Gran Torino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gran Torino

I saw this film on Saturday and it was the best I had seen in some time. Certainly the best of 2008 (it was put in limited release in December), though I have still not seen The Reader or Revolutionary Road or Slumdog Millionaire and want to.

This was Eastwood at his best and is a new take on the vigilante theme he has done so often and so well. It is funny and poignant.

He has said this will be his last acting performance (the guy is 78) and if so he is going out on top. Also, the title song of the same name which was written by Clint and his son and performed by Jamie Cullum is tremendous. I have listened to it 20 times since Saturday.

Though it got little Golden Globe buzz but I predict Oscar nominations for Best Film, Director, Male Actor in a leading role and song. The Academy loves Clint and if this really is his last, don't be surprised if this film cleans up.

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
    I saw this film on Saturday and it was the best I had seen in some time. Certainly the best of 2008 (it was put in limited release in December), though I have still not seen The Reader or Revolutionary Road or Slumdog Millionaire and want to.

This was Eastwood at his best and is a new take on the vigilante theme he has done so often and so well. It is funny and poignant.

He has said this will be his last acting performance (the guy is 78) and if so he is going out on top. Also, the title song of the same name which was written by Clint and his son and performed by Jamie Cullum is tremendous. I have listened to it 20 times since Saturday.

Though it got little Golden Globe buzz but I predict Oscar nominations for Best Film, Director, Male Actor in a leading role and song. The Academy loves Clint and if this really is his last, don't be surprised if this film cleans up.
    I've been meaning to see this one but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did see "Snow Angels" over the weekend, which is extremely well done, but unrelentingly bleak. Revolutionary Road was also extremely bleak but Snow Angels might be the bleakiest bleak that ever bleaked. I still loved it but man I need to watch some cartoons or something now.

Comment

Well done, Brother Eastwood. Well done.
      I intend to live forever.
      So far, so good.
      --Steven Wright

Comment

I have heard nothing but glowing reviews re: Grand Torino.

The Academy loves a feel-good story. Clint has already won some gold, so I wonder if Mickey Rourke is the bigger feel-good story this year? Also, I still wouldn't discount Sean Penn for his role in Milk. Although I don't see a bunch of stumping for him in the local traders. At this stage of the game, advertising and electioneering play a big role in winning the statue.

As for Revolutionary Road, I think that the film is dead in the water, no matter how good it is. The Academy is still smarting over the egg on its face for giving the awful Titanic a record number of awards that year. I think that pairing those two together as leads sealed its academy fate, at least as far as Best Picture goes. Winslut allegedly does pretty well as lead actress, as we saw by her sweep in the Golden Globes.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I have heard nothing but glowing reviews re: Grand Torino.

The Academy loves a feel-good story. Clint has already won some gold, so I wonder if Mickey Rourke is the bigger feel-good story this year? Also, I still wouldn't discount Sean Penn for his role in Milk. Although I don't see a bunch of stumping for him in the local traders. At this stage of the game, advertising and electioneering play a big role in winning the statue.

As for Revolutionary Road, I think that the film is dead in the water, no matter how good it is. The Academy is still smarting over the egg on its face for giving the awful Titanic a record number of awards that year. I think that pairing those two together as leads sealed its academy fate, at least as far as Best Picture goes. Winslut allegedly does pretty well as lead actress, as we saw by her sweep in the Golden Globes.
          I think you are right about Rourke. I don't see anyone else winning that. That reminds me that I want to see that one too.

I think you are right about Revolutionary Road as far as best picture or Director goes, but Kate Winslet is due. I think she could conceivably win best actress and supporting this year.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I think you are right about Rourke. I don't see anyone else winning that. That reminds me that I want to see that one too.

I think you are right about Revolutionary Road as far as best picture or Director goes, but Kate Winslet is due. I think she could conceivably win best actress and supporting this year.
            I could see that, as well. It is weird...I like to follow the awards and nominations, yet I rarely see any of the movies themselves.

