PDA

View Full Version : Better College Linebacker: Shay Muirbrook or Rob Morris?

cougjunkie
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I am having this debate at work right now. SOmeone that played with both is adamant it was Muirbrook I really have no opinion thought they were both great.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I think Muirbrook's 4 sacks in the Cotton Bowl carries too much weight in this argument. Morris was better, but not by a huge margin.

Donuthole
I missed the Morris years while on my mission, so I can't really compare. But Muirbrook was bad-a.

jay santos
As I recall, they had about the same speed but Morris was a lot bigger. Morris would absolutely flatten people. Muirbrook was great too, but I vote Morris.

smokymountainrain
01-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I am having this debate at work right now. SOmeone that played with both is adamant it was Muirbrook I really have no opinion thought they were both great.

Morris was better and I'm not sure it's really close. Let's just say Morris wasn't a first round pick because he was young, could run and had a lot of potential and years ahead of him. The Colts took a chance on a 25 year old linebacker with average (for the NFL) speed because he was so dominant in college and they thought he could step right in and make an impact.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
I think Muirbrook's biohazard tattoo added to his mystique.

cougjunkie
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Just an FYI they both finished their careers with 345 tackles, Morris had 13 sacks, Muirbrook 18.5.

However Muirbrook started for 4 years, Morris 3. Morris only had 8 tackles his freshman year.

Donuthole
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Morris was better and I'm not sure it's really close. Let's just say Morris wasn't a first round pick because he was young, could run and had a lot of potential and years ahead of him. The Colts took a chance on a 25 year old linebacker with average (for the NFL) speed because he was so dominant in college and they thought he could step right in and make an impact.
And what an impact he made! They were one of the worst defenses in the league until they benched him.

Kidding aside, he accepted his relegation to special teams very well, and excelled there. Also, he took over again as starter (due to injury, perhaps?) in the year they won the SB, IIRC.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Just an FYI they both finished their careers with 345 tackles, Morris had 13 sacks, Muirbrook 18.5.

However Muirbrook started for 4 years, Morris 3. Morris only had 8 tackles his freshman year.

Morris saw time as a FB his freshman year.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
And what an impact he made! They were one of the worst defenses in the league until they benched him.

Kidding aside, he accepted his relegation to special teams very well, and excelled there. Also, he took over again as starter (due to injury, perhaps?) in the year they won the SB, IIRC.

The Colts run defense was on track to be the worst run defense in NFL history. His return to the starting lineup coincided with a defensive resurgence that helped propel them to a Super Bowl win.

smokymountainrain
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM

I didn't say the Colts made the right choice.

Goatnapper'96
01-21-2010, 03:25 PM

I recall Morris being dominating as both a junior and a senior but I saw BYU more. Muirbrook was good as a junior but didn't dominate until his senior year. I also agree with Indy that Muirbrook's memory is rosier because his last game was brilliant.

Besides that Morris comes from Idaho....NEED I SAY MORE, LEADING HER WAY TO FAME BITCHES!

cougjunkie
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
I recall Morris being dominating as both a junior and a senior but I saw BYU more. Muirbrook was good as a junior but didn't dominate until his senior year. I also agree with Indy that Muirbrook's memory is rosier because his last game was brilliant.

Besides that Morris comes from Idaho....NEED I SAY MORE, LEADING HER WAY TO FAME BITCHES!

Morris' Jr Year was spectacular:

114 solo tackles 33 assisted tackles, 147 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 6 sacks and 1 int.

jay santos
01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Morris' Jr Year was spectacular:

114 solo tackles 33 assisted tackles, 147 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 6 sacks and 1 int.

And one snow angel. Or maybe that was his senior year. :)

BigPiney
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
I talked once with someone that played with Muirbrook. Said the guy was pure instinct. Really didn't know what was going on when it came to what play was called, but always knew how to fly to the ball. Based on that discussion I would have to say Morris.

Blueintheface
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Muirbrook's biohazard tattoo added to his mystique.

That and his steroid-induced meltdown in the Utah game.

Jarid in Cedar
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
As an indifferent bystander, I would take Morris over Muirbrook, without pause.

John McClain
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I have to go with Morris. Muirbrook was great and had a nose for the ball. But he also had some great defensive talent to work with, both on the line and the secondary. The Morris years' defense was not so good, but Morris really dominated at times. Remember, in college, Morris was considered a better linebacker than Brian Urlacher. He was another example of moving an OK offensive player (FB) to defense where he excelled. Kind of what TCU has done recently; but Morris did it years ago.

Blueintheface
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I have to go with Morris. He was another example of moving an OK offensive player (FB) to defense where he excelled. Kind of what TCU has done recently; but Morris did it years ago.

In addition to BCS games, I'd say that this is something in a modest list of things that Whitt does better than Bronco and his staff right now.

All-American
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
That and his steroid-induced meltdown in the Utah game.

I remember Muirbrook in the Utah game. My favorite play was when he timed the snap count and sacked the quarterback. On a running play.

The biohazard tats were more than a little memorable, to boot.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
I have to go with Morris. Muirbrook was great and had a nose for the ball. But he also had some great defensive talent to work with, both on the line and the secondary. The Morris years' defense was not so good, but Morris really dominated at times. Remember, in college, Morris was considered a better linebacker than Brian Urlacher. He was another example of moving an OK offensive player (FB) to defense where he excelled. Kind of what TCU has done recently; but Morris did it years ago.

The defense in 1998 was top 10 nationally.

Commando
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM

er...far be it from me to correct someone, but that's "winning her way to fame"