• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's hot exiting the bowl season

According to College Football News,

http://cfn.scout.com/2/936494.html
    Who’s Hot ...

25. Idaho head coach Robb Akey
    Not only did he lead the Vandals to a miraculous 43-42 Humanitarian Bowl win over Bowling Green, but he did it on a gutsy two-point conversion at the end of regulation. He could have sent the game to overtime, opting to put the game in the hands of QB Nathan Enderle. Enderle made the coach look brilliant.

24. Auburn CB Neiko Thorpe
    Not only did Thorpe have an Outback Bowl-high 14 tackles and an interception, but his final stop was a game-saver for the Tigers. While many of his teammates appeared to be caught napping by Northwestern’s fake field goal attempt for the win, Thorpe stayed with the play and preserved a thrilling 38-35 victory.

23. The Clemson Defense
    After allowing a touchdown to Kentucky on the opening drive of the Music City Bowl, the Tigers shut the door over the final 55 minutes. The Wildcats didn’t reach the end zone again, finishing with 277 total yards and a face full of LB Kavell Conner and S DeAndre McDaniel.

22. Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu
    Beware, Big East. The Knights have a bona fide star playmaker. Just a rookie, Sanu ran for 41 yards and two scores and caught four balls for 97 yards and another touchdown in a St. Petersburg Bowl rout of UCF.

21. USC WR Damian Williams
    When watching Williams run routes, you can just see the NFL potential oozing from his pads. Boston College sure could in the Emerald Bowl. The junior, with a tough decision about his future, pulled down a dozen of Matt Barkley’s passes for 189 yards.

20. Texas Tech Interim Coach Ruffin McNeill
    As auditions go, McNeil did about as well as could be asked for, leading the Red Raiders to an Alamo Bowl win over depleted Michigan State in the aftermath of the Mike Leach saga. Not only did he get the W, but by inserting sparkplug QB Steven Sheffield into the game in the fourth quarter, he came off as downright clairvoyant.

19. Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden
    What better way to cap an illustrious career than by beating former employer West Virginia in the Gator Bowl? The ‘Noles sent Bowden off with a victory, getting a solid effort from Dekoda Watson and the defense, and 121 yards and two scores on the ground from RB Jermaine Thomas.

18. The Wisconsin D
    Miami scored just two touchdowns on the Badgers in the Champs Sports Bowl. The first one on the opening drive was set up by a long Sam Shields kick return. The second one came late in the fourth quarter while Wisky was in prevent. In between, the ‘Canes could do nothing against LB Chris Borland, DE O’Brien Schofield, and a unit that allowed just 249 total yards.

17. Virginia Tech in the Second Half
    The Hokies turned a close Chick-fil-A Bowl into a snoozer, blowing past Tennessee with 20 unanswered points in the final 30 minutes. RB Ryan Williams ran for 117 yards and two scores to put an exclamation point on a remarkable rookie year and completely shut down the Volunteer offense.

16. South Florida RB Mike Ford
    There was a Ford sighting in, of all places, Toronto. Quiet throughout the year, he nearly matched his season rushing total at the expense of Northern Illinois in the International Bowl, plowing for 207 yards and a score on just 20 carries.

15. Middle Tennessee QB Dwight Dasher
    Dasher delivering in December? Sounds about right. He abused Southern Miss in the New Orleans Bowl, accounting for four touchdowns and rushing for 201 yards on a bad ankle, a bowl-record for a quarterback.

14. Utah QB Jordan Wynn
    The Utes don’t have a flamethrower under center, but they do have a dart thrower, who’s going to, well, win lots of games in Salt Lake City. His first big one came over Cal in the Poinsettia Bowl, the program’s ninth straight bowl victory. After tossing a pick six, the true freshman showed amazing poise, finishing 26-of-36 for 338 yards and three scores.

13. SMU QB Kyle Padron
    Honest, all things SMU, including coach June Jones, belong here after the school whooped Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl in the school’s first postseason game in a quarter-century. Padron, however, gets top billing. The true freshman, who didn’t become a starter until late October, went 32-of-41 for 460 yards and two touchdowns.

12. Ole Miss RB Dexter McCluster
    The first player in SEC history to rush for 1,000 yards and catch passes for 500 yards in the same season, McCluster was the main reason the Rebs are back-to-back Cotton Bowl champs. True to his multi-dimensional personality, he burned Oklahoma State for 184 yards and two scores on the ground, while catching five passes for 45 yards.

11. Connecticut
    Always one of the best coached teams in the country, the Huskies used a familiar formula to notch one of the most important wins in school history. Andre Dixon ran for 126 yards and a score, and the no-name defense kept South Carolina off the board for the first 57 minutes of a 20-7 PapaJohns.com Bowl win.