One other prediction...for as much hype as Slumdog is getting, Oscar traditionally does NOT like foreign films for Best Picture. I thought Life is Beautiful had the best chance to win it in recent memory (moreso than Crouching Tiger), but it lost to Shakespeare in Love (another Oscar mistake, imo, based on the fact that Saving Private Ryan has become one of the most important war movies ever made).

sigpic

Comment

I could see that, as well. It is weird...I like to follow the awards and nominations, yet I rarely see any of the movies themselves.

One other prediction...for as much hype as Slumdog is getting, Oscar traditionally does NOT like foreign films for Best Picture. I thought Life is Beautiful had the best chance to win it in recent memory (moreso than Crouching Tiger), but it lost to Shakespeare in Love (another Oscar mistake, imo, based on the fact that Saving Private Ryan has become one of the most important war movies ever made).
              Good points about Titanic and Shakespeare in Love. Awful picks.

I like trying to watch at least the BP nominees. Gidget and me caught all of them last year I think. Growing up, my sister had a best friend whose dad was part of the academy so they would have stacks of VHS movies. I still remember watching Forrest Gump at home while it was still in the theater.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Gran Torino and the Wrestler were both great movies.
                Eastwood plays a Korean war vet with a severe hatred to minorities. I thought by now some of those minority groups namely the Hmong, would have protested by now.

The Wrestler has had a protest already from the Iranians. They didn't appreciate the character named the Ataylloh sticking a Iranian flag in his opponent.

Comment

Gran Torino was a good flick. The funniest part was when the son called his dad to beg for Lions tickets. All the rest I could believe, but that I couldn't.

Comment

I thought Life is Beautiful had the best chance to win it in recent memory (moreso than Crouching Tiger), but it lost to Shakespeare in Love (another Oscar mistake, imo, based on the fact that Saving Private Ryan has become one of the most important war movies ever made).
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Good points about Titanic and Shakespeare in Love. Awful picks.
                    I just want to point out that Shakespeare in Love was a great show, great story. Clearly though, Saving Private Ryan should have won. In fact I distinctly remember Spielberg throwing a parade later that week.

Flamesuit on!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      I just want to point out that Shakespeare in Love was a great show, great story. Clearly though, Saving Private Ryan should have won. In fact I distinctly remember Spielberg throwing a parade later that week.

Flamesuit on!
                      Nice one, coach!

for the record, and this is the last thing I am going to say about this, but I just get a kick out of how many Saving Private Ryan haters can't get over Shakespeare in Love. They have whipped themselves into a frenzy of vitriol and hate and I feel really sorry for them. LOL!

sigpic

Comment

Slumdog actually somewhat reminds me of Shakespeare in Love. Both seem more important than they actually are, and both are very, very cheesy but in a serious way.

I really like both films, but I kinda hope Slumdog doesn't win best picture. The problem is that I've seen all of the most likely BP candidates and I don't think any of them are much better. There are some really good movies to choose from, but they're all in the 8-9/10 range for me (Frost/Nixon, Slumdog, Rev Road, Wrestler, Snow Angels, Milk, Let the Right One In, Ben Button).

The only 10 I'd give to a 2008 movie would be In Bruges, but that's not the sort of film the academy is likely to consider. I was glad to see it get so many globe noms, at least.

Comment

I liked Gran Torino.....my wife remarked that it seems wrong to laugh at someone saying whatever they want to others.....the scene with the monkeywrench and pistol, "Get your pussy ofay ass out of here" was flat awesome. I was expecting some kind of The Unforgiven ending, and it shocked me. I always like to be shocked, because, given my career choice, I rarely am.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post

The only 10 I'd give to a 2008 movie would be In Bruges, but that's not the sort of film the academy is likely to consider. I was glad to see it get so many globe noms, at least.
                            I really enjoyed In Bruges. I had forgotten about that one.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                            X