Recruiting is fun......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting is fun......

but avoiding attrition is where it is at!

I think when I see a team sign so many people, such as BYU signed this year, that is a reason to be concerned.

Further, this class for BYU is what most classes for BYU is. The high end kids are a bit higher than normal, but not significantly. However, there are also a group on the low end that are clearly fillers/projects/whatever you want to call them. I do not think there is a program that experiences a drastic difference in ability level from the #1 scholarship player to the #85 scholarship player than BYU. If this class has 14 kids contribute as multiyear starters and those 14 kids are from the top half, it will be an exceptional class. However, if Quezada and Fabulije get kicked out of school and Apo suffers multiple injuries it could go downhill in a hurry. It seems to me that recruiting comes in two parts. 1.) Potential difference makers and 2.) Potential players likely to be exposed. In my experience I think BYU recruits the most of both types in the MWC. The LDS connection gives BYU an in with legitimately hyped kids. Some pan out and some don't. However, the paucity of good athletes and options at certain positions leads BYU to also recruiting the most kids who would not be recruited at say Utah or TCU. How well BYU can avoid having to put those kids on the field will go a long way to dictating its success. Perhaps Jacob Hanneman will develop into the next Andrew Rich, or he might be the next Dustin Staley or Kyle Fowler. Time will tell.

What I do like about this class was the success with the non-LDS kids. It has been a long time, IMO, that BYU landed this many non-LDS kids that had legitimate other options. They got a few in the '07 class but they all washed out and now we have long faces as we restroke our flames of excitement for a new crop and hope that in 5 more years Keoishian, Quezada, Jordan Johnson, Fabulije and Tushaus use 4 years of elgibility and graduate.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

What I do like about this class was the success with the non-LDS kids. It has been a long time, IMO, that BYU landed this many non-LDS kids that had legitimate other options. They got a few in the '07 class but they all washed out and now we have long faces as we restroke our flames of excitement for a new crop and hope that in 5 more years Keoishian, Quezada, Jordan Johnson, Fabulije and Tushaus use 4 years of elgibility and graduate.
    Guys like Reed and Hooks have a special place with me. Robinson and if I thought longer others. It just isn't the AA non-LDS but the caucasian, latino, poly and asian non-LDS players. They are a special breed. They hear over and over again more than football players they represent the LDS church. They seem to deal with it. I love seeing those guys with degrees from BYU. Got to make some of those "mormon=cult) believers take a second look.

Understandably some think they are lucky to be at BYU around people like the "defenders of the faith". We are lucky to have them.

It bugs the holy whatever out of me when I see posters rip on someone like Chambers. I feel like saying, listen a-hole, you should kiss the kids butt everytime you get a chance.

Note: That may have sounded mad and angry, but it wasn't. I had fun posting it.
    Last edited by byu71; 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Guys like Reed and Hooks have a special place with me. Robinson and if I thought longer others. It just isn't the AA non-LDS but the caucasian, latino, poly and asian non-LDS players. They are a special breed. They hear over and over again more than football players they represent the LDS church. They seem to deal with it. I love seeing those guys with degrees from BYU. Got to make some of those "mormon=cult) believers take a second look.

Understandably some think they are lucky to be at BYU around people like the "defenders of the faith". We are lucky to have them.

It bugs the holy whatever out of me when I see posters rip on someone like Chambers. I feel like saying, listen a-hole, you should kiss the kids butt everytime you get a chance.

Note: That may have sounded mad and angry, but it wasn't. I had fun posting it.
      It is too bad you are old. In a few years you could openly kiss another man's ass cheeks and still be a SOOOOOOOO-jer! However, I think the age discrimination thing in the armed forces is likely to not get overturned!

In essence, I agree with you. I really think good things are going on when BYU can land some non-LDS kids with good other options. This crop of non-LDS kids might be anomalies. Schools might have cooled on Tushuas due to his injury. Keoishian was from an 8 man team. Fabulije lives with mormons. Quezada is a Poly and BYU has historically been able to land non-LDS Polys. The key is making sure there are another 4-5 anomalies next year!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

It is too bad you are old. In a few years you could openly kiss another man's ass cheeks and still be a SOOOOOOOO-jer! However, I think the age discrimination thing in the armed forces is likely to not get overturned!

In essence, I agree with you. I really think good things are going on when BYU can land some non-LDS kids with good other options. This crop of non-LDS kids might be anomalies. Schools might have cooled on Tushuas due to his injury. Keoishian was from an 8 man team. Fabulije lives with mormons. Quezada is a Poly and BYU has historically been able to land non-LDS Polys. The key is making sure there are another 4-5 anomalies next year!
        What about Jordan Johnson, Kouri Gaines and Drew Phillips? Big year for non-lds recruits at BYU.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          What about Jordan Johnson, Kouri Gaines and Drew Phillips? Big year for non-lds recruits at BYU.
          I like Johnson and I think he will be good for BYU. I like his highlights and for where he was from he had some decent offers. I believe if he were from a hotter hotbed of high school football he would have had similar type of offers as Quezada, but BYU really didn't have to outrecruit much to land him like they did the others. I view him as a bit of a diamond in the rough. If he can make it through 4 years I think he will play a lot from his sophmore year on.

