air Supply blush and crying like a bitch, it is that being cool is soooooo important to Utenation. BYU has some real dorks in its fanbase and a unique administration, but I cannot recall any sights of a BYU coach as that uncool all at once. It was the irony. If it were a head coach from Harvard or Yale, it would not have been nearly as funny. They care about being tolerant, not cool.

And if I were the coach, I would not have tossed him for showing up stoned. Lotta fuss about very little.

With this I agree. Attacking a coach is pretty serious IMO, but showing up to practice stoned is not that big of a deal even if it is a felony or a misdeameanor.

LA Ute
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
. . . being cool is soooooo important to Utenation.

Haven't been to a game at RES for a while, eh? ;)

Goatnapper'96
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Haven't been to a game at RES for a while, eh? ;)

In all honesty, I have yet to make one at all yet. Senioritis invited me to a couple but I have yet to get down there for one. The beauty of Ute coolness is that while it is so important to the Ute psyche, to differentiate it from the BYU, when the dust settles I am convinced that Utenation ranks in triple digits on the coolness scale right ahead of BYU and behind every other FBS program. But as I always say, even Afghanastan has its best golfer!

Spicy McHaggis
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
He should have boozed it up and driven a few times, then The Donc would have recruited him.

Spicy McHaggis
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
In all honesty, I have yet to make one at all yet. Senioritis invited me to a couple but I have yet to get down there for one. The beauty of Ute coolness is that while it is so important to the Ute psyche, to differentiate it from the BYU, when the dust settles I am convinced that Utenation ranks in triple digits on the coolness scale right ahead of BYU and behind every other FBS program. But as I always say, even Afghanastan has its best golfer!

Have you looked around when you're at LES? Evidently you haven't.

falafel
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
He should have boozed it up and driven a few times, then The Donc would have recruited him.

And Spicy McHaggis is off to a great start!

Hot Lunch
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM

:rofl: Where did you come from? You are awesome. I hope with posts like this you stick around and enjoy the community.

Jarid in Cedar
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Wow, like that response wasn't predictable. Tribtown is searching for their idiot.

Coach McGuirk
03-02-2010, 03:37 PM
That is only the second time I have seen Donko or a derivative on CUF. Lets keep it at two.

Solon
03-02-2010, 04:27 PM
sporting a camel toe . . . crying like a bitch,

Why does goatnapper always get a pass on writing crap like this?

kccougar
03-02-2010, 04:47 PM

To paraphrase DDD about SeattleUte...because he's funny.

Goatnapper'96
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM

For many reasons I suppose.

1.) The dude did have camel toe. Mocking Bronco for the clothes he wears or that he communicates like a drunk Philosophy PHD student that is never able to pass his thesis and has the market cornered for run on sentences would be equally accurate.

2.) Probably the bigger one is that I am also willing to give the man credit when he does things that are noteworthy. This fellow has never commented on Bronco other than this reference. I don't pretend that Kyle is a dirtbag or a bad head coach. While I mock his appearance at that painful moment for some, the greater body of work conveys that I can be very objective about what transpires on the field and how he runs his program.

3.) I am pretty damn good looking even though I stayed chaste until my marriage.

I also think that my mocking of Kyle doesn't indicate any personal malice towards him or the University of Utah. I think that after establishing that one can participate in juvenile rivalry smack on occassion. To me the line is crossed when one is unable to ever say positive things about the opponent, spend time trashing the character of opposing players or coaches or have genuine malice about the opposing institution or team.

Are PAC and I the only ones who enjoyed the witty sarcasm at cameltoe.org before the dude ran off and did douche bags with hot chicks? I admit I am not as funny as that guy was but the moment was still priceless for those of us that find that pass symbolic of our own personal Andy Dufresne leaving the sewer pipe in "The Shawshank Redemption."

beelzebabette
03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
GN, I think he was referring to the misogynistic tones

Solon
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
GN, I think he was referring to the misogynistic tones

Mock Kyle all you want. I was referring to the way you mocked him by comparing him to a woman.

But you should understand that this type of frat-boy hypermasculinity is usually compensation for a small package.

Usually.

LA Ute
03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
But you should understand that this type of frat-boy hypermasculinity is usually compensation for a small package.

