Roger Reid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Reid

Was the downfall of RR really just his kids? I know when he left we had a roster full of marginally athletic 6'4" kids (I went to HS with two of them). However he did win 2 tourney games, and seemed to put a good team out there every year except his last and the Tony Ingle year. If Majerus hadn't been at the U would RR have survived the 10,000,000 disappointed members comment?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I remember when I was a 1L in law school, the Daily Universe ran an issue with a headline that read "Michigan Hires Roger Reid" or something very similar.

Turned out that it was premature. Reid did not get the coaching job.

I saved that issue of the Daily Universe and still have it to this day.

The reason I saved it was because I was featured in an article/picture on the cover of that issue. Bottom right corner. Roger beat me to the headline that day, but he could hear my footsteps.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I thought we had talked about this. Reid recruiting his kids wasn't really the downfall. It was the start of it for sure. Playing them as much as he did as freshman really hurt him. Many kids saw no reason to come to BYU because they knew RR kids were going to play.

He also had a very big issue of poor Roger. Remember the ski team comment by the fat man? Roger said I'll keep my ski team or something like that. He always wanted to one up the fat man and couldn't do it.

RR actually had a winning record against Majerus, but that would have changed quickly had BYU kept Reid. I still think RR should get the "credit" for the 1 win team. That way maybe we would quit hearing about how he is the winningest coach in BYU history.

Comment

Originally posted by cougswin View Post
        I thought we had talked about this. Reid recruiting his kids wasn't really the downfall. It was the start of it for sure. Playing them as much as he did as freshman really hurt him. Many kids saw no reason to come to BYU because they knew RR kids were going to play.

He also had a very big issue of poor Roger. Remember the ski team comment by the fat man? Roger said I'll keep my ski team or something like that. He always wanted to one up the fat man and couldn't do it.

RR actually had a winning record against Majerus, but that would have changed quickly had BYU kept Reid. I still think RR should get the "credit" for the 1 win team. That way maybe we would quit hearing about how he is the winningest coach in BYU history.
        One of his kids was a much bigger prospect than Haws and a solid collegian who wound up starting for Michigan after his mission. The problem with BYU fans is they can't tolerate being second fiddle to Utah regardless fo the record. IF the status quo remains in football they will soon be eating Mendenhall alive.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          IF the status quo remains in football they will soon be eating Mendenhall alive.
          It sounds like the same things we heard in 2004 all over again... Utah will dominate, BYU is toast and will never sniff a MWC Championship again. Head to head since 2004, it's tied up at 2. Outright MWC Championships, BYU = 2, Utah = 1. While I know I'd love to beat Utah every year, if the status quo remains in football, I think BYU and Mendenhall will be just fine.

Comment

One of his kids was a much bigger prospect than Haws and a solid collegian who wound up starting for Michigan after his mission. The problem with BYU fans is they can't tolerate being second fiddle to Utah regardless fo the record. IF the status quo remains in football they will soon be eating Mendenhall alive.
            Robbie wont be half the college player Haws will be. Also Robbie didnt start for the typical Michigan teams. He started for Michigan as they went in the shitter and that is not a coincident. He was nothing more than a spot up shooter, basically Robbie was Mike Rose who got a shot to play on some bad Michigan teams.
            *Banned*

Comment

I used to get so annoyed watching Robbie bring the ball up. He had that huge head of hair that bounced around all the time. It looked like he was on cocaine or something when he was dribbling the ball. Always seemed out of control.

I worked at the MTC when Robbie went through. I think he was going to Greece? He would regularly wear sunglasses in the hallways. Lame.

sigpic

Comment

Starting for Michigan? WTF? He was from Spanish Fork.

I'll never forget when Robby Reid hit that three-pointer from way beyond the arc to beat Utah at the HC and put a dagger in the heart of the Ute fans. And just for good measure he drew a charge from Rydalch a few seconds later to seal the deal.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I used to get so annoyed watching Robbie bring the ball up. He had that huge head of hair that bounced around all the time. It looked like he was on cocaine or something when he was dribbling the ball. Always seemed out of control.

I worked at the MTC when Robbie went through. I think he was going to Greece? He would regularly wear sunglasses in the hallways. Lame.
                  Having grown up in Spanish Fork and becoming friends with the youngest Reid and the only girl in the family, I know Robbie pretty well. He was a 20 year old highschool senior, his dad held him back twice so he would grow. Yet he never got bigger than 6'1-6'2. Also Randy could have played professional baseball he was that good but his dad really wanted him to play hoops.

Darren is the youngest son, he shot at least 30 times a game in highschool and only averaged about 19 points. He played at UV for a minute.

The nice thing was Roger was coaching in China during my Sr. Year of highschool so their house became a nice party destination.

Both Robbie and Randy work for Goldman Sachs now and they before this year anyways were rolling in it. Randy built a multi-million dollar house in NYC.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Having grown up in Spanish Fork and becoming friends with the youngest Reid and the only girl in the family, I know Robbie pretty well. He was a 20 year old highschool senior, his dad held him back twice so he would grow. Yet he never got bigger than 6'1-6'2. Also Randy could have played professional baseball he was that good but his dad really wanted him to play hoops.

Darren is the youngest son, he shot at least 30 times a game in highschool and only averaged about 19 points. He played at UV for a minute.

The nice thing was Roger was coaching in China during my Sr. Year of highschool so their house became a nice party destination.

Both Robbie and Randy work for Goldman Sachs now and they before this year anyways were rolling in it. Randy built a multi-million dollar house in NYC.
                    That is pretty impressive that they went on to amass a fortune. Good for them.

Also, now they can buy their dad a limitless supply of colored shirts with the white cuffs and collar. Roger loved those things.

sigpic

Comment

Living well is the best revenge. I bet no one hates BYU like the Reids do. I wonder what that Rondo is doing now.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Robbie wont be half the college player Haws will be.
                        You're so sure of yourself. I'm just staying Robbie was a bigger prospect. Played in the HS all-star games. It's not like his dad didn't have reason to play him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Starting for Michigan? WTF? He was from Spanish Fork.

I'll never forget when Robby Reid hit that three-pointer from way beyond the arc to beat Utah at the HC and put a dagger in the heart of the Ute fans. And just for good measure he drew a charge from Rydalch a few seconds later to seal the deal.
                          Robbie was a good player. But BYU fans aren't exactly basketball geniuses. They thought he was playing because of nepotism.

I heard Al McGuire say once he ruined his son Ali's career by having him play for him. Coaches should send their sons to other schools.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Robbie was a good player. But BYU fans aren't exactly basketball geniuses. They thought he was playing because of nepotism.

I heard Al McGuire say once he ruined his son Ali's career by having him play for him. Coaches should send their sons to other schools.
                            Yet again you demonstrate your ignorance of all things BYU. The fans here loved Robbie (especially after that game at the HC). It was his older brother Randy that had the questionable playing time.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Yet again you demonstrate your ignorance of all things BYU. The fans here loved Robbie (especially after that game at the HC). It was his older brother Randy that had the questionable playing time.
                              This is the first positive comment about him I've ever read on these boards. I don't think he was loved.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                              X