PDA

View Full Version : Obama - day one

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
So far so good.

As 3D noted, no terrorist attacks; that's good. However, aside from the Obama cottage industries (T-shirts, buttons, cakes, you-name it), I don't see much effect.

The speech was good, actually better than I though it would be. And short; that was a very nice surprise. But none of that will appear on a granite wall.

Can we please dispense with poets at inaugurations?

I'd love to be in Paris today. The spontaneous multiple orgasms must be something to behold.

The Bushes are class people. Good for them.

YOhio
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm glad he's not my new boss.

il Padrino Ute
01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm glad he's not my new boss.

You are his new boss.

Or so they say.

BlueHair
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm just glad to see Bush gone. It's hard to imagine anyone could have done a worse job.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm just glad to see Bush gone. It's hard to imagine anyone could have done a worse job.

How about Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon to start the conversation? LBJ might be there was well.

TripletDaddy
01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Speaking of Carter, one thing I noticed as the 5 walked to their seats....

Bush Sr looked like he was on death's door, hobbling around with a cane.

Clinton looked haggard and pale, alongside Hillary....and btw, Hillary, mix in a dress every now and then. It won't kill you and it looks nice every so often. Enough with the pant suits.

But Carter....that dude bolted down the hallway. He looks pretty good, esp for being so old. He has aged well.

Hallelujah
01-20-2009, 12:24 PM

How so? What 2 or 3 things make him the worst president?

TripletDaddy
01-20-2009, 12:26 PM

1. you like him
2. exUte likes him

I know this is really one thing, but you get the picture.

Hallelujah
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
So far so good.

As 3D noted, no terrorist attacks; that's good. However, aside from the Obama cottage industries (T-shirts, buttons, cakes, you-name it), I don't see much effect.

The speech was good, actually better than I though it would be. And short; that was a very nice surprise. But none of that will appear on a granite wall.

Can we please dispense with poets at inaugurations?

I'd love to be in Paris today. The spontaneous multiple orgasms must be something to behold.

The Bushes are class people. Good for them.

It's also time for my daughter to pay her tuition. She thinks Obama is going to pay for that as well. I wish he would hurry up. Her tuition is due in 2 days.

Pheidippides
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
How about Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon to start the conversation? LBJ might be there was well.

I give the edge to Nixon and Carter, but only because I don't know about LBJ. Say what you want about Bush 43, even if he did have tortured (har har) legal arguments for a lot of the stupid crap he did, at least he had legal arguments (unlike Nixon). Also (and only time will tell), he looks like he's going to largely step aside from partisan politics and spend time on the ranch, something his father, Reagan, and (to some extent, anyway) Clinton did well, in that none of them actively contradicted policies but rather spent time working on other things (see, e.g., the Bush 41 and Clinton joint ventures) - whereas Carter can't keep his mouth shut sometimes.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Clinton looked haggard and pale, alongside Hillary....and btw, Hillary, mix in a dress every now and then. It won't kill you and it looks nice every so often. Enough with the pant suits.

But Carter....that dude bolted down the hallway. He looks pretty good, esp for being so old. He has aged well.

Bush Sr. will celebrate his 85th B-day by skydiving. Maybe that's what you mean by death's dorr. He was hobbling/using a cane today because of some kind of injury.

Jeff Lebowski
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Jacob Weisberg on assessing the BWB presidency:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/178858

It remains a brainteaser to come up with ways, however minor, in which Bush changed government, politics or the world for the better. Among presidential historians, it is hardly an eccentric view that 43 ranks as America's worst president ever. On the other hand, he has nowhere to go but up.

BlueHair
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM

I didn't say he was the worst president. I said it would be hard to imagine anyone could have done worse. There is a difference.

Here are a few things that I think made him a bad president:

Attacked the wrong country after Sept. 11th
Torture
Wiretapping U.S. citizens without a warrant
Handling of Hurricane Katrina
Homeland Defense
Cronyism

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but the Iraq war will probably go down as one of the biggest blunders in U.S. history.