This is a . . . low blow. But it was invited.

Goatnapper'96
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Mock Kyle all you want. I was referring to the way you mocked him by comparing him to a woman.

Usually.

So you are saying there might be other reasons I wasn't tapping all those Laurel Class Presidents back in the day?!

Probably guilty as charged, but never underestimate the power of corrective surgeries my friend!

Mr. Crimson
03-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Harvey Unga was a drug dealer and Derek Stephenson tried to shoot a guy but the gun jammed.

We all find wiggle room when it comes to athletes.

Blueintheface
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Harvey Unga was a drug dealer and Derek Stephenson tried to shoot a guy but the gun jammed.

I love the Wiggles.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/Blueintheface_photos/TheWiggles.jpg

PaloAltoCougar
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Napper's vocabulary arsenal and command-style sentence structure were generated on the banks of the Hudson and the mean streets of Bosnia. It took us a full decade after that conflict, and payment of hefty charm school tuition, to transform him into the relatively refined, sophisticated boulevardier that he is.

... Are PAC and I the only ones who enjoyed the witty sarcasm at cameltoe.org before the dude ran off and did douche bags with hot chicks?

That was the most unfortunate and distasteful rebranding of a once-great product since New Coke. I've not returned to the site in several years, and won't.

DU Ute
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Napper's vocabulary arsenal and command-style sentence structure were generated on the banks of the Hudson and the mean streets of Bosnia. It took us a full decade after that conflict, and payment of hefty charm school tuition, to transform him into the relatively refined, sophisticated boulevardier that he is.

That was the most unfortunate and distasteful rebranding of a once-great product since New Coke. I've not returned to the site in several years, and won't.

I take pride in recognizing most of the people in your daily avatars. Today I am proud that I do not.

DU Ute
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
I take pride in recognizing most of the people in your daily avatars. Today I am proud that I do not.

Well I just did a little research and I had no idea that was Tom Wolfe, I thought it was some old Fred Astaire wannabe. Now I just feel stupid. Thanks, PAC.

Solon
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
So you are saying there might be other reasons I wasn't tapping all those Laurel Class Presidents back in the day?!

Probably guilty as charged, but never underestimate the power of corrective surgeries my friend!

Hey, I said "usually." You're probably an exception.

Seriousy, though, I think goatnapper's great (for a ring-knocker) and I was just poking a little fun. No harm intended.

To go back to the original question, it seems that nobody minds his verbiage. I'm sure it has to do with his essential charm and longstanding reputation. I also think it might mean that people aren't taking things too seriously around here (which is a good idea).

So hey, if nobody's complaining, I'm certainly not going to stand in your way. Carry on.

LA Ute
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey, I said "usually." You're probably an exception.

Seriousy, though, I think goatnapper's great (for a ring-knocker) and I was just poking a little fun. No harm intended.

To go back to the original question, it seems that nobody minds his verbiage. I'm sure it has to do with his essential charm and longstanding reputation. I also think it might mean that people aren't taking things too seriously around here (which is a good idea).

So hey, if nobody's complaining, I'm certainly not going to stand in your way. Carry on.

Actually, Goat knows that although I love him, I hate his language. There is good in the young man, however, which is why I strive with him. He is salvageable.

cougjunkie
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM

We should get in to which team has had the worst transgressions.

Should we start with Pauli Latu or Ben Moa?

mpfunk
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that Harold Lusk is going to win this award, but we Ute fans prefer not to claim him.

DU Ute
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM

I've actually done the analysis and you might be surprised. Using a weighted Sin And Transgression Analytical Numerological Factor (or SATAN Factor), BYU players come out as the top transgressors for the past ten years with a SATAN Factor of 187.1 compared with Utah's score of only 74.9. Of course, this is weighed based on self righteousness, so holding themselves to a higher standard really came back to bite the Y's fine young men in the ass.

Senioritis
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I've actually done the analysis and you might be surprised. Using a weighted Sin And Transgression Analytical Numerological Factor (or SATAN Factor), BYU players come out as the top transgressors for the past ten years with a SATAN Factor of 187.1 compared with Utah's score of only 74.9. Of course, this is weighed based on self righteousness, so holding themselves to a higher standard really came back to bite the Y's fine young men in the ass.

