• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firesides: A Selling Point for Quezada

http://byu.scout.com/2/936792.html
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    That's great. Sounds like a really good kid.

Comment

Wow. That surprises me, but it's awesome.

Comment

You need to register to read the article.

What did he say was notable about the firesides?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          He said they was totally bitchin' and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            You need to register to read the article.

Here:

One of the things Quezada, who is not LDS, took special note of while on his official trip to BYU was the fireside he attended with the team the night prior to game day. It was a very unique experience for him, but was something he immediately took to.

“I love that kind of stuff," he said regarding the fireside. “It was a cool thing listening to all the players talk about God and the important things in life. There were a lot of kids there and they all stayed after and shook their hands and talked quite a long time to each kid. I felt at home with that sort of thing and I’m anxious to have that and other service opportunities while I’m at BYU. It’s a great thing they do with that sort of stuff and is definitely a big reason as to why I’m going to BYU.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Thanks. That is cool. Sounds like a good kid. He obviously would not have felt comfortable at Utah.

sigpic

Comment

So what's the over/under on Quezada's baptism?

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                  It's Over. He's going under!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                    I'd rather wager on whether St. Heaps will be the one performing the baptism. How many people did Tebow baptize?

Comment

I'm a big enough man to admit that my dislike for Bronco's style is not without legitimate exceptions. If Quezada was drawn to BYU because of firesides as well as a good program with an opening at the RB I'm fine with it, in fact I'm more than fine with it. Go Bronco.

Moral to the story is Bronco should stay off of the internet and quit listening to idiots like me.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        I'm a big enough man to admit that my dislike for Bronco's style is not without legitimate exceptions. If Quezada was drawn to BYU because of firesides as well as a good program with an opening at the RB I'm fine with it, in fact I'm more than fine with it. Go Bronco.

Moral to the story is Bronco should stay off of the internet and quit listening to idiots like me.
                        AMEN and AMEN!

Saying that call me a wet paper towel but I don't believe Quezada a great deal. I am not saying he is lying but I doubt the whole fireside atmosphere had the impact he claims it did. I do think he is one perceptive kid though. He has already figured out how to stroke the majority of the fanbase. He is throwing out redmeat for the Peter Priesthoods among us. I care more about how he picks up the offense in Harvey's absence.

I do think that the quote and JQ stroking the fanbase will continue to buy Elder M. more and more clout with the folks on directional temple. Considering all LA Ute! and his pervasive RUTS discourses do to destroy the important perception the folks at directional Temple have concerning the BYU football coach, it is probably important the minions at TBS make sure the well meaning folks who can impede success are getting the occassional good news to balance out all the criticisms and aspersions cast upon Brother Mendenhall's character! Bronco M. is quite the master manipulater!

FIGHT ON BITCHES!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          AMEN and AMEN!

Saying that call me a wet paper towel but I don't believe Quezada a great deal. I am not saying he is lying but I doubt the whole fireside atmosphere had the impact he claims it did. I do think he is one perceptive kid though. He has already figured out how to stroke the majority of the fanbase. He is throwing out redmeat for the Peter Priesthoods among us. I care more about how he picks up the offense in Harvey's absence.

I do think that the quote and JQ stroking the fanbase will continue to buy Elder M. more and more clout with the folks on directional temple. Considering all LA Ute! and his pervasive RUTS discourses do to destroy the important perception the folks at directional Temple have concerning the BYU football coach, it is probably important the minions at TBS make sure the well meaning folks who can impede success are getting the occassional good news to balance out all the criticisms and aspersions cast upon Brother Mendenhall's character! Bronco M. is quite the master manipulater!

FIGHT ON BITCHES!

I don't doubt the kid was impressed. This is kinda of unique and look at the love for the players. However, I doubt at this point in his career at BYU he thinks the fireside is the most important thing they do the week of a football game. However, maybe he will in the future.

Like you, I believe these kids catch on quickly to what someone wants to hear. "The dance" comes to mind and also several reports at another site from LDS kids and the spiritual experience they have, only to end up at USC or Utah.

Bottom line, he sounds like a kid who has his act together.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            I don't doubt the kid was impressed. This is kinda of unique and look at the love for the players. However, I doubt at this point in his career at BYU he thinks the fireside is the most important thing they do the week of a football game. However, maybe he will in the future.

Like you, I believe these kids catch on quickly to what someone wants to hear. "The dance" comes to mind and also several reports at another site from LDS kids and the spiritual experience they have, only to end up at USC or Utah.

Bottom line, he sounds like a kid who has his act together.
                            I think the focus upon doing good and inspiring kids to do good is attractive to JQ. He probably is looking forward to the love and adoration, as well as being a role model. I believe he is a good kid and I think he has a bright future at BYU. I also enjoy that he has learned to emphasize that side of the program. I think he also knows that noone wants to hear from nobodys! I also think Mendenhall knows that as well and despite our resident coochie coochie coo wanting to nap until a better HC comes along, Brother M is familiar enough with his atmosphere to recognize that he has no choice but to neutralize the well meaning folks who could screw things up. I sense that he got a little zealous but I think he realized it and is backing off to find a better balance for the religion vs football priority. The LV debacle in '08 might one day be remembered as perhaps a good learning event.

Saying all that, I still think next year is going to be a rough year.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                            X