BlueHair
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM

My wife and I noticed Carter, too. He looks really good.

TripletDaddy
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Bush Sr. will celebrate his 85th B-day by skydiving. Maybe that's what you mean by death's dorr. He was hobbling/using a cane today because of some kind of injury.

is he injured? i didnt know that. he looked really frail, but if he is injured, that helps explain it.

RobinFinderson
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
If you think about it, Carter's reputation was primarily tarnished by the fact that he was the first president to have to face the threats of this new breed of Islamic fundamentalism. He failed to fully grasp the scale of the problem, and his response was not big enough. Each successive president after Carter scaled up operations dealing with problems of anti-American Islamic fundamentalism.

Bush's legacy, to a great extent, will perish on the same rocks. Rather than not realizing the size of the problem, Bush will be remembered for misdirecting a giant force away from the problem (no WMDs).

I believe that history will be harder on Bush, and not because of a 'liberal media.'

8BR
01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
It remains a brainteaser to come up with ways, however minor, in which Bush changed government, politics or the world for the better

It doesn't surprise me this task is a brainteaser to the folks over at Slate, frankly.

The president has tripled direct humanitarian and development aid to the world's most impoverished continent since taking office and recently vowed to double that increased amount by 2010 -- to nearly $9 billion.

The moves have surprised -- and pleased -- longtime supporters of assistance for Africa, who note that because Bush has received little support from African American voters, he has little obvious political incentive for his interest.

"I think the Bush administration deserves pretty high marks in terms of increasing aid to Africa," said Steve Radelet, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development.

Even if Europe gives more than the US (which they should IMHO) it's been positive development.

8BR
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
So far so good.

And the markets really rallied today; that was good.

Jeff Lebowski
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
It doesn't surprise me this task is a brainteaser to the folks over at Slate, frankly.

That was partly a little teaser to see if Tex is trolling. That kind of stuff really sets him off.

Even if Europe gives more than the US (which they should IMHO) it's been positive development.

Hey, you found one.

wuapinmon
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM

You don't have to imagine:

LBJ
James Buchanan

MarkGrace
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Both of my classes were canceled today. I'd say President Obama is off to a terrific start.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Jacob Weisberg on assessing the BWB presidency:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/178858

I suppose the greatest endorsement Bush receives is that Obama will change very little that the Bush administration initiated.

Guantanamo? Do you really think Obama is going to let those guys go?

Iraq? The Surge has made it possible for us to talk about withdrawal without leaving the country in a complete mess.

Health Care? The Medicare prescription drug program has been a rousing success.

Tax cuts? Those will continue under Obama.

Domestic Surveillance? Bush established the legal remedy for the program to continue. I seriously doubt Obama will dial back any surviellance of those in the U.S. connected to terrorist organizations.

Economic Stimulus? It was the Dems looking for cover from Repubs to do exactly what they wanted.

I guess Obama has promised to increase U.S. commitment to the war in Afghanistan (a NATO action), as well as to invade Pakistan if it doesn't cooperate. There's some differences.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
is he injured? i didnt know that. he looked really frail, but if he is injured, that helps explain it.

I don't know the details. The commentators explained it.

Jeff Lebowski
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I suppose the greatest endorsement Bush receives is that Obama will change very little that the Bush administration initiated.

That seems like an awfully subjective basis for judgment. Especially given that his presidency is just a few hours old.

Ultimately, history will judge GWB.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
That seems like an awfully subjective basis for judgment. Especially given that his presidency is just a few hours old.

Ultimately, history will judge GWB.

I find nothing here with which I can disagree.

More on day one - a parade. Give me a break, Obama is having a parade.

TripletDaddy
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I find nothing here with which I can disagree.

More on day one - a parade. Give me a break, Obama is having a parade.

