• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luther Elliss is broke.

http://detnews.com/article/20100119/...ex-Lion-Elliss

Too bad.

Wow, that's really sad.

I would advise to him finish his degree first, and then rebuild from there.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Wow, he adopted 6 kids. Seems like he was trying to be one of the really good guys, very sad it turned out this way.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

It takes money to make money, but unfortunately it also takes a lot of money to lose a lot of money.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I always enjoyed watching Luther play. He left it all on the field and deserved his All America status. IIRC he is from Mancos, Colorado, a small town at the base of the LaPlata mountains east of Cortez in the four corners region - a really beautiful little town (and also home to several FLDS families I understand). Anyway, I hope Luther turns his financial situation around and I have a feeling he will.
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by John McClain View Post
            I always enjoyed watching Luther play. He left it all on the field and deserved his All America status. IIRC he is from Mancos, Colorado, a small town at the base of the LaPlata mountains east of Cortez in the four corners region - a really beautiful little town (and also home to several FLDS families I understand). Anyway, I hope Luther turns his financial situation around and I have a feeling he will.
            I read about that. Is that where he went to HS?

This is sad as he sounds like a genuinely good dude. God bless him.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

This line from the article is sad and disturbing: Sports Illustrated, citing anecdotal evidence, reported last year that within two years after retirement, 78 percent of former NFL players either filed bankruptcy or experienced financial stress due to joblessness or divorce.

We idolize our sports stars, assume they're set for life, and wish we could be them, but it seems best that the wish goes unfulfilled.

Elliss deserves better than this, and he seems smart and good enough to be able to pull out of it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                This line from the article is sad and disturbing: Sports Illustrated, citing anecdotal evidence, reported last year that within two years after retirement, 78 percent of former NFL players either filed bankruptcy or experienced financial stress due to joblessness or divorce.

We idolize our sports stars, assume they're set for life, and wish we could be them, but it seems best that the wish goes unfulfilled.

Elliss deserves better than this, and he seems smart and good enough to be able to pull out of it eventually.
                Sports stars COULD be set for life. But they have more sports skills than brains. They should have learned something from college other than x's and o's.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

I don't idolize them. Also, football players aren't set for life like NBA stars.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

even worse

with a life expectancy of 55 years, the life of a retired NFL player is much more Hobbesian than Elysian.

Comment

Originally posted by cruelute View Post
                      with a life expectancy of 55 years, the life of a retired NFL player is much more Hobbesian than Elysian.
                      With that in mind (and I'll assume the statement is correct, not to mention that in later years most football players are hobbled by severe arthritis and other maladies), one wonders why so many would, and often do, give most anything to play. Thinking about this I'm reminded of the Chris Hedges' quote that appears at the beginning of The Hurt Locker: "The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug."

Steve Young has mentioned that despite all the pain, concussions and abuse he suffered during his NFL career (one remembers him literally crawling off the field in a game against the Lions), the rush of doing battle in front of 60,000 screaming fans was so overwhelmingly powerful he wished he could still do it.

Looking back, I'm glad I lacked the physical gifts for this to have been a possibility for me.

Comment

He sounds like a good guy. Too bad he's a moron with $. He's a winner and he'll find his way back

Comment

Working...
                        X