Why isn't Tennessee a top five program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't Tennessee a top five program

Huge stadium, only Vanderbilt and Memphis to go against for in state recruits, centrally located so most parents from back east could drive to watch their kid play, they have some history of success. I'm guessing it's those orange uniforms.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Huge stadium, only Vanderbilt and Memphis to go against for in state recruits, centrally located so most parents from back east could drive to watch their kid play, they have some history of success. I'm guessing it's those orange uniforms.

and that song, that blasted song!

Comment

The state of Tennessee does not produce nearly enough recruits to stock the program. Memphis does produce quite a few but Memphis is a battleground for Alabamaand Mississippi, both of which are closer than Knoxville. In fact, Bama's probation was related to battles in Memphis with UT and Phil Fulmer turned us in.
      Tennessee does well in Georgia and South Carolina but needs national recruits and a pipeline into Florida to be really successful. They have less rich recruiting grounds than Florida, Georgia,Alabama and LSU, and they have to compete with all of those schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        and that song, that blasted song!
        You don't like Rocky Top?

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
          You don't like Rocky Top?
          I can still hear Pat Summit singing it. Tell me you could sleep peacefully while that dude sings that song.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            I can still hear Pat Summit singing it. Tell me you could sleep peacefully while that dude sings that song.
            You have a point, but I do like it on a fiddle though

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

There can only be five: USC, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama are recognized as the top five traditions if not programs (not necessarily in that order). Tenessee is probably top 10 or so though.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                There can only be five: USC, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama are recognized as the top five traditions if not programs (not necessarily in that order). Tenessee is probably top 10 or so though.
                As much as I hate to say so, I would probably put Notre Dame in the top slot.

Texas is an excellent program, but in terms of tradition, they would rank last amongst the other schools listed above. Famous coaches, dominant eras, famous fight song, famous stadium, famous mascot, etc....all the things that go into "tradition," Texas lacks when compared to the other 4 schools. However winning is quite important and Texas has definitely established a fantastic tradition of winning. They are definitely a championship program.

I am still somewhat in shock that Alabama had never won a Heisman before this year. How is that possible?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I am still somewhat in shock that Alabama had never won a Heisman before this year. How is that possible?
                  I was thinking the same thing.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I would put Ohio State ahead of Texas.

Comment

It is right to distinguish program from tradition. I look at "program" as like company valuation. Or who do you think will have the most success over the next 20 years. In that case today, you would put Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio State at the top with second tier as OK, LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Florida State.

Notre Dame might belong to that second tier but they have a lot of issues. They haven't been consistently good for 30 years. Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU all could take turns in and out of that second tier depending on coaching hires and the effect of recent success.

I look at "tradition" as important only as how it affects your program strength today. It's important because it expands your fan base, pumps money through the program to update facilities, creates name recognition, etc. Schools like Miami or to lesser degree Boise State have created a lot of that stuff in a short term, while Notre Dame's long down period has diminished the effect of its tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        I would put Ohio State ahead of Texas.
                        You could make that case, especially if you thought a Big Ten team had to be there.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          It is right to distinguish program from tradition. I look at "program" as like company valuation. Or who do you think will have the most success over the next 20 years. In that case today, you would put Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio State at the top with second tier as OK, LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Florida State.

Notre Dame might belong to that second tier but they have a lot of issues. They haven't been consistently good for 30 years. Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU all could take turns in and out of that second tier depending on coaching hires and the effect of recent success.

I look at "tradition" as important only as how it affects your program strength today. It's important because it expands your fan base, pumps money through the program to update facilities, creates name recognition, etc. Schools like Miami or to lesser degree Boise State have created a lot of that stuff in a short term, while Notre Dame's long down period has diminished the effect of its tradition.
                          Boise. LOL. It's telling that you would mention Boise but not Utah when talking about great traditions (even I would never bring up Utah, but it has done more than Boise, either in the last decade or the last 75 years). Boise is a six year phenomenon. And yes, there's a big difference between programs and traditions. They're not the same thing at all. A tradition means your program will always recover and make it to the top. The six names that have been bantied round here have all had struggles akin to Notre Dame's current issues. Some of you need to grow a horizon.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Ahem.. OH-IO..

Just sayin..

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Texas is an excellent program, but in terms of tradition, they would rank last amongst the other schools listed above. Famous coaches, dominant eras, famous fight song, famous stadium, famous mascot, etc....all the things that go into "tradition," Texas lacks when compared to the other 4 schools.
                              Bevo isn't a famous mascot? What other mascots are more famous than Bevo? I couldn't tell you the name of the leprechaun at ND or the elephant at Bama.

Famous mascot objection aside, I don't think it's really a factor in saying which schools have tradition. Dominant eras and famous coaches are much more important, and outside of DKR and Brown, Texas hasn't been dominant on the national scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X