• Show
Clear All

• Band of Brothers Blu-Ray DVD Sale $34.99

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-...FVARMV1ZJ7WZ6M

That's a ridiculous price.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

I was at Circuit City this weekend and they were having their liquidation sale. I noticed that there are hundreds of movies on Blu-Ray now, but many of them are older movies. is there any advantage to that since the source film was not shot in blu-ray? what is the point of an older movie on blu-ray or HD, for that matter?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Dang. I should have ebayed my copy a couple of years ago.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I was at Circuit City this weekend and they were having their liquidation sale. I noticed that there are hundreds of movies on Blu-Ray now, but many of them are older movies. is there any advantage to that since the source film was not shot in blu-ray? what is the point of an older movie on blu-ray or HD, for that matter?
        IT is not about the format of the orignal, it is about the resolution of the reproduciton. FIlm is and always has been a much higher resolution than standard video. A blu-ray (1080p) disc will make it look like film.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          IT is not about the format of the orignal, it is about the resolution of the reproduciton. FIlm is and always has been a much higher resolution than standard video. A blu-ray (1080p) disc will make it look like film.

It will not be quite the same caliber as if it had been shot in HD originally, but you wouldn't be able to notice that without comparing it side by side to the exact same content shot in 1080p HD (which is impossible, as it was not filmed in HD). IOW, it won't look as good as original HD content, but it will still look like damn good HD.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

It will not be quite the same caliber as if it had been shot in HD originally, but you wouldn't be able to notice that without comparing it side by side to the exact same content shot in 1080p HD (which is impossible, as it was not filmed in HD). IOW, it won't look as good as original HD content, but it will still look like damn good HD.
            Are you sure about thgat? I am not challenging but just asking. I am sure this is true if you are talking about oringial video productions, but are you saying that film is a lower resolution than HD video?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

so all these movies are being restored digitally at a higher resolution when they are released on blu-ray?

take a movie like the Godfather. originally shot in celluloid. Remastered for the DVD release.

Am I understanding correctly that for the blu-ray Godfather, it has been enhanced further to bring it up to HD quality?

sigpic

Comment

so all these movies are being restored digitally at a higher resolution when they are released on blu-ray?

take a movie like the Godfather. originally shot in celluloid. Remastered for the DVD release.

Am I understanding correctly that for the blu-ray Godfather, it has been enhanced further to bring it up to HD quality?
                In the case of the Godfather, yes, they were specially remastered for blu-ray. It was a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  In the case of the Godfather, yes, they were specially remastered for blu-ray. It was a big deal.
                  and the others...the not so famous movies like Short Circuit, Legal Eagles, or Gremlins....all of those were re-mastered? Seems like if they are remastered, then I can see the benefit, but no way all of these movies are being re-mastered, no?

sigpic

Comment

and the others...the not so famous movies like Short Circuit, Legal Eagles, or Gremlins....all of those were re-mastered? Seems like if they are remastered, then I can see the benefit, but no way all of these movies are being re-mastered, no?
                    Probably not, but in all likelihood, when they were remastered for DVD in the first place, they were on some kind of format that was higher resolution than DVD, so there may still be some benefit.

Comment

Working...
                    X