U of U Alumni E-Newsletter on the Sugar Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of U Alumni E-Newsletter on the Sugar Bowl

The U of U Alumni Association E-Newsletter has a special Sugar-Bowl Edition.

http://www.alumni.utah.edu/u-news/sugar-bowl/

Check it out.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

I noticed there will be a parade this Friday in SLC. Who here is planning on attending? I am guessing zero, since everyone is usually so swamped with prior commitments. A parade for winning a non-championship bowl game seems to be a bit much, but since the school is going to do it, the fans should attend.

Dan Patrick keeps saying that he is going to Utah this week. I wonder if he is going to Grand Marshall the parade or at least speak at it? He has said it enough that I don't think he is kidding. It sounds like he is planning on popping by the U.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Will the parade produce an updated photo of the First Presidency waving those goofy U flags on the steps of 47 E. So. Temple? I'm pretty sure when President Hinckley checked into the Paradise Hotel, the desk clerk asked, "Hey, what was the deal with that flag thing and the U? Did you lose a bet with Wirthlin?"

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I noticed there will be a parade this Friday in SLC. Who here is planning on attending? I am guessing zero, since everyone is usually so swamped with prior commitments. A parade for winning a non-championship bowl game seems to be a bit much, but since the school is going to do it, the fans should attend.

Dan Patrick keeps saying that he is going to Utah this week. I wonder if he is going to Grand Marshall the parade or at least speak at it? He has said it enough that I don't think he is kidding. It sounds like he is planning on popping by the U.
        As a Utah fan, I think I can live with another 8 months of "you're making mountains out of molehills since you didn't really win anything" put-downs. It's like getting punched by an infant. Cute and harmless.

I like parades. We should have them more often.

The parade is a remnant of the old Roman triumph, where the winning general was welcomed back into the city with great fanfare and celebration as soldiers sang dirty songs and "floats" showed the important episodes of the campaign. At the end of the show, the defeated king or ruler was executed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bronco tossed into the Mamertine prison to be strangled.
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
          As a Utah fan, I think I can live with another 8 months of "you're making mountains out of molehills since you didn't really win anything" put-downs. It's like getting punched by an infant. Cute and harmless.

I like parades. We should have them more often.

The parade is a remnant of the old Roman triumph, where the winning general was welcomed back into the city with great fanfare and celebration as soldiers sang dirty songs and "floats" showed the important episodes of the campaign. At the end of the show, the defeated king or ruler was executed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bronco tossed into the Mamertine prison to be strangled.
          This is hardly that. I can't honestly think of any other time a school held a parade when it did not win a championship.

I guess that time Auburn did it.

Can you? What is the point of the parade? Seems like more LBS to me, but have at it.

sigpic

Comment

This is hardly that. I can't honestly think of any other time a school held a parade when it did not win a championship.

Can you? What is the point of the parade? Seems like more LBS to me, but have at it.
            IIRC, there was also one when Utah lost the NCAA Championship game in '98 or maybe that was only a rally. That event is where the picture PAC referred to was taken...

We're #2! We're #2!

Comment

methinks the lady doth protest to much
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                IIRC, there was also one when Utah lost the NCAA Championship game in '98 or maybe that was only a rally. That event is where the picture PAC referred to was taken...

We're #2! We're #2!
                An in-school function is fine. Esp to celebrate a great year. A half-time thing at the basketball game, etc. let the students cheer and let the football team address the crowd.

A parade would be almost unprecedented, though. Very bizarre.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  methinks the lady doth protest to much
                  OK, I won't rain on your parade anymore. Enjoy the celebration.

ps get the quote right. we have already covered this.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                    The parade is a remnant of the old Roman triumph, where the winning general was welcomed back into the city with great fanfare and celebration as soldiers sang dirty songs and "floats" showed the important episodes of the campaign.
                    They're doing the same thing in SLC. At the parade's conclusion, Whittingham will ride in a triumphal chariot, his vanquished foes walking in chains before him. His children, robed in white, will stand with him in the chariot, or ride the trace horses. Gary Crowton will stand behind him, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      They're doing the same thing in SLC. At the parade's conclusion, Whittingham will ride in a triumphal chariot, his vanquished foes walking in chains before him. His children, robed in white, will stand with him in the chariot, or ride the trace horses. Gary Crowton will stand behind him, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.
                      You dare defame the image of Patton the man and Patton the movie with the insertion of Whittingham in his stead!?! You have robbed my memory of one of its most pure and cherished cinematic moments. I never thought I would, but I must say: Curses, PaloAltoCougar, Curses.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

OK, I won't rain on your parade anymore. Enjoy the celebration.

ps get the quote right. we have already covered this.
                        How's this?:
                        The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
                        Hey it was a fantastic season and one that should be remembered. If Salt Lake wants a parade I say great. As for me going I live in Michigan so that is a no go. If I did live in Utah I would probably take a long lunch at work to go with my family.
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

OK, I won't rain on your parade anymore.
                          Nice use of this metaphor. Seriously cracked me up (my humor threshold is weird, I know).

Comment

Ha. After I read Solon's post I went to youtube to watch the clip.

Comment

Nicely done, PAC.

Comment

Working...
                              X