X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips was going to trip to ND?

This says Phillips' trip was to ND.

Phillips cancels recruiting trip to Cincy

No BCS trip for BYU commit Drew Phillips from Boaz, Alabama.

Phillips accepted an invitation from Notre Dame to visit South Bend this weekend, just days before the letter of intent signing date for high school football players around the country.

When pressed why, Phillips decided to drop his plans and save Notre Dame the money. BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae visited Boaz in Alabama on Thursday.

According to his coach, Drew Noles, Phillips is scheduled to hold a signing day press conference at his school next week where he will officially sign with he Cougars. "I'll tell you this, BYU will be news all over the state of Alabama," said Noles.

---

Word from BYU's off-season workouts: Jake Heaps is impressing both receivers and defensive backs with his ability to place passes accurately on the shoulder away from the defender in seven-on-seven sessions and informal QB-WR throw afternoons.

Also, newcomer LB Kyle Van Noy has been very impressive covering the TEs. He's been so impressive, in order to challenge him, one of the defensive leaders suggested he workout with the defensive backs so he could be challenged and develop his skills against greater speed.
    The difference between the title and the content suggest DH is getting all mixed up. Maybe he had two articles written, one for Phillips and the other for Schwenke.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

From what I've read Phillips was indeed going to Cinci, not ND.

http://byu.scout.com/2/941892.html

Comment

It was definitely Cincy. The new Cincy coach was the coach at Central Michigan when CMU offered Philips earlier this year.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Phillips is not ND caliber.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Phillips is not ND caliber.
          Cincinatti > Notre Dame.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            Cincinatti > Notre Dame.
            lol
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

So if you think Bronco does this sort of thing with a cool head and for a logical reason, then you say he's willing to lose a few of the top recruits every year who are chased by the top schools to keep (scare/intimidate/control) a few lower level recruits that aren't being chased by the top schools.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                So if you think Bronco does this sort of thing with a cool head and for a logical reason, then you say he's willing to lose a few of the top recruits every year who are chased by the top schools to keep (scare/intimidate/control) a few lower level recruits that aren't being chased by the top schools.
                He doesn't force anyone to commit to him and he doesn't change the rules after the fact. When players commit, they are given the groundrules ahead of time of what that committment entails.

If a high-profile recruit wants to play the field, they are free not to ever commit to BYU in the first place. I have read multiple accounts of players indicating that Bronco encouraged them to look elsewhere (IMO this is because Bronco is confident enough in his program and what it offers) before committing, so Bronco doesn't have a fundamental problem with players shopping themselves around.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  He doesn't force anyone to commit to him and he doesn't change the rules after the fact. When players commit, they are given the groundrules ahead of time of what that committment entails.

If a high-profile recruit wants to play the field, they are free not to ever commit to BYU in the first place. I have read multiple accounts of players indicating that Bronco encouraged them to look elsewhere (IMO this is because Bronco is confident enough in his program and what it offers) before committing, so Bronco doesn't have a fundamental problem with players shopping themselves around.
                  Does it shock anyone that Bronco's game worked on a two star recruit but not on a four star recruit? Is that the game you want to play? I see Harmon's article, and I think it's crap. I don't know if I believe that Bronco is doing what Harmon says he's doing, but if so, he's relegating himself to miss on most of the top 10 LDS recruits every year.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    Does it shock anyone that Bronco's game worked on a two star recruit but not on a four star recruit? Is that the game you want to play? I see Harmon's article, and I think it's crap. I don't know if I believe that Bronco is doing what Harmon says he's doing, but if so, he's relegating himself to miss on most of the top 10 LDS recruits every year.
                    Look at the bigger picture. You don't mess with Bronco. Think of some young guy on the team getting ready to touch his dates booby. He thinks first of the honor code committee. He can probably find a way to get by that. Then he thinks of Bronco. Holy crap, I committed to the guy I wouldn't touch a booby while at school and he gets ticked if you break a promise.

One more young ladies boobies stay untouched thanks to the honor code and Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Look at the bigger picture. You don't mess with Bronco. Think of some young guy on the team getting ready to touch his dates booby. He thinks first of the honor code committee. He can probably find a way to get by that. Then he thinks of Bronco. Holy crap, I committed to the guy I wouldn't touch a booby while at school and he gets ticked if you break a promise.

One more young ladies boobies stay untouched thanks to the honor code and Bronco.
                      If you let a kid yank you around in the recruiting process what type of crap does he think he will be able to get away with once he is in school?
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        If you let a kid yank you around in the recruiting process what type of crap does he think he will be able to get away with once he is in school?
                        You said it more precisely. I tried to draw a picture.

Comment

Working...
                        X