Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNews reporting talks between Big X and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNews reporting talks between Big X and...

TEXAS. Wow. Didn't see that one coming. They'd actually be a fantastic fit for the Big X.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...bout-expansion

If that were to happen, TCU could get a Big XII invite in their spot. Without someone from the Big XII-South leaving, I don't see any way that TCU gets into the Big XII . So Texas leaving would be great for TCU...

If UT goes to Big X, PAC-10 expansion would almost certainly follow. If the UU and Colorado get PAC-10 invites (which makes sense), BYU could very likely get an invite to the Big XII-North into Colorado's place. And all the worthy members of the MWC would all be taken care of - and the MWC's autobid would be relegated to the dustbin.

The MWC would be a shell of what it was. The WAC would still be Boise State and a whole lot of suckitude. I don't even see a decent 8-team league out of the scraps of the MWC/WAC. Boise State, AFA, ??? It would suck to be a Boise State fan...
    Last edited by statman; 02-11-2010, 10:11 AM.

What would be the motivation for Texas to leave? Their annual athletic revenue already exceeds any other collegiate program.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

There goes the only decent road trip destination if BYU were to join the Big 12.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        What would be the motivation for Texas to leave? Their annual athletic revenue already exceeds any other collegiate program.
        Let's see:

- Lots and lots of travel to the upper midwest instead of easy flights to Dallas, College Station, and Waco. Who doesn't want another two hours added to flights for away games.
        - Playing games in the cold
        - They can recruit stellar athletes from Ohio
        - I"m sure they'll hold on to the athletes from TExas since all TExans want to play football in Michigan and Wisconsin in October and November.

Yep, definitely makes sense.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Ease of winning their conference. They'd run roughshod over the Big X. The only competition right now is OSU. In The Big XII, there's always Oklahoma, and every year a couple other teams emerge as dangerous - Missou, TT, OKState, A&M (not for a while now, but still...)

Plus the Big X's TV contract is very good - likely better than what UT will eventually get when the rest of the Big-XII forces them to equal things out there a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
            Ease of winning their conference. They'd run roughshod over the Big X. The only competition right now is OSU. In The Big XII, there's always Oklahoma, and every year a couple other teams emerge as dangerous - Missou, TT, OKState, A&M (not for a while now, but still...)

Plus the Big X's TV contract is very good - likely better than what UT will eventually get when the rest of the Big-XII forces them to equal things out there a bit.
            Sorry, but this report is nothing more than a wet dream for people living in the Midwest that see their conference increasingly becoming an also-ran. Joining the Big XI does nothing for Texas. Even assuming what you say above is true (and I'm not conceding they are true), that's the positives and there are plenty of negatives that you haven't mentioned.

Comment

Sorry, but this report is nothing more than a wet dream for people living in the Midwest that see their conference increasingly becoming an also-ran. Joining the Big XI does nothing for Texas. Even assuming what you say above is true (and I'm not conceding they are true), that's the positives and there are plenty of negatives that you haven't mentioned.

Texas will not join the Little 11.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Yup.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Academics is the only factor I could think of. Texas is a great university, much better than any other in the big 12, and the big 10 is overall a much better academic conference, so it would be a great fit. I would be shocked if it happened, though.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                    Academics is the only factor I could think of. Texas is a great university, much better than any other in the big 12, and the big 10 is overall a much better academic conference, so it would be a great fit. I would be shocked if it happened, though.
                    I always enjoy hearing the academic argument for conference affiliation.

:bsflag:

The only reason the academic argument exists in the first place is for the people that want to gloss over fact that the real reason why BYU won't get a PAC10 invite is due to ideological bigotry.

For two conferences that have all the money in the world and a firm geographical identity, academic compatibility is completely meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                      Let's see:

- Lots and lots of travel to the upper midwest instead of easy flights to Dallas, College Station, and Waco. Who doesn't want another two hours added to flights for away games.
                      - Playing games in the cold
                      - They can recruit stellar athletes from Ohio
                      - I"m sure they'll hold on to the athletes from TExas since all TExans want to play football in Michigan and Wisconsin in October and November.

Yep, definitely makes sense.
                      You forgot about leaving the conference of their two biggest rivals (Oklahoma and Texas A&M)
                      *Banned*

Comment

The only reason the academic argument exists in the first place is for the people that want to gloss over fact that the real reason why BYU won't get a PAC10 invite is due to ideological bigotry.

For two conferences that have all the money in the world and a firm geographical identity, academic compatibility is completely meaningless.
                        Signed, fan of a school with creationist professors.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

"ideological bigotry" lol Orwell would have been charmed by that!

I confess to being ideologically bigoted against fascism, communism, and a whole bunch of other isms!
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Signed, fan of a school with creationist professors.
                            If that's the best you can do today, then you've either had too much to drink or not enough --- I'm not sure which.

Comment

This is quite a silly bit of egocentrism. The big 10 prides itself on its academics, and is well-known as a great academic conference. Most of the people in big 10 country don't even know what BYU is, except that maybe they play football there.

Comment

Working...
                              X