For clarification, what is the SATAN factor of just a one time bite in the ass incident from a non-LDS player from a single parent household?

DU Ute
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
For clarification, what is the SATAN factor of just a one time bite in the ass incident from a non-LDS player from a single parent household?

Is this some sort of trick question? Or did O'Neal Chambers do something I haven't gotten wind of?

Senioritis
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Is this some sort of trick question? Or did O'Neal Chambers do something I haven't gotten wind of?

I guess it's a sort of indirect confession. Thanks for listening, this is very therapeutic.

DU Ute
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess it's a sort of indirect confession. Thanks for listening, this is very therapeutic.

No problem, I'm sure the past 24 hours have been pretty traumatic for you. I'm here to help.

Blueintheface
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

:D Well done.

Portland Ute
03-03-2010, 03:55 PM
That is only the second time I have seen Donko or a derivative on CUF. Lets keep it at two.

Can we increase that number every time someone uses some variation of Kryle, etc?

Katy Lied
03-06-2010, 04:55 AM

I dont see it. Oh wait... are you referring to the "bitch" reference? You equate that to women?

:D

Katy Lied
03-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Update: Tyler Shreve has been expelled from his high school, for the coach incident.

I wait with bated breath on Whitt's response.

DU Ute
03-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Update: Tyler Shreve has been expelled from his high school, for the coach incident.

Whatever Whit does, I'm sure some BYU fans will bitch about it.

:D

myboynoah
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

How does that affect a kid's eligibility? Honest question. Is entrance into UoU and/or BYU contingent upon one having an HS diploma?

SeattleUte
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM

A kid makes a mistake so here's what should happen: A bunch of fifty year old guys should conspire to completely destroy his life. Is that it?

He won't have trouble finding a plae to enroll to finish his diploma.

this is not Whit's problem, not his jurisdiction.

LA Ute
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Who knows what will happen? Sometimes kids are reinstated after expressing proper remorse and agreeing to a behavior contract.

This thread made me think of something a little off-beat for me. My high school football coach was someone who might have benefited from being decked by one of his players. (I thought to myself last night: "I wish someone had punched out _________.") In other words, I would not have been unhappy to see that happen. Anyone else ever have a coach like that?

SeattleUte
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Who knows what will happen? Sometimes kids are reinstated after expressing proper remorse and agreeing to a behavior contract.

This thread made me think of something a little off-beat for me. My high school football coach was someone who might have benefited from being decked by one of his players. (I thought to myself last night: "I wish someone had punched out _________." In other words, I would not have been unhappy to see that happen. Anyone else ever have a coach like that?

The coach may well be a SOB. He's in a demographic overpopulated with them.

il Padrino Ute
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM

This thread made me think of something a little off-beat for me. My high school football coach was someone who might have benefited from being decked by one of his players. (I thought to myself last night: "I wish someone had punched out _________." In other words, I would not have been unhappy to see that happen. Anyone else ever have a coach like that?

The football coach of the soph team when I was that age was a guy like that. The trouble was that he was a mean, nasty person who wouldn't have hesitated to hit any kid that took a swing at him.

myboynoah
03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
This is great how this has turned into a "So many coaches need to be punched" conversation.

SeattleUte
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
This is great how this has turned into a "So many coaches need to be punched" conversation.

I'm sure there are many more who deserve to be than ge it.

LA Ute
03-06-2010, 04:31 PM

I didn't mean my post that way. Shreve has some work to do, IMO, and assuming we know the whole story.

myboynoah
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm sure there are many more who deserve to be than ge it.

No doubt. I was thinking the same could probably be said of mothers, nuns, Red Cross volunteers, and even lawyers.

Goatnapper'96
03-06-2010, 09:47 PM

My 9th grade hoop coach was an ass. He often scrimaged with us due to a lack of players. Once during a drill I set a pick and he just ran me over. As I get up he looks at me and says: "that was a moving screen." To which I responded: "no shit, you moved me halfway across the court." Next time I picked him, I drop stepped as he came by and drilled him in the kidneys as hard as I could.

