PDA

View Full Version : BCS Money

All-American
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705360924/Record--for-non-BCS-conferences.html

A record $24 million of bowl money will go to the non-BCS conferences this year, which is the rough equivalent of the petty cash account given to Texas' Mack Brown.

Of the $24 million, most will go to the two conferences that sent teams to BCS games this year: the Mountain West Conference, at $9.8 million, and the Western Athletic Conference, at $7.8 million. The three other conferences that don't receive automatic bids will divide the remainder.

That compares to $22.2 million each to the Big Ten and Southeastern conferences, and $17.7 million each for the other four conferences that have automatic bids. Those first two received more because they each had two teams in BCS bowls. . . .

BCS executive director Bill Hancock told the AP the new numbers show the distribution is "fair and appropriate."

Grr.

TripletDaddy
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Why grrr?

Do you not like having to share revenue with teams that did little or nothing to generate it?

All-American
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Why grrr?

Do you not like having to share revenue with teams that did little or nothing to generate it?

$17 million if you were from an automatic qualifying conference and got in. $9 million if you were not from an automatic qualifying conference and got in.

That's why grrr.

falafel
01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
$17 million if you were from an automatic qualifying conference and got in. $9 million if you were not from an automatic qualifying conference and got in.

That's why grrr.

sounded like those conferences that got $17M had two teams in the BCS. I can understand your being upset if they had one team, or because it was so much easier for them to get 2 teams in. Is that what you're saying?

TripletDaddy
01-25-2010, 09:39 PM

That's why grrr.

800K to go to the Vegas Bowl.

TCU is lucky to have been invited to the party. The ad revenue is in place because of the BCS teams that are likely to lock into the associated bowl games.

SCcoug
01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
sounded like those conferences that got $17M had two teams in the BCS. I can understand your being upset if they had one team, or because it was so much easier for them to get 2 teams in. Is that what you're saying?

Nope

That compares to $22.2 million each to the Big Ten and Southeastern conferences, and $17.7 million each for the other four conferences that have automatic bids. Those first two received more because they each had two teams in BCS bowls. . . .

$17.7 million for AQ conferences, $22.2 million if they get two teams in.

falafel
01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Nope

$17.7 million for AQ conferences, $22.2 million if they get two teams in.

Oops. Reading comprehension.

TheBYUGuy
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
the Mountain West Conference, at $9.8 million, and the Western Athletic Conference, at $7.8 million

Does anyone know why the MWC gets 20% more than the WAC when they sent the same number of teams to the BCS?

beefytee
01-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Why grrr?

Are you talking about the the ACC and part of the Big Ten (i.e. Iowa)?

http://www.bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/01/06/2010-orange-bowl-fails-to-draw-interest/

If so, then yes. grr!

jay santos
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705360924/Record--for-non-BCS-conferences.html

A record $24 million of bowl money will go to the non-BCS conferences this year, which is the rough equivalent of the petty cash account given to Texas' Mack Brown.

Grr.

I don't get the jealousy over BCS money. Ohio State's athletic budget is in the $80M area. Total BCS money is what? $150M or so? Divided out equally for all teams that's about $1M per team. Sharing BCS money is not going to bridge any gap between Wyoming and Florida, financially.

jay santos
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM

That's why grrr.

How much BCS money did they get in 1992? Let's see zero from the Rose Bowl. Zero from the Orange Bowl. Zero from the Sugar Bowl. Do you see a pattern?

Jarid in Cedar
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know why the MWC gets 20% more than the WAC when they sent the same number of teams to the BCS?
Possibly because TCU was the auto bid and BSU was an at large. I don't know for sure but, this may be the reason.

beefytee
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't get the jealousy over BCS money. Ohio State's athletic budget is in the $80M area. Total BCS money is what? $150M or so? Divided out equally for all teams that's about $1M per team. Sharing BCS money is not going to bridge any gap between Wyoming and Florida, financially.

What is Baylor's? What is Vanderbilts?

Well yeah, the top 10 budgets are going to eclipse anything BCS, but it does make a huge difference for the crappy BCS programs.

beefytee
01-26-2010, 10:58 AM
How much BCS money did they get in 1992? Let's see zero from the Rose Bowl. Zero from the Orange Bowl. Zero from the Sugar Bowl. Do you see a pattern?

