Inaugural prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaugural prayer

I would rate it a solid 10. Applause breaks, multiple names for Jesus, self praise. I would be thrilled to have someone like that pray at April conference.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I would rate it a solid 10. Applause breaks, multiple names for Jesus, self praise. I would be thrilled to have someone like that pray at April conference.
    I counted my 'eye rolling' at three.

Comment

My favorite part was the camera panning the eye-rolling atheists ...
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I dug the way he asked for a blessing upon "Malia...........and SAAASSSSHA!"

I was disappointed that he didn't tell that we could purchase his book, "A Purpose Driven Life," at most major book retailers and online.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

That the red man can get ahead, man

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I dug the way he asked for a blessing upon "Malia...........and SAAASSSSHA!"

I was disappointed that he didn't tell that we could purchase his book, "A Purpose Driven Life," at most major book retailers and online.
          The man giving the benediction reminded me of Jacob 7:27. Also, he started out referring to God in the second-person singular but later switched to third-person....I wonder if this was intentional or a slip as he got into the rhythm of the moment.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

The benediction was awesome, a sweet answer to the missed opportunities in the Warren prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
              The benediction was awesome, a sweet answer to the missed opportunities in the Warren prayer.
              That prayer was awesome. Almost as memorable as the Gaylord Fokker classic: "we thank You oh sweet, sweet Lord of hosts for the smorgasbord You have so aptly laid at our table this day, and each day, by day, day by day".

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                That prayer was awesome. Almost as memorable as the Gaylord Fokker classic: "we thank You oh sweet, sweet Lord of hosts for the smorgasbord You have so aptly laid at our table this day, and each day, by day, day by day".
                That movie is effin' hilarious! The Meet the Parents prayer almost is all from a song in Godspell.

And I though that the Warren prayer was the dumbest thing I ever heard, totally irreverent and ridiculous on many levels . . . "let the red man get ahead man" He just made himself look silly.
                I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                  That movie is effin' hilarious! The Meet the Parents prayer almost is all from a song in Godspell.

And I though that the Warren prayer was the dumbest thing I ever heard, totally irreverent and ridiculous on many levels . . . "let the red man get ahead man" He just made himself look silly.
                  Wasnt that at the end? Not the Warren invocation? I think Lowery gave the benediction when he went all Dr Seuss on everyone.

sigpic

Comment

I loved the closing prayer...entertaining and heartfelt. Well done.

The opening prayer actually caused me to dry heave. I kept yelling for my co-workers to come and hold my hair back just in case I actually threw up and didn't just dry heave. Alas, nothing came out.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post

The opening prayer actually caused me to dry heave. I kept yelling for my co-workers to come and hold my hair back just in case I actually threw up and didn't just dry heave. Alas, nothing came out.
                      The choice of Warren is why I think that B. is a closet atheist. No other pick could have made religion look more superficial.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                        The choice of Warren is why I think that B. is a closet atheist. No other pick could have made religion look more superficial.
                        There seems to be something very pompous about walking up to a podium and saying, "LET US PRAY!" What is the point? You are already at the podium to offer a prayer. Everyone is ready for you to offer the prayer. And you already have permission to pray.

On a side note, last night on Leno, Wanda Sykes shared a couple more additions she would have used if she were giving the Dr Seuss benediction. One of them was, "if you're fat....don't eat that!"

sigpic

Comment

The Meet the Parents prayer almost is all from a song in Godspell.
                          I believe he hears that song in the grocery store while he and DeNiro are picking up ingredients for dinner. I didn't catch that until the 2nd or 3rd time I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post

Hair that is so long that it must be held back so as to avoid your potential vomit is not metrosexual. I am disappointed in you.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I was listening on the audio only via the internet at work...and thought I must have mistakenly caught a broadcast from Bill Cosby.

In my books, that part of the prayer was undignified and inappropriate for the occasion.
                              "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X