USC new Coach: Who will it be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC new Coach: Who will it be??

Yesterday I was listening to the radio and they were mentinoing names of people who would take the USC job. I found it odd that Norm Chow was not mentioned at all..

Is he even in the talks?? And if not, Why??

I would think he would keep major recruits coming with his resume and what he has accomplished at USC and what he is doing at UCLA..

Del Rio just said he is not taking the job. He met with Jax owner and has decided to turn down the USC job.
    *Banned*

Comment

Steve Sarkisian would make a lot of sense, IMO. But if I'm SC, my search begins and ends with Chris Peterson. If he'll come.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        Steve Sarkisian would make a lot of sense, IMO. But if I'm SC, my search begins and ends with Chris Peterson. If he'll come.
        my understanding is that Peterson already said "not interested"
        Last edited by Flystripper; 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          my understand is that Peterson already said "not interested"
          If that's true, I can't believe how lucky BSU and it's fans are. If he won't take the USC job, it seems he wouldn't be willing to take any other job.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

This was posted at 10:03 AM ET today in ESPN Insider:
            According to Scott Wolf of the Los Angeles Daily News, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio was sent a contract last night to become USC's next head coach. But Wolf writes Del Rio's predicament is forfeiting more than $15 million if he leaves the Jaguars without being fired.

Meanwhile, one league source has expressed skepticism to Pro Football Talk regarding the report that a contract offer was sent to Del Rio on Monday. "He's got the same agent as [Brian] Billick and [Bill] Cowher," the source said. "Think of all the useless rumors that have been started by the guy. It sounds like another B.S. story intended to pressure [Wayne] Weaver."

And Del Rio himself has denied receiving an offer from USC.

According to the Los Angeles Times' Gary Klein, Boise State coach Chris Petersen, former Oregon coach and athletic director Mike Bellotti and Del Rio are thought to be atop a short list of potential candidates to replace Pete Carroll.

Yesterday, ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman told ESPN Radio listeners, "Jack Del Rio is the one name that I've heard from people close to USC or are tied in at USC that say is interested and they know who he is."

Word early yesterday was USC AD Mike Garrett had targeted Oregon State coach Mike Riley to replace Carroll, but there's no indication the Trojans tried to interview Riley, and he also agreed to a three-year extension with Oregon State.
            Assistant Rumors

TCU's Gary Patterson should also be a target, according to Wolf. But Patterson has said he hasn't been contacted about the job and he signed an extension through 2016, while Petersen signed a five-year deal. Wolf also says that Utah coach Kyle Whittingham has interest in the job but is not considered to be a candidate at this time. Now, extensions don't eliminate coaches. As coaches' value (and leverage) goes up, they sign new deals all the time. USC will be able to afford to better a lot of deals.

Then back to Del Rio, the current Jacksonville Jaguars coach. He has shown interest in the job. Del Rio was a star at USC, and might bring a similar persona as Carroll to the program. Del Rio, by the way, was supposed to meet with Jax officials about his future yesterday.

Herm Edwards could also be a candidate, according to ESPN's Shelley Smith and Chris Mortensen.

Football Outsiders told us yesterday that North Carolina coach Butch Davis would be a good choice (more below), while Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times thinks NFL Hall of Famer James Lofton should be looked at. Lofton was interviewed for the Stanford and Oakland Raiders head-coaching vacancies in the past five years.

Will update as we hear more.
            College Football Rumors - Rumor Central -NCAA - ESPN

Comment

interesting scottie

Funny that according to ESPN Whitt wants the job but USC does not have him as a candidate.

Maybe Peterson has not taken himself out of the running.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                This was posted at 10:03 AM ET today in ESPN Insider:

College Football Rumors - Rumor Central -NCAA - ESPN
                This makes me feel super smart, just yesterday I said that USC made a run at Bellotti last time the job was open, and I was surprised that he wasn't in the mix now that he is available.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  interesting scottie

Funny that according to ESPN Whitt wants the job but USC does not have him as a candidate.
                  Does that lead to any fallout with Ute fans? I know a lot of people think he would never leave Utah because he loves them too much or something.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                    Does that lead to any fallout with Ute fans? I know a lot of people think he would never leave Utah because he loves them too much or something.
                    Only those we would like to see jump off the cliff in the first place.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      Only those we would like to see jump off the cliff in the first place.
                      So you would like to have a couple of down years to purge the fan base? Seems fair, and we accept.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Kyle Whittingham is going to get it.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          So you would like to have a couple of down years to purge the fan base? Seems fair, and we accept.
                          Yeah, 'cuz it worked so well for us. We don't have any obnoxious idiots left in the fan base at all.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Look at it from Petersen's perspective. Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins both failed when they went to the next level. Koetter is an offensive coordinator in the NFL, so he's still doing okay. Hawkins will be fired as soon as Colorado can afford it and he'll end up at some MAC or Sunbelt school, he'll never get a shot at a school like Boise State again.

If Petersen fails at USC, then he's in the same situation with either Koetter or Hawkins. Between the three guys right now, Petersen clearly is in the best position.

As for Del Rio, I thought a fired NFL coach had to mitigate his damages. In other words, that $15 million owed to him if he were fired would only be paid to him if he couldn't find another job. If his job pays less than what he would have been paid by the Jaguars, then he just gets paid the residual. I'm not sure how long Del Rio has left on his deal, but if it's, say, three years at $5 million per, then if he were paid, say, $4 million at USC then Jacksonville would only be paying $1 million per year. Mike Shanahan was still paid by the Broncos this year, but his deal with the Redskins is almost exactly the same as what he had with the Broncos so I think the Broncos won't be paying Shanahan anything this year.

It's not like Jacksonville will have to pay him $15 million if they fire him. However, Del Rio does have the incentive to be fired if USC is only going to pay him, say, $4 million per year. BTW, I have no idea what the length of Del Rio's contract is and I have no idea how much USC pays per year.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              Kyle Whittingham is going to get it.
                              This guy seems to think so.

Another job opening and another mention of Kyle Whittingham. It hasn't even been a month since we all held our collective breaths at the news of Urban Meyer's premature retirement and we're already faced with potential coaching speculation once again.
                              lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X