Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East/WEst Shrine game practice blogs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East/WEst Shrine game practice blogs.....

Max Hall, Jan Jorgensen and Dennis Pitta are there representing the Cougars.

Stevenson Sylvester, Robert Johnson, and David Reed are representing the Utes. (Zane Beadles was there for the first day but received a last minute Sr. Bowl invite).

Here are the tidbits I have seen about each player:

Max Hall: Sportscenter actually did a segment with Todd Mcshay exclusively about Hall and Mcshay projected a 5th round grade, saying he is very accurate, shows good mechanics, but lacks ideal size and down field arm strength. He did say he would be perfect in a west coast system and compared him to Jeff Garcia. from Day 1:
    BYU QB Max Hall headlines the crop of West quarterbacks and turned in a solid first day. He is accurate when he throws in rhythm and has an above-average sense of timing. It comes as no surprise that he hooked up with former teammate Pitta on a corner route during the team period. He did a nice job of anticipating Pitta's break and allowed him to catch the ball in stride. Hall appears to lack ideal overall arm strength, which brings up concerns about his ability to push the ball downfield.
    from Day2
    Players to watch in the West
    As the West team starts to take the field, we'll be keeping an eye on BYU QB Max Hall and North Dakota State RB Pat Paschall.

The big question is can Hall overcome his physical limitations. His accuracy, game management and leadership all stand out in this setting and the coaches will love it, but the questions about his questions about his size (6-feet) and arm strength will linger until he proves himself.
    • BYU QB Max Hall: He needs to show something. The third practice is usually when the most team drills are done and this is where he needs to excel.
    Dennis Pitta: He was one of the top 5 players to watch, and this was posted from Day 1:
    • BYU TE Dennis Pitta wasted little time in showing why he has the potential to quickly develop into a productive receiver at the NFL level. He used his hands to get a clean release off the line, showed above-average burst, caught the ball in stride and looked smooth turning upfield after the catch during the team period.
    This from today:
    West Team: GOOD DAYS TE Dennis Pitta, BYU
    Pitta could emerge as the top player drafted from this year's East-West Shrine Game. He is a bit lean, has room to improve as a blocker and lacks elite top-end speed. Still, his separation skills as a route runner are uncanny and he is a vacuum when the ball is in the air. There will be a handful of tight ends at the combine who look better than Pitta at the weigh-in, run faster than Pitta in the 40-yard dash and jump higher than Pitta in the vertical. But the team willing to ignore the measurables and take a chance on the Pitta in the late-second to early-third round range will eventually be rewarded.
    Jan Jorgensen:

From today:
    Another DL -- BYU's Jan Jorgensen -- showed good, violent hands and a nice inside lean during bag work.
    For the Ute players the only one getting any mention is David Reed and he is getting at lot of it:

Yesterday:
    WR David Reed, Utah
    No other receiver has helped his stock as much as Reed so far. He made a big impression early when he caught a pass over the middle, was leveled by Oregon State OLB Keaton Kristick, held on to the ball and popped up off the ground. He continued to play well, showing great suddenness in his routes and attacking the ball with his hands instead of letting it to get to his frame.
    Today:
    West Team
    Coach's pets
    Kennan McCardell, a 16-year NFL veteran whose coaching the WRs this week, apparently has taken a liking to Utah's David Reed and SMU's Emmanuel Sanders. Both Reed (6-feet, 190 pounds) and Samuel (6-feet, 183 pounds) are smaller receivers, like McCardell was when he played. He's been giving them little tips like using their elbows to push off a bit instead of sticking their arms out where the ref could see it. He's showing them how to get off the ball, and off coverage, little things that smaller receivers can do to be successful.

And one other note, as good as Reed was yesterday is how good Samuel is playing today. They are stealing the show here. Both guys are quick and both have good hands, but Samuel is the quicker of the two, while Reed has the better, stronger hands.
    • Utah WR David Reed: Just can't get enough of him and want to see if he keeps up his great play
    I will keep updating as the week goes on.
    *Banned*

What time and what channel is the game on this weekend?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      What time and what channel is the game on this weekend?
      3 Eastern on ESPN 2.
      *Banned*

Comment

Thanks for the update CJ. I had seen a few of the quotes on Reed.

I tend to agree with what they say about Hall. he has the tools to have a shot, the question is if he is able to improve his reads and progressions. Guys who don't have all the tools have been very successful in the league, but they compensated by being masters of the offense and making the "right" decision more times than not. Garcia is a good example. Brady(with some better tools than Hall) is another that comes to mind.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Who did Keenan go to in order to learn his sideline skills?
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Here is a video that mentions a few guys from Mcshay:

[ame="http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft"]NFL Draft 2010 - NFL - ESPN[/ame]
            *Banned*

Comment

I'm really going to miss Reed.

Comment

Originally posted by dut99002 View Post
                I'm really going to miss Reed.
                Not me!

I actually liked watching Reed quite a bit.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Reports are out that Reed pulled a hamstring in practice today and will be out for the game. Tough luck. Hopefully scouts saw enough in practice to give him a shot in the draft.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    Reports are out that Reed pulled a hamstring in practice today and will be out for the game. Tough luck. Hopefully scouts saw enough in practice to give him a shot in the draft.
                    That blows and that is to bad for Reed He was improving his stock so much this week.

That could hurt his preparation for the combine and his pro day. I hope some teams can look past that and look at what he has done.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                    X