John McClain
03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
My sophomore football coach made the entire team walk off the field and get on the buses at Tooele High School because he was so upset with the refs. The game was officially a forfeit; but it didn't teach us much about sportsmanship.

old_gregg
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
on my little league team growing up there was a kid who was mildly handicapped and came from a really bad home, but he was nice enough. one day he missed practice, without calling the coach to do something family related, and the day he came back we had "ralph patrol:" he got a five second head start and then the rest of the team would chase him down and take shots at him. this happened multiple times. i've never seen someone so disheartened and just plain hurt. for the great record annals of the internet, and for google search purposes, the coach's name was scott larsen (google tags: larsen electric, wf electric, chris larsen, biss larsen, nc state, north carolina state). he's unfit to be associated with ute conference little league, or uhsaa activities in any way. to this day, i can't understand what would have to be going on in a 40+ year old man's head to do something like that. it was probably the worst thing i've seen done to a kid.

/rant

CJF
03-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Dickson. I never played for him but I hated him from the two summer camps I attended in the 6th and 7th grade. He was named correctly.

TripletDaddy
03-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Tyler Shreve formally charged with battery

ESPN Utah recruit charged with battering coach -ESPN Rise FOOTBALL (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4977233)

Shreve, a 6-foot-4 pitcher and starting quarterback, was expelled last Thursday and was formally charged with misdemeanor battery on a school official Friday, according to Susan Mickey, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County District Attorney's office.
According to The Press-Enterprise of Riverside, the incident took place in a school conference room. Shreve, his parents, Redlands East Valley principal John Maloney and Cordes were all present. Shreve attacked Cordes after he informed the group of his decision to dismiss Shreve for not going to class and not respecting the coaching staff. Shreve's father Tony pulled him off the coach, who was injured but not serious enough to warrant hospitalization.Fortunately, he confirmed that he still has his scholarship to the U.

basically, this kid attacked his coach right in front of his parents and the principal. Sounds like a bright bulb.

Despite the eyewitnesses to the event, the expulsion, and the criminal charges, we still don't know exactly what happened so I am reserving judgment on this one, folks.

SeattleUte
03-08-2010, 05:38 PM

ESPN Utah recruit charged with battering coach -ESPN Rise FOOTBALL (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4977233)

Fortunately, he confirmed that he still has his scholarship to the U.

basically, this kid attacked his coach right in front of his parents and the principal. Sounds like a bright bulb.

Despite the eyewitnesses to the event, the expulsion, and the criminal charges, we still don't know exactly what happened so I am reserving judgment on this one, folks.

yawn

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
yawn

I hope the kid can put this behind him. 18 is pretty young to make stupid, life-altering mistakes, especially for a guy with so much potential.

Blueintheface
03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I had no idea he had done this in front of his family AND the principal. Wow! So we can speculate all we want but the eyewitnesses...they are to be ignored or yawned at? I see.

TripletDaddy
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
yawn

Whit seems to be taking the same approach to this violent predator.

I wonder if Whit will be so casual once Tyler Shreve attacks him.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Fortunately, he confirmed that he still has his scholarship to the U.

I'm happy to see that you've come around to forget about this Miami nonsense.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Whit seems to be taking the same approach to this violent predator.

I wonder if Whit will be so casual once Tyler Shreve attacks him.

Whit would kill Shreve and not even break a sweat in the process.

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I had no idea he had done this in front of his family AND the principal. Wow! So we can speculate all we want but the eyewitnesses...they are to be ignored or yawned at? I see.

This incident has all the earmarks of a Wheaties overdose.

TripletDaddy
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm happy to see that you've come around to forget about this Miami nonsense.

Oh, I recognize the U. I don't begrudge the drum and feather logo either, even though it is obviously copied from the Washington Redskins. Same with the U hand sign, Ute Walk, et al.

These are great traditions and if you are going to steal them, might as well steal them from storied franchises.

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh, I recognize the U. I don't begrudge the drum and feather logo either, even though it is obviously copied from the Washington Redskins. Same with the U hand sign, Ute Walk, et al.

These are great traditions and if you are going to steal them, might as well steal them from storied franchises.

Like that Y logo, which everyone outside Utah thinks stands for Yale. Ironic that the Harvard of the West would be mistaken for Handsome Dan's school.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/12.04/photos/36-football6-450.jpg

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM

I'm calling you out.