McCain is having a smaller parade in Phoenix this afternoon.

wuapinmon
01-20-2009, 02:07 PM
McCain is having a smaller parade in Phoenix this afternoon.

Having lived in New Orleans during her first few years, my oldest child hates parades that don't throw things to people.....she says it's dumb to just stand there and wave at people in cars unless they're going to throw some candy, beads, or toys.

Amen, Marley.....amen.

Pheidippides
01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Having lived in New Orleans during her first few years, my oldest child hates parades that don't throw things to people.....she says it's dumb to just stand there and wave at people in cars unless they're going to throw some candy, beads, or toys.

Amen, Marley.....amen.

Usually in NO, the people throwing beads and such expect a quid pro quo exchange of services and/or visuals.

TripletDaddy
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Usually in NO, the people throwing beads and such expect a quid pro quo exchange of services and/or visuals.

AMEN, MARLEY! AMEN!

8BR
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
A metrics question: Does today count as part of the media-driven first 100 days crap? Or does that measure start tomorrow?

wuapinmon
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Let me clear up a common misconception about Mardi Gras:

Mardi Gras is the most family friendly outdoor public holiday in the country, moreso than July 4th because it runs from Jan 6th through the day before Ash Wednesday. Your above comment couldn't be more uninformed. Your perception of Mardi Gras would be like my going to a Pi Ro Halloween party, filming it, and then telling the world that their hedonism was "Halloween," When we all know that Halloween is a family holiday. The Church has official Mardi Gras parties at the St. Charles chapel, and if you had flashed your boobs or schlong to anyone where we were you would've been arrested immediately. Once a kreweman tried to get a girl to raise her shirt, and the crowd started pelting him with beer cans and bottles, forcing him to flee to the other side of the float (the parade was stopped for some reason). We booed and the cops came over and told the guy if he did anything else they were arresting him on the spot. The idiots that Girls Gone Wild catches throwing and receiving beads are not on any official parade route, but rather on the public sewer we call Bourbon Street.

I have purple, gold, and green C9 lights up on my house right now and my neighbors think I'm nuts, but Mardi Gras is awesome....I wish I could afford to go back every year.

The Krewe d'Etat and The Krewe of Muses are my favorite parades.

myboynoah
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Did the U Band make it to the inauguration?

Also, day one update - Chris Mathews' head is about to explode with exhultation over being able to say President Obama and former President Bush.

creekster
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Mardi Gras is the most family friendly outdoor public holiday in the country, moreso than July 4th because it runs from Jan 6th through the day before Ash Wednesday. Your above comment couldn't be more uninformed. Your perception of Mardi Gras would be like my going to a Pi Ro Halloween party, filming it, and then telling the world that their hedonism was "Halloween," When we all know that Halloween is a family holiday. The Church has official Mardi Gras parties at the St. Charles chapel, and if you had flashed your boobs or schlong to anyone where we were you would've been arrested immediately. Once a kreweman tried to get a girl to raise her shirt, and the crowd started pelting him with beer cans and bottles, forcing him to flee to the other side of the float (the parade was stopped for some reason). We booed and the cops came over and told the guy if he did anything else they were arresting him on the spot. The idiots that Girls Gone Wild catches throwing and receiving beads are not on any official parade route, but rather on the public sewer we call Bourbon Street.

I have purple, gold, and green C9 lights up on my house right now and my neighbors think I'm nuts, but Mardi Gras is awesome....I wish I could afford to go back every year.

Thanks for that. I was defedning NO and Mardi gras in antoher thread and was pretty much alone. Nice to have someone with background agree that Mrdi gras in NO is a family friendly event.

Jeff Lebowski
01-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Did the U Band make it to the inauguration?

Yes.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277568,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705278737,00.html

il Padrino Ute
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
A metrics question: Does today count as part of the media-driven first 100 days crap? Or does that measure start tomorrow?

I think the folks at the networks - Fox excluded - will randomly pick 100 days at the end of this 4 year term and declare them the "first 100 days".

