The Boise phenomenon explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boise phenomenon explained

Some poster named JJS on CG posted this, his only post ever. I think he nailed it.

Originally posted by JJS View Post
    Total heartbreaker for TCU and the MWC. Its a shame really. Both teams are quality teams. Both teams could hang with anyone in college football (except Florida, that team is just out of this world. I hope they stumble over the next couple of years. But I digress). BSU just happened to be more prepared and has had experience playing on this stage. BSU is almost always in the perfect position. They never have anything to lose. They will always be considered an underdog and if they lose, no big deal. Its not like they are playing for the WAC to be considered for an automatic BCS birth. TCU had the weight of the conference, the media, and themselves on their shoulders (rightly or wrongly). College football is part talent, part coaching, and part psychology. Teams that have the wrong kind of pressure on them almost always lose. BSU has no pressure on them. That is why they can pull that gimmicky trick play crap. The MWC still had an amazing bowl season but unfortunately, college football nation will just say "they couldn't win the big game."

JJ
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Frankly, that post also explains Utah's wins over Alabama and Pitt.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Frankly, that post also explains Utah's wins over Alabama and Pitt.
      No, it doesn't. Re Alabama, Utah had a lot of pressure, because people were wondering if it would be the next Hawaii, etc. It didn't have only upside. However, I do think Utah had a big psych advantage for a somewhat different reason--Alabma really didn't want to be there as badly as Utah did.

Utah-Pitt is completely inapt. Utah was a big favorite, expected to kill Pitt.

In both isntances Utah's position was more analogous to TCU's this year.

I reiterate: You're an idiot!
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        No, it doesn't. Re Alabama, Utah had a lot of pressure, because people were wondering if it would be the next Hawaii, etc. It didn't have only upside. However, I do think Utah had a big psych advantage for a somewhat different reason--Alabma really didn't want to be there as badly as Utah did.

Utah-Pitt is completely inapt. Utah was a big favorite, expected to kill Pitt.

In both isntances Utah's position was more analogous to TCU's this year.

I reiterate: You're an idiot!
        Utah had zero pressure because nobody, not even you, expected them to to win. Utah was an upstart vs Alabama with nothing to prove. And frankly, it really proved little other than during that game, it played better than Alabama. If it proved something greater than that, how short lived was the lesson?

Pitt was horrible, so you may be right that Utah was expected to win. In which case, it did win and thus proved little.

sigpic

Comment

Utah had zero pressure because nobody, not even you, expected them to to win. Utah was an upstart vs Alabama with nothing to prove. And frankly, it really proved little other than during that game, it played better than Alabama. If it proved something greater than that, how short lived was the lesson?

Pitt was horrible, so you may be right that Utah was expected to win. In which case, it did win and thus proved little.
          You liar!

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...1&postcount=20

But Utah had pressure just because it was playing Alabama in the SUG. Plenty of teams have wilted simply from nerves and being daunted. Utah was in a far more daunting situation than Boise, playing TCU in the Fiesta. Lest we forget, Boise led TCU most of the game the year before, which is why I felt Boise might win this year.

Alabama was also a better team than TCU. See HL's standard re potential NFL talent.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

BTW, LA and U-Ute will vouch that I said Utah would go up 21-0 on Alabama.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You have already noted twice that Alabama was sorely disappointed about playing in that game, so the victory is tarnished....ironically, by your own admonitions. congrats on beating a team that was emotionally deflated and disinterested.

sigpic

Comment

You have already noted twice that Alabama was sorely disappointed about playing in that game, so the victory is tarnished....ironically, by your own admonitions. congrats on beating a team that was emotionally deflated and disinterested.
                Why does recognizing Utah won because it was pscychologically superior tarnish the win? That's not an ignoble means to victory. On the contrary, it's the most noble, I submit. Of course that's why it won! We all know Utah had fewer future NFLers.

Why do you presume I'm trying even to tarnish Boise?

This is what I would expect from the fan of a school that is known to just go out and buy five star talent. Now, that is what tarnishes NC's and Heisman Trophies.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

can you two get a room?
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Some poster named JJS on CG posted this, his only post ever. I think he nailed it.
                    That was a pathetic attempt to denounce BSU's win and try and make TCU and the MWC look good..

As for the gimmicky plays.. PUHLEASE!! BSU dominated Oklahoma and TCU in both of those games.. A few trick plays does not constitute gimmicky plays the entire game.. The played solid and won on good defense and offense...

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      can you two get a room?
                      If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

So in your opinion, the only thing that Utah did in last years Sugar Bowl was play better? Is there another goal in sports aside from that (forgive me if there is something else- I really can't think of anything)? I really don't understand how they didn't have any pressure on them, I mean, it was a multi-million dollar bowl game against one of the most storied football programs of all time.

I'm just confused how you're convinced that game proved little. No need to really complicate any of this- it was a big win for the MWC and all of the other non-AQs'.
                        "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                        -John Heisman

Comment

You did. I was less bullish and thought the Utes would keep it close but that's all I was willing to say. I was mainly glad to be in the Sugar Bowl.

By the way, SU, DDD started his post with the word "frankly." Haven't you learned by now - that is the sound of a hook being dropped in the water?
                          Last edited by LA Ute; 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                          X