Prove it. Empirical evidence, please, not supposition.

I'll grant you the Ute walk. That is stolen. But the rest?

All-American
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm calling you out.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

The redskins first used the drum and feather in 1970; Utah, in 1975. Designed by Vince Lombardi, apparently.

cougjunkie
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm calling you out.

Here is the redskins logo history all the way back to 1937. Looks like they adopted the logo most similar to Utahs back in 1970-1971.

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=168

Utah did not adopt the drum and feather until at least 1975.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=f59mntuxy6z31v0gapgueoyg2

So that is copied.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

The redskins first used the drum and feather in 1970; Utah, in 1975.

Ok, the drum and feather were stolen.

Now the big one. Where's the proof of the U hand sign?

cougjunkie
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Like that Y logo, which everyone outside Utah thinks stands for Yale. Ironic that the Harvard of the West would be mistaken for Handsome Dan's school.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/12.04/photos/36-football6-450.jpg

By the way Yale did not officially adopt any sort of Y as part of their logo until 1972.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=diwhagy63ahp2bnd5fti

BYU had adopted a Y as part of their logo 6 years later in 1978. However BYU used strictly the Y as their logo. Yale used the bulldog and a Y.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=j5yfssi0hiffoz3i8veh20gwu

Yale did not start using the Y as the main piece of their logo until 1998.
http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=jhpg3m0lftpbr3701ofbsd567

20 years after BYU.

cougjunkie
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok, the drum and feather were stolen.

Now the big one. Where's the proof of the U hand sign?

The proof for that is common sense. Nobody saw that being used by Utah fans until at least 2004.

The Miami Hurricanes have been using it since the early eighties.

That one is obvious and not really arguable.

All-American
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
The proof for that is common sense. Nobody saw that being used by Utah fans until at least 2004.

Oh, and Miami put the U on their helmet in 1972.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM

It's obvious to you, perhaps because you're young and haven't lived in Utah all your life.

My brother in law played baseball for the U in the mid 70s. The baseball players would flash the U with their hands to each other and other sports athletes when he was in school there.

All-American
03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm willing to concede that both versions of the U hand gesture arose independent of the other if you are willing to concede that they are both lame. I won't make you admit that Miami's is somewhat less lame.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm willing to concede that both versions of the U hand gesture arose independent of the other if you are willing to concede that they are both lame. I won't make you admit that Miami's is somewhat less lame.

Miami's hand signal is lame.

The real U's hand signal rocks.

All-American
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Miami's hand signal is lame.

The real U's hand signal rocks.

False.

Miami's gesture evokes more of this feel:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nVyI59zqo91rjM:http://larbage.com/photos/tumblr_kpj8tgfri11qzog46o1_500.jpg

Whereas Utah inspires thoughts of a different kind:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:L-df-OYsOhWtJM:http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/633/633.x580.web.out.quiz.pussy.jpg

YOhio
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm calling you out.

"Prove that we stole it! Prove it!!!"

:rofl:

YOhio
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
My brother in law played baseball for the U in the mid 70s. The baseball players would flash the U with their hands to each other and other sports athletes when he was in school there.

:bsflag:

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
"Prove that we stole it! Prove it!!!"

:rofl:

You're late to this. All but the hand signal has been proven stolen.

However, I'll give you points for trying.

TripletDaddy
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
By the way Yale did not officially adopt any sort of Y as part of their logo until 1972.

BYU had adopted a Y as part of their logo 6 years later in 1978. However BYU used strictly the Y as their logo. Yale used the bulldog and a Y.

20 years after BYU.

The Y "logo" is he stretch oval Y, which has nothing to do with Yale and looks nothing like the Yale Y.

The block Y that does look like the Yale logo is from the block Y on Y Mountain. Not sure when that went up, but it is not derivative from Yale, although they definitely look similar. As far as I know, this iteration is not an "official" byu logo. It is just a Y.

The other "block" Y that appeared on the bib uni helmets isn't a Yale config. Doesn't look like the Yale Y.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
False.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nVyI59zqo91rjM:http://larbage.com/photos/tumblr_kpj8tgfri11qzog46o1_500.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:L-df-OYsOhWtJM:http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/633/633.x580.web.out.quiz.pussy.jpg

I don't understand either one of those.

myboynoah
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
You're late to this. All but the hand signal has been proven stolen.

