PDA

View Full Version : Apo out for spring

scottie
01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
This note came out of the BYU Football Media Relations office this afternoon:

"The following players have had or are scheduled to have post-season surgery: senior defensive back Andrew Rich (ankle), sophomore defensive back Robbie Buckner (shoulder), junior offensive lineman Marco Thorson (shoulder), sophomore offensive lineman Braden Hansen (thumb) and freshman wide receiver Ross Apo (shoulder).

Rich, Buckner, Thorson and Hansen have already undergone surgery for injuries sustained during the 2009 season, and Apo is scheduled for surgery this week to treat an injury suffered in high school.

Hansen is probable for spring practices, Rich and Buckner are questionable, and Thorson and Apo will be out for spring. All are expected to participate in fall camp."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=9398021

BoylenOver
01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
This is a valid/legit/newsworthy item, but it has zero effect on the team BYU will field in September.

Important players are extremely limited or not involved at all with spring practices all the time, and they're 100% for the first two-a-day in late July.

Katy Lied
01-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Hans said that 85% of Spring Training is in the classroom.

Indy Coug
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
The upside is that Apo will be acclimated to the classroom rigors of college and won't have that to deal with along with getting used to D-1 football. Not all is lost by him enrolling early. He'll also have all summer to be on campus doing filmwork and 7 on 7s.

jay santos
01-21-2010, 08:51 AM
This is a valid/legit/newsworthy item, but it has zero effect on the team BYU will field in September.

Important players are extremely limited or not involved at all with spring practices all the time, and they're 100% for the first two-a-day in late July.

If it were Harvey, Jacobsen, Chambers, M Reynolds or someone with experience, that would be true. A talented freshman WR trying to learn the offense, get timing with a new QB, etc. It's a bigger deal. I think this is very unfortunate.

WashingtonCoug
01-21-2010, 08:51 AM
My guess is that he probably doesn't get the surgery until the fall if he doesn't enroll early. I've gotta think that by getting surgery now, BYU is also footing the bill.

I.J. Reilly
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
My guess is that he probably doesn't get the surgery until the fall if he doesn't enroll early. I've gotta think that by getting surgery now, BYU is also footing the bill.

That was my thought too. Better to get him enrolled in the winter semester, get the surgery out of the way and have him go through fall camp with a healed hand then to wait for him to get on campus in August and then perform surgery.