A couple of inauguration thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of inauguration thoughts

Full disclaimer: I did not vote for Obama. I also do not share my mother's view that he is the anti-Christ.

1. That invocation was awesome. As DDD has already mentioned, the Sasssssha! bit was nifty. Why can't we get the same at Conference?

2. Very different from the benedictions, which was awesome in that populist-mixed-with-politics-Southern Baptist way, with the coarse voice and intonations.

3. I don't really care for poetry.

4. Pres. Obama's speech was very forcefully delivered, say what you will about the content.

5. CNN was overboard on this point, but I did think that the farewell at the helicopter was classy. On the part of both men. I really get the feeling that the fraternity of presidents is tighter than the division of party and policy.

6. I hope Bush rides off into the sunset, cowboy that he is. I think he will. I don't echo the sentiments of my friends that he is an evil man. Poor president, yes, but if he wiped his ass with the Constitution, at least he did it with good intentions. Maybe I'll see him at an Astros game soon - his father has tickets just below the ones I get.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Regardless of how one voted, this is a significant day in history. Very cool to see it happen.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I agree with this post.

Also, I have to think that Bush is giving a huge sigh of relief right now. Almost a combination of, "thank goodness that is over," "holy crap, I was the POTUS for 8 years," and "now Obama will see that it isn't as easy as it looks."

nik makes a good point. The bond amongst POTUS is likely incredibly strong. The only group that is more elite than POTUS is my CB friends list.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        The only group that is more elite than POTUS is my CB friends list.
        I am flipping you off right now.

Comment

I had this talk with my 16 year old today.

I didn't vote for him, but now that he is our President we throw our support behind him and hope that he is able to deliver on the promises he has made to America.

I love the process. I don't like political banner but I love people who feel like they can help make a change, those are the people that have made America great.

I was young in the Reagan years, but he polarized the Repub. party the same way Obama appears to be doing.

Today could be a great day. I don't think it is the end of time.

I look forward to see what President Obama can do for America. I just hope people will be patient and allow him some room to work. He isn't a miracle worker and can't fix the problems in the first 100 days.

Let's hope God does Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            I had this talk with my 16 year old today.

I didn't vote for him, but now that he is our President we throw our support behind him and hope that he is able to deliver on the promises he has made to America.

I love the process. I don't like political banner but I love people who feel like they can help make a change, those are the people that have made America great.

I was young in the Reagan years, but he polarized the Repub. party the same way Obama appears to be doing.

Today could be a great day. I don't think it is the end of time.

I look forward to see what President Obama can do for America. I just hope people will be patient and allow him some room to work. He isn't a miracle worker and can't fix the problems in the first 100 days.

I think you mean 'galvanized' rather than 'polarized.' The meanings are just about completely opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              I thought he already did.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                3. I don't really care for poetry.
                That was awful. Seriously the worst poet I've ever heard. I don't know what that was exactly, but it wasn't a poem. It reminded me of when Sarah Palin tries to string words together.

The only redeeming thing was the chamber music. That and Michelle's outfit.

[YOUTUBE]02Ao9jyq5Vk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

6. I hope Bush rides off into the sunset, cowboy that he is. I think he will. I don't echo the sentiments of my friends that he is an evil man. Poor president, yes, but if he wiped his ass with the Constitution, at least he did it with good intentions. Maybe I'll see him at an Astros game soon - his father has tickets just below the ones I get.
                  One of the comments that was made on the NBC broadcast was that Obama said to Bush, "I plan to lean on your experience and your expertise in dealing with certain issues." To which Bush responded: "No you won't, you need to rely on your advisors and on your instincts as president. My time in the spotlight is over and it's not my place to advise on presidential matters."

As much as I hate to use the term "classy" because it is over used...I think that was a classy move by Bush. He understands that this is Obama's time and part of that is leaning on the people you've chosen to advise you. Others might have read that differently, but I thought it was at the very least and interesting exchange between the outgoing president and the new guy.
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    That was awful. Seriously the worst poet I've ever heard. I don't know what that was exactly, but it wasn't a poem. It reminded me of when Sarah Palin tries to string words together.

The only redeeming thing was the chamber music. That and Michelle's outfit.

[YOUTUBE]02Ao9jyq5Vk[/YOUTUBE]
                    It..........was................like............... ..listening...........to.........James...........T iberius............Kirk...........read.........his ...........lines..........at...........the........ ...top.............of..............his.........gam e.

If you want to hear how a poet can make you feel something, check out Kwame Dawes.
                    [YOUTUBE]
                    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfrLtovlvis&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfrLtovlvis&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                    Last edited by wuapinmon; 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I agree that the Vogons are now solidly in fourth place. A good rendition of "My Favorite Bathtime Gurgles" may have even been an improvement.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

A good rendition of "My Favorite Bathtime Gurgles" may have even been an improvement.
                        Heck, I think I could have done better.

There once was a boy named Obama
                        His ears looked a lot like a llama's
                        He's the new president
                        And from heaven he's sent
                        to save us from eight years of trauma.

And to think no one even contacted me!

Comment

Heck, I think I could have done better.

There once was a boy named Obama
                          His ears looked a lot like a llama's
                          He's the new president
                          And from heaven he's sent
                          to save us from eight years of trauma.

And to think no one even contacted me!
                          Damn! A poet usurper, and it is only mid January. The poetry CUFFIE will be MINE! (oh wait, there isn't a poetry CUFFIE. Never mind).

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Interesting that until Wuap, I haven't seen one post about the Inauguration.

There were some nice things about it and the peaceful transistion of government is always nice to see.

I can't figure where some very intelligent people think the money is going to come from. I guess God could smile down up the people of America and bless us with extraordinary growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X