However, I'll give you points for trying.

IPU is correct. We used to do that "U" hand signal all the time growing up in Utah, especially in junior high school.

http://familyfun.go.com/assets/cms/playtime/play-table-top-football-games-photo-420-FF1104TTNA01.jpg

Line it up and kick away!

http://www.utefans.net/images/logos/uhands_circle.gif

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM

20 years after BYU.

LOL. People outside Utah still think it's Yale when they see a Y. Sorry, but it's true. BYU is widely known, but not the Y symbol.

The whole thing with the "Y" began when early Cougar students gave up on putting "BYU" on the hill above the campus and called it a day with a "Y." That's kind of like George Mason University going with a big "M."

myboynoah
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
LOL. People outside Utah still think it's Yale when they see a Y. Sorry, but it's true. BYU is widely known, but not the Y symbol.

The whole thing with the "Y" began when early Cougar students gave up on putting "BYU" on the hill above the campus and called it a day with a "Y." That's kind of like George Mason University going with a big "M."

No need to apologize.

So, you're suggesting that when people see a team wearing this helmet, they automatically conclude that it must be Yale that is playing.

http://www.gridironclassicspro.com/files/3284209/uploaded/byu%20bigpic.jpg

YOhio
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM

:rolleyes:

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
No need to apologize.

So, you're suggesting that when people see a team wearing this helmet, they automatically conclude that it must be Yale that is playing.

http://www.gridironclassicspro.com/files/3284209/uploaded/byu%20bigpic.jpg

No, I won't go that far. The probably just wonder where Young University is.

DU Ute
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
No need to apologize.

I'm sure the mix-up was a lot more common during the Crowton years.

LA Ute
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
It's actually a very appropriate abbreviation for BYU:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/lowellbrown/309705868_6decf34421.jpg?t=1268113559

TheBYUGuy
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM

LOL. Link?

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
People like to smack about some of the stupidest stuff:blink:

myboynoah
03-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Yeah LA, the stupidest stuff.

All-American
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM

See? Even Jarid admits that the hand gesture is lame.

il Padrino Ute
03-08-2010, 11:22 PM

I've got a hand gesture for you, AA:

:finger2:

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Smack about it is as lame as the missing B-U on the mtn.

old_gregg
03-09-2010, 01:08 AM
False.

:applause:

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Now you're on the verge of hurting my feelings . . . .

For the record, this is indeed stupid. But I didn't start it. You caught me in a frivolous mood. I hope you will forgive me, even though I have no intention of apologizing.

You're all miserable vomitous masses.

cougjunkie
03-09-2010, 07:53 AM
It's actually a very appropriate abbreviation for BYU:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/lowellbrown/309705868_6decf34421.jpg?t=1268113559

Did the folks in good old Pleasant Grove have the same problem when they only put a "G" on the mountain?

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Did the folks in good old Pleasant Grove have the same problem when they only put a "G" on the mountain?

Now you are beginning to see the problem! You guys should stick with this:

:byu1:

Then you won't be "The Why?" any more.

YOhio
03-09-2010, 08:07 AM

:highfive:

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
:highfive:

Keeping in mind that this thread was started by a BYU fan and is all about "recruit wrongdoing smack," and the discussion about the "U" symbol was also started by a BYU fan, I guess you re saying that I should be sorry I brought the level of discourse down?

YOhio
03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Keeping in mind that this thread was started by a BYU fan and is all about "recruit wrongdoing smack," and the discussion about the "U" symbol was also started by a BYU fan, I guess you re saying that I should be sorry I brought the level of discourse down?

You like to talk smack about the stupidest stuff. :blink:

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM
IIRC, the U hand signal was first adopted by the women's gymnastics team about 5-6 years ago.

At least, that's where I first saw it.

U-Ute

I.J. Reilly
03-09-2010, 08:30 AM

LA's smack is the greatest. Its like the smack you would expect to hear from Santa Claus.

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Yeah, your smack is so much more high brow.

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 08:32 AM

It only goes to show the level of insecurities in their fan base.