Jeff Lebowski
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Here is another band article. Ironically, the SL Trib gave more focus on support given to the band from LDS members in Virginia:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11486480?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

The University of Utah marching band has two communities to thank for the historic opportunity to parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on Tuesday.

People in Utah opened their wallets to raise the money needed to get the band to Washington for the inaugural parade.

And Mormons in Virginia -- many with Utah ties -- took care of just about everything else. They organized the transportation and activities and provided food and even a bed to sleep in for each of the 128 band members.

Pheidippides
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Say whatever you want. I live in the area, and I disagree. About the holiday in general, although I will agree that the majority of the shenanigans are on Bourbon Street.

wuapinmon
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Say whatever you want. I live in the area, and I disagree. About the holiday in general, although I will agree that the majority of the shenanigans are on Bourbon Street.

Apparently you and I don't see the same thing. I lived there for five years and I went to over 100 parades, on St. Charles....there are no parades on Bourbon Street. You just admitted that the majority occur on Bourbon Street, so how can you still assert that I'm wrong? Seriously, what gives? Did you ever go to Metairie parades? Did you ever take in the glory that is Orpheus at night?

And for the record, Houston ain't New Orleans. I've never been to Mardi Gras in Galveston, but New Orleans is all about the family.

Hail Rex!

Pheidippides
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Apparently you and I don't see the same thing. I lived there for five years and I went to over 100 parades, on St. Charles....there are no parades on Bourbon Street. You just admitted that the majority occur on Bourbon Street, so how can you still assert that I'm wrong? Seriously, what gives? Did you ever go to Metairie parades? Did you ever take in the glory that is Orpheus at night?

And for the record, Houston ain't New Orleans. I've never been to Mardi Gras in Galveston, but New Orleans is all about the family.

Hail Rex!

Let me back up a step. Also, I realize that what I am about to say is somewhat hypocritical, given my view of Halloween.

My problem with Mardi Gras is not about what they do or don't do in NO. If I am going to drive there for boobies, I am a sad man anyway. Nor do I doubt you folks about the family parades and such, as our area (which has many, many NO transplants) celebrates it too, in NO fashion. My original comment was meant to be flippant, not serious.

The serious bit is that the whole Fat Tuesday concept is not my favorite. That's my beef, and sorry to confuse the two issues. Again, I recognize my inconsistency. When I reconcile it, I will let you know.

wuapinmon
01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Let me back up a step. Also, I realize that what I am about to say is somewhat hypocritical, given my view of Halloween.

My problem with Mardi Gras is not about what they do or don't do in NO. If I am going to drive there for boobies, I am a sad man anyway. Nor do I doubt you folks about the family parades and such, as our area (which has many, many NO transplants) celebrates it too, in NO fashion. My original comment was meant to be flippant, not serious.

The serious bit is that the whole Fat Tuesday concept is not my favorite. That's my beef, and sorry to confuse the two issues. Again, I recognize my inconsistency. When I reconcile it, I will let you know.

Well, I don't practice Lent and it contains not an ounce of spiritual symbolism for me, just like the bonfires I build on St. John's Day don't mean anything to me, nor does the Halloween party. They are all excuses to have fun, divorced from their original meaning....indeed the vast majority of Mardi Gras krewes are Protestant-led organizations. So, if your issue is with the adoption of a holiday without understanding its meaning, I understand that, though I find it capricious to no end. But, if your objection is a moral one because of what could happen, well then I don't think we'll see eye to eye ever about Halloween, El dia de los Muertos, Mardi Gras, or Buddha's Birthday.

I hold a Groundhog Day party EVERY year at my house. Holidays are just excuses to get together and have fun with friends.

Jeff Lebowski
01-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Iraq? The Surge has made it possible for us to talk about withdrawal without leaving the country in a complete mess.

Health Care? The Medicare prescription drug program has been a rousing success.

Tax cuts? Those will continue under Obama.

