Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Money

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...nferences.html

A record $24 million of bowl money will go to the non-BCS conferences this year, which is the rough equivalent of the petty cash account given to Texas' Mack Brown.

Of the $24 million, most will go to the two conferences that sent teams to BCS games this year: the Mountain West Conference, at $9.8 million, and the Western Athletic Conference, at $7.8 million. The three other conferences that don't receive automatic bids will divide the remainder.

That compares to $22.2 million each to the Big Ten and Southeastern conferences, and $17.7 million each for the other four conferences that have automatic bids. Those first two received more because they each had two teams in BCS bowls. . . .

BCS executive director Bill Hancock told the AP the new numbers show the distribution is "fair and appropriate."
    Grr.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Why grrr?

Do you not like having to share revenue with teams that did little or nothing to generate it?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Why grrr?

Do you not like having to share revenue with teams that did little or nothing to generate it?
      $17 million if you were from an automatic qualifying conference and got in. $9 million if you were not from an automatic qualifying conference and got in.

That's why grrr.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        $17 million if you were from an automatic qualifying conference and got in. $9 million if you were not from an automatic qualifying conference and got in.

That's why grrr.
        sounded like those conferences that got $17M had two teams in the BCS. I can understand your being upset if they had one team, or because it was so much easier for them to get 2 teams in. Is that what you're saying?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That's why grrr.
          800K to go to the Vegas Bowl.

TCU is lucky to have been invited to the party. The ad revenue is in place because of the BCS teams that are likely to lock into the associated bowl games.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            sounded like those conferences that got $17M had two teams in the BCS. I can understand your being upset if they had one team, or because it was so much easier for them to get 2 teams in. Is that what you're saying?
            Nope

That compares to $22.2 million each to the Big Ten and Southeastern conferences, and $17.7 million each for the other four conferences that have automatic bids. Those first two received more because they each had two teams in BCS bowls. . . .
            $17.7 million for AQ conferences, $22.2 million if they get two teams in.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
              Nope

$17.7 million for AQ conferences, $22.2 million if they get two teams in.
              Oops. Reading comprehension.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

the Mountain West Conference, at $9.8 million, and the Western Athletic Conference, at $7.8 million
                Does anyone know why the MWC gets 20% more than the WAC when they sent the same number of teams to the BCS?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Why grrr?

Are you talking about the the ACC and part of the Big Ten (i.e. Iowa)?

http://www.bustersports.com/blog/bus...draw-interest/

If so, then yes. grr!

Comment

A record $24 million of bowl money will go to the non-BCS conferences this year, which is the rough equivalent of the petty cash account given to Texas' Mack Brown.

Grr.
                    I don't get the jealousy over BCS money. Ohio State's athletic budget is in the $80M area. Total BCS money is what? $150M or so? Divided out equally for all teams that's about $1M per team. Sharing BCS money is not going to bridge any gap between Wyoming and Florida, financially.

Comment

That's why grrr.
                      How much BCS money did they get in 1992? Let's see zero from the Rose Bowl. Zero from the Orange Bowl. Zero from the Sugar Bowl. Do you see a pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                        Does anyone know why the MWC gets 20% more than the WAC when they sent the same number of teams to the BCS?
                        Possibly because TCU was the auto bid and BSU was an at large. I don't know for sure but, this may be the reason.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          I don't get the jealousy over BCS money. Ohio State's athletic budget is in the $80M area. Total BCS money is what? $150M or so? Divided out equally for all teams that's about $1M per team. Sharing BCS money is not going to bridge any gap between Wyoming and Florida, financially.
                          What is Baylor's? What is Vanderbilts?

Well yeah, the top 10 budgets are going to eclipse anything BCS, but it does make a huge difference for the crappy BCS programs.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            How much BCS money did they get in 1992? Let's see zero from the Rose Bowl. Zero from the Orange Bowl. Zero from the Sugar Bowl. Do you see a pattern?
                            That's as good as the old Iraq argument that they were better off than they were under Saddam Hussein.

Is some peoples mind, better = ideal.

Congratulations, you're not starving anymore! You have nothing to complain about. You don't need a pair of shoes anyways.

Comment

Grr.
                              $24 million is as big as my college's endowment.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X