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
LA's smack is the greatest. Its like the smack you would expect to hear from Santa Claus.

LA Ute is Santa Claus? No wonder Christmas is so damned expensive.

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 08:35 AM

True. We all know that in Utah County, PG would be much more appropriate.

YOhio
03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah, your smack is so much more high brow.

Thank you and I agree.

U-Ute
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Thank you and I agree.

Unfortunately your sarcasm meter doesn't appear to be up to spec.

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM

I am the guy on the left:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/lowellbrown/UteSanta-1.jpg?t=1268158246

See, this is what happens when I try to engage in light-hearted banter with you guys. You get all huffy about it and suck all the fun out of the room.

Bunch of warthog-faced buffoons.

YOhio
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately your sarcasm meter doesn't appear to be up to spec.

That's long been a problem of mine.

YOhio
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
See, this is what happens when I try to engage in light-hearted banter with you guys. You get all huffy about it and suck all the fun out of the room.

Bunch of warthog-faced buffoons.

I'm still having fun!

Blueintheface
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm not saying I want to build a summer home on CUF but the trees are actually quite lovely.

SeattleUte
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a growing feeling this incident means Tyler Shreve will be the sourge of BYU. Oh the irony! I can hear Hallelujah now saying the Utes have a coach beater at the helm.

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I have a growing feeling this incident means Tyler Shreve will be the sourge of BYU. Oh the irony! I can hear Hallelujah now saying the Utes have a coach beater at the helm.

By the way, you are likely the only guy here who recognizes the man in my avatar.

SeattleUte
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
By the way, you are likely the only guy here who recognizes the man in my avatar.

Seriously? I bet Mr. Crimson does. (You've heard my story about lunch with him when I was a kid I assume.)

Blueintheface
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM

I have a growing feeling he never steps foot on campus next spring. Sounds like the kid's got a legit shot at a baseball career.

hostile
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Not true. My dad played for him for 4 years. I met him when he was considerably older than in your photo. I think you should keep it as your permanent avatar.

il Padrino Ute
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM

jack gardner?

LA Ute
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Seriously? I bet Mr. Crimson does. (You've heard my story about lunch with him when I was a kid I assume.)

Yep. I finally got to meet him at the Final Four in 1998 - the evening of the final game against Kentucky. It was quite an emotional moment to see him there.

jack gardner?

The one and only!

hostile
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Yep. I finally got to meet him at the Final Four in 1998 - the evening of the final game against Kentucky. It was quite an emotional moment to see him there.

I met him with my dad in Anaheim that same year at the sweet 16. It was one of the highlights of that entire post season.

Katy Lied
03-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Serious question for the lawyers out there: Could the coach (who was assaulted by Shreve) wait and see if he gets drafted, and then sue him for damages? Presumably Shreve will get some sort of signing bonus or contract.

All-American
03-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Serious question for the lawyers out there: Could the coach (who was assaulted by Shreve) wait and see if he gets drafted, and then sue him for damages? Presumably Shreve will get some sort of signing bonus or contract.

I'm sure there's some statute of limitations on battery, but I would think it would be at least a year.

BoylenOver
03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
You Big Yellow Underwear fans can mock, but we're headlining a story on Yahoo's primary CFB blog:

Headlinin': Will no one curb the lawless infamy of ... Utah football? (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Headlinin-Will-no-one-curb-the-lawless-infamy-?urn=ncaaf,227143)

A Utah recruit slugs his baseball coach after being cut from the team, is expelled from high school, and for the moment is still hanging on to his football scholarship offer from the Utes. This is irrefutable proof that Kyle Whittingham is ready to helm a Big Six program.

I totally agree.

Surfah
03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
You Big Yellow Underwear fans can mock, but we're headlining a story on Yahoo's primary CFB blog:

Headlinin': Will no one curb the lawless infamy of ... Utah football? (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Headlinin-Will-no-one-curb-the-lawless-infamy-?urn=ncaaf,227143)

I totally agree.

That's actually pretty funny. And quite possibly true.

creekster
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

SHreve's income is, in theory, irrelevant to the amount of damage suffered by the coach. Thus, he can sue now, obtain a judgment, and then he can collect at leisure.