Domestic Surveillance? Bush established the legal remedy for the program to continue. I seriously doubt Obama will dial back any surviellance of those in the U.S. connected to terrorist organizations.

Economic Stimulus? It was the Dems looking for cover from Repubs to do exactly what they wanted.

I guess Obama has promised to increase U.S. commitment to the war in Afghanistan (a NATO action), as well as to invade Pakistan if it doesn't cooperate. There's some differences.

Boom. There went that one.

myboynoah
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM

To where? Fort Levinworth?

Jeff Lebowski
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
To where? Fort Levinworth?

Are you going to go all Tex-like on me and claim he is not really canning Gitmo based on technicalities? He is shutting it down as best he can. These things take time, but that's a pretty quick start if you ask me.

TripletDaddy
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Are you going to go all Tex-like on me and claim he is not really canning Gitmo based on technicalities? He is shutting it down as best he can. These things take time, but that's a pretty quick start if you ask me.

He also implemented a wage freeze for white house staff that make more than $100K. I think he did that within a few hours of moving in.

creekster
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM

I thik his point is that these guys may not be in gitmo any longer, but they are not all going to be freed; they will be incarcerated somewhere.

myboynoah
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

I don't know what "Tex-like" really means anymore.

I'm just saying it's a complicated matter fraught with risk. That's why he's giving himself a year to get it done. Many questions remain unanswered. He's made a decision to do something, yet we don't know exactly what this is, other than the prisoners will not held at Guantanamo.

I think this article in the Post sums it up pretty well:

Plan to Eliminate Prison Faces Hurdles (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012101036.html)

Jeff Lebowski
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know what "Tex-like" really means anymore.

It was meant in jest. You know I love you.

myboynoah
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
It was meant in jest. You know I love you.

You are the Cali to my Tex.

Jeff Lebowski
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Ouch. Touche'.

8BR
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
He also implemented a wage freeze for white house staff that make more than $100K. I think he did that within a few hours of moving in.

Do you know why? Is he making a political point? Or is there a real world rational?

myboynoah
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Ouch. Touche'.

But I refuse to do the Cali-Tex Forbidden Dance.

8BR
01-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm just saying it's a complicated matter fraught with risk. That's why he's giving himself a year to get it done. Many questions remain unanswered. He's made a decision to do something, yet we don't know exactly what this is, other than the prisoners will not held at Guantanamo.

And there is always this too...

"Freed by the U.S., Saudi Becomes a Qaeda Chief"

The emergence of a former Guantánamo Bay detainee as the deputy leader of Al Qaeda’s Yemeni branch has underscored the potential complications in carrying out the executive order President Obama signed Thursday that the detention center be shut down within a year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/world/middleeast/23yemen.html?_r=1

myboynoah
03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
"It is virtually impossible to imagine how one closes Guantanamo in light of this executive order," said Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union. "In a little over two years, the Obama administration has done a complete about-face."

Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.), chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the order vindicated Obama's predecessor. "I commend the Obama Administration for issuing this Executive Order," he said in a statement. "The bottom line is that it affirms the Bush Administration policy that our government has the right to detain dangerous terrorists until the cessation of hostilities."

Obama creates indefinite detention system for prisoners at Guantanamo Bay (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/07/AR2011030704871.html?hpid=topnews)

Uncle Ted
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Obama creates indefinite detention system for prisoners at Guantanamo Bay (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/07/AR2011030704871.html?hpid=topnews)

Yep... boom

Z6olSZfqDuA

il Padrino Ute
03-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Tim should be happy to hear this from me:

Well done, Mr. President. Well done.

Tex
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Hmm.

President Barack Obama reversed course Monday and ordered a resumption of military trials for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, making his once ironclad promise to close the isolated prison look even more distant.

Guantanamo has been a major political and national security headache for the president since he took office promising to close the prison within a year, a deadline that came and went without him ever setting a new one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/07/obama-guantanamo-trials_n_832451.html

Uncle Ted
02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Four more years...