From a recruiting perspective I think the same can be said for Gaines and Phillips. Gaines should be at least as good as the kid who last wore #14, name forgotten, who played SS for BYU. While not a great athlete he was well coached and always in position. Phillips sounds fast but there are a lot of fast guys that don't become good college football players. It appears that many universities had questions concerning if he is really that good a football player. He is no Ronney Jenkins...but that might be a good thing!

I think Johnson is the most likely to be a multiyear starter of the kids you mention.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I like Johnson and I think he will be good for BYU. I like his highlights and for where he was from he had some decent offers. I believe if he were from a hotter hotbed of high school football he would have had similar type of offers as Quezada, but BYU really didn't have to outrecruit much to land him like they did the others. I view him as a bit of a diamond in the rough. If he can make it through 4 years I think he will play a lot from his sophmore year on.

From a recruiting perspective I think the same can be said for Gaines and Phillips. Gaines should be at least as good as the kid who last wore #14, name forgotten, who played SS for BYU. While not a great athlete he was well coached and always in position. Phillips sounds fast but there are a lot of fast guys that don't become good college football players. It appears that many universities had questions concerning if he is really that good a football player. He is no Ronney Jenkins...but that might be a good thing!

I think Johnson is the most likely to be a multiyear starter of the kids you mention.
            If he really ran a sub-11 second 100 meter in high school, he's closer to Ronney Jenkins than you may think.
            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
              If he really ran a sub-11 second 100 meter in high school, he's closer to Ronney Jenkins than you may think.
              As long as he his sub 11's don't get anyone pregnant, he might be better!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                On an honest note. I ran a sub 11 100 mtr in high school. I think a guy who is legitimately a 4.4 40 is closer to a 10.7 or faster. Saying that I think the kid is really fast, but Ronney was more than really fast. That is why Ronney was very highly recruited but Boaz's finest chose BYU over Directional Michigan. I think he can contribute in time but I don't see him playing right away, or even for at least 2 years, and I doubt he is ever a primary contributor.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

It seemed like BYU really really wanted Phillips. The fact UC tried to get him to take a last minute trip is also encouraging.
                  Johnson looks like he could put the size on to make an impact at safety. Gaines seems way too little. Bronco is counting on those 2 and that makes me nervous.

Comment

On an honest note. I ran a sub 11 100 mtr in high school. I think a guy who is legitimately a 4.4 40 is closer to a 10.7 or faster. Saying that I think the kid is really fast, but Ronney was more than really fast. That is why Ronney was very highly recruited but Boaz's finest chose BYU over Directional Michigan. I think he can contribute in time but I don't see him playing right away, or even for at least 2 years, and I doubt he is ever a primary contributor.
                    Is Phillips Bronco's test subject for recruiting an athlete with execeptional raw ability and transformining him into a player at a position that they really need (ala TCU)?
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      Is Phillips Bronco's test subject for recruiting an athlete with execeptional raw ability and transformining him into a player at a position that they really need (ala TCU)?
                      I have had that thought. But my guess is if he would have anything more than just speed (i.e. start and stop, cutting ability etc) he would have been a bigger recruit.

I think the kid is going to end up being a change of pace back/slot receiver for BYU. But with 3 tight ends like Wilson, Mahina and Holt at BYU over the next 5 years I don't see a lot reps for a slot receiver.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Sub 11's legit for BYU. I'm betting if you're sub 11 in the 100, you're one of the five fastest guys on the team. If you run a 10.7, you're probably the fastest guy on the team.

Comment

On an honest note. I ran a sub 11 100 mtr in high school.
                          Wow that is impressive! Did you run track at Annapolis, or wherever it was you went to school?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            Wow that is impressive! Did you run track at Annapolis, or wherever it was you went to school?
                            You like to live dangerously, don't you?

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              I have never worn a Raggedy Andy outfit, thank you very little.

Yes, I was on the track team for my first semester there. I was not fast enough to be one of the go to sprinters and was informed that football players would be out in spring to fill out the 4x100 mtr relay team, but if I wanted to move up to the 400 mtr I could stay and work towards that. I would rather eat a turd than feel the lactic acid and see the pink elephants during the final 100 mtrs of the open quarter mile.

Besides that I was struggling academically so I thought the extra study time might keep me at West Point.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X