That's as good as the old Iraq argument that they were better off than they were under Saddam Hussein.

Is some peoples mind, better = ideal.

Congratulations, you're not starving anymore! You have nothing to complain about. You don't need a pair of shoes anyways.

wuapinmon
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Grr.

$24 million is as big as my college's endowment.

All-American
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

Oh, never mind, then. We're getting robbed, but not murdered. All is well, all is well.

How kind of them to kiss us when they screw us!

TripletDaddy
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh, never mind, then. We're getting robbed, but not murdered. All is well, all is well.

they are slapping us as equals, which is apparently better than being slapped as a subservient.

jay santos
01-26-2010, 01:53 PM

The NCAA BB tournament is the ultimate in fairness, right? Did you know the NCAA BB tourney revenue split between the Big Ten and the lowest conference in basketball is greater than the BCS revenue split between the Big Ten and the lowest conference in football? In other news, the revenue split between Walmart and your local pharmacy is even greater. God forbid!

All-American
01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
The NCAA BB tournament is the ultimate in fairness, right? Did you know the NCAA BB tourney revenue split between the Big Ten and the lowest conference in basketball is greater than the BCS revenue split between the Big Ten and the lowest conference in football? In other news, the revenue split between Walmart and your local pharmacy is even greater. God forbid!

The difference? The lower teams lost their chance to earn more money by losing in the tournament. When did TCU and Boise State lose their right to earn more money or to contend for the championship?

BigPiney
01-26-2010, 03:17 PM
$24 million is as big as my college's endowment.

You are not very well endowed.

TripletDaddy
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
The difference? The lower teams lost their chance to earn more money by losing in the tournament. When did TCU and Boise State lose their right to earn more money or to contend for the championship?

please expound on this "right" that TCU and BSU have to earn more money? to which right are you referring? is there anything preventing the MWC and WAC from forming their own TV deal and making all the money they want?

All-American
01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
please expound on this "right" that TCU and BSU have to earn more money? to which right are you referring? is there anything preventing the MWC and WAC from forming their own TV deal and making all the money they want?

Oh, not at all. In fact, they're welcome to withdraw from the market completely, if they should so want. Nobody is stopping them.

TripletDaddy
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, not at all. In fact, they're welcome to withdraw from the market completely, if they should so want. Nobody is stopping them.

And what of this mysterious "right" they have to "earn more money?"

I'm very interested in learning about new rights.

All-American
01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
And what of this mysterious "right" they have to "earn more money?"

I'm very interested in learning about new rights.

They don't have said right. They're not from the Big East conference.

il Padrino Ute
01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Please expound on the "right" that the teams from BCS conferences have to get paid more than the unwashed infidels from the non-BCS conferences.

TripletDaddy
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Please expound on the "right" that the teams from BCS conferences have to get paid more than the unwashed infidels from the non-BCS conferences.

there is no "right" to do such, at least as far as I know. That is why i was hoping AA would provide us some sort of insight on such. However, the BCS conferences did exercise their ability to negotiate a deal with existing bowl games and were under no requirement to invite every other conference when they formed their agreement.

I believe TCU and BSU are free to do the same with their individual conferences. I am sure there are Tv execs out there dying to pay the MWC and WAC a lot of money to play football games on their network. I wonder why they dont go out and do just that? there is a lot of money out there.

All-American
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
there is no "right" to do such, at least as far as I know. That is why i was hoping AA would provide us some sort of insight on such. However, the BCS conferences did exercise their ability to negotiate a deal with existing bowl games and were under no requirement to invite every other conference when they formed their agreement.

I believe TCU and BSU are free to do the same with their individual conferences. I am sure there are Tv execs out there dying to pay the MWC and WAC a lot of money to play football games on their network. I wonder why they dont go out and do just that? there is a lot of money out there.

The Sherman Antitrust Act may suggest otherwise.

TripletDaddy
01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
The Sherman Antitrust Act may suggest otherwise.

Obviously, as evidenced by all the successful litigation.