VIA5aszzA18

Uncle Ted
04-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Gitmo Is Killing Me

ONE man here weighs just 77 pounds. Another, 98. Last thing I knew, I weighed 132, but that was a month ago.

I’ve been on a hunger strike since Feb. 10 and have lost well over 30 pounds. I will not eat until they restore my dignity.

I’ve been detained at Guantánamo for 11 years and three months. I have never been charged with any crime. I have never received a trial.

I could have been home years ago — no one seriously thinks I am a threat — but still I am here. Years ago the military said I was a “guard” for Osama bin Laden, but this was nonsense, like something out of the American movies I used to watch. They don’t even seem to believe it anymore. But they don’t seem to care how long I sit here, either.

When I was at home in Yemen, in 2000, a childhood friend told me that in Afghanistan I could do better than the $50 a month I earned in a factory, and support my family. I’d never really traveled, and knew nothing about Afghanistan, but I gave it a try.

I was wrong to trust him. There was no work. I wanted to leave, but had no money to fly home. After the American invasion in 2001, I fled to Pakistan like everyone else. The Pakistanis arrested me when I asked to see someone from the Yemeni Embassy. I was then sent to Kandahar, and put on the first plane to Gitmo.

Last month, on March 15, I was sick in the prison hospital and refused to be fed. A team from the E.R.F. (Extreme Reaction Force), a squad of eight military police officers in riot gear, burst in. They tied my hands and feet to the bed. They forcibly inserted an IV into my hand. I spent 26 hours in this state, tied to the bed. During this time I was not permitted to go to the toilet. They inserted a catheter, which was painful, degrading and unnecessary. I was not even permitted to pray.

I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can’t describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way. As it was thrust in, it made me feel like throwing up. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn’t. There was agony in my chest, throat and stomach. I had never experienced such pain before. I would not wish this cruel punishment upon anyone.

I am still being force-fed. Two times a day they tie me to a chair in my cell. My arms, legs and head are strapped down. I never know when they will come. Sometimes they come during the night, as late as 11 p.m., when I’m sleeping.

There are so many of us on hunger strike now that there aren’t enough qualified medical staff members to carry out the force-feedings; nothing is happening at regular intervals. They are feeding people around the clock just to keep up.

During one force-feeding the nurse pushed the tube about 18 inches into my stomach, hurting me more than usual, because she was doing things so hastily. I called the interpreter to ask the doctor if the procedure was being done correctly or not.

It was so painful that I begged them to stop feeding me. The nurse refused to stop feeding me. As they were finishing, some of the “food” spilled on my clothes. I asked them to change my clothes, but the guard refused to allow me to hold on to this last shred of my dignity.

When they come to force me into the chair, if I refuse to be tied up, they call the E.R.F. team. So I have a choice. Either I can exercise my right to protest my detention, and be beaten up, or I can submit to painful force-feeding.

The only reason I am still here is that President Obama refuses to send any detainees back to Yemen. This makes no sense. I am a human being, not a passport, and I deserve to be treated like one.

I do not want to die here, but until President Obama and Yemen’s president do something, that is what I risk every day.

Where is my government? I will submit to any “security measures” they want in order to go home, even though they are totally unnecessary.

I will agree to whatever it takes in order to be free. I am now 35. All I want is to see my family again and to start a family of my own.

The situation is desperate now. All of the detainees here are suffering deeply. At least 40 people here are on a hunger strike. People are fainting with exhaustion every day. I have vomited blood.

And there is no end in sight to our imprisonment. Denying ourselves food and risking death every day is the choice we have made.

I just hope that because of the pain we are suffering, the eyes of the world will once again look to Guantánamo before it is too late.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/opinion/hunger-striking-at-guantanamo-bay.html?_r=0

Between the drone strikes/killings and Gitmo it is no wonder the world hates us. Mr. President, care to comment?