10. Oklahoma WR Ryan Broyles
    A blur as an inside receiver, Broyles shredded Stanford in the Sun Bowl, catching 13 passes for 156 yards and three touchdowns. Everyone knew where Landry Jones was looking when he dropped back to pass, but it didn’t help the overmatched Cardinal secondary.

9. Bowling Green WR Freddie Barnes
    In typical Barnes fashion, he caught 17 passes for 219 yards and three touchdowns, breaking the FBS record for receptions in a season in the process. The final score with 32 seconds left should have been the game-clincher, but his Falcon teammates were unable to close out Idaho.

8. BYU
    The Cougars didn’t just beat a Pac-10 team in the Las Vegas Bowl, it drilled Oregon State, 44-20. The defense played one of its best games of the season and Max Hall overcame wind gusts of 55 mph to throw three touchdown passes without a pick.

7. Pitt RB Dion Lewis
    That North Carolina defense that Lewis burned for 159 yards and a score in the Meineke Bowl? Yeah, it began the game ninth nationally versus the run. It made no difference to No. 28, who capped a remarkable freshman year by carrying the Panthers on the game-winning drive in a 19-17 win.

6. Navy QB Ricky Dobbs
    Can you say Heisman contention in 2010? Dobbs capped a brilliant, record-breaking junior season by guiding the Midshipmen to an improbable 35-13 blowout of Missouri, running for 166 yards and three scores and adding 130 yards and a touchdown through the air.

5. Air Force
    The Falcons pitched a near perfect game in the Armed Forces Bowl, slamming a Houston team that spent part of the year in the Top 25. Behind Jared Tew and Asher Clark, Air Force rolled for more than 400 yards on the ground and had six interceptions of the usually prolific Case Keenum in a 47-20 stunner.

4. Ohio State
    The Buckeyes got off the BCS schneid in the Rose Bowl, defeating Oregon 26-17. Terrelle Pryor took a big step forward in his maturation, accounting for 338 yards and two scores, and the Buckeye D was in control all afternoon, holding the Ducks to just 260 total yards and almost three touchdowns below their season average.

3. The Nebraska D
    In a historical Holiday Bowl rout, the Blackshirts whitewashed Arizona for the school’s first-ever postseason shutout. A throwback type effort that was sparked by the relentless up front push of Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, and Pierre Allen, Nebraska yielded just six first downs and 109 yards, rarely even allowing the Wildcats to get beyond midfield.

2. Florida QB Tim Tebow
    Where has Tebow been hiding these mad passing skills all season? He went berserk on Cincinnati, setting a Sugar Bowl and BCS bowl record with 533 total yards in the 51-24 demolition. Almost flawless through the air, he went 31-of-35 for 482 yards and three touchdowns in an interesting audition for skeptical NFL GMs.

1. The Mountain West
    The conference has emerged as one of the main stories of this postseason ,,, TCU aside. Demanding more respect and attention from the rest of the country, the Mountain West has swept its four games, upsetting, Cal, Oregon State, Fresno State, and Houston along the way. The league continues to keep the pressure on the BCS to issue it an automatic bid, which could be forthcoming in the next couple of years.

Originally posted by College Football News, View Post
    21. USC WR Damian Williams
    When watching Williams run routes, you can just see the NFL potential oozing from his pads. Boston College sure could in the Emerald Bowl. The junior, with a tough decision about his future, pulled down a dozen of Matt Barkley’s passes for 189 yards.
    I still think Williams needs to learn to catch with his hands. Though I didn't see the Nut Bowl, every time I saw him play this year, he insisted on catching the ball at his pads, as opposed to reaching up and snatching it with his hands. It doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL receiver. But all the great ones (Jerry Rice being a very notable exception) catch with their hands.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'm glad that the TCU loss didn't screw us completely. I'm happy to see us listed #1 in spite of that horribly uninspired loss.

Comment

Flamethrower? What on earth does that even mean?
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Flamethrower? What on earth does that even mean?
          It means Wynn's a bottom.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

One other thing. How can you justify Boise State's absence on this list? What have they done, besides win all but one game in the last two years (and that one game against a top 10 opponent)?

Comment

One other thing. How can you justify Boise State's absence on this list? What have they done, besides win all but one game in the last two years (and that one game against a top 10 opponent)?
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

They've only played two top ten opponents. Well, they've played one team that's been ranked in the top ten both times they've played it.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  They've only played two top ten opponents. Well, they've played one team that's been ranked in the top ten both times they've played it.
                  Fine, then don't throw them a parade. But I will be happy to entertain any argument here that Boise State is not as hot exiting the bowl season as Air Force.

Comment

Boise goes into next season better positioned than any other non AQ ever.

It's not debatable.

TCU is second ever.

Both finish the regular season undefeated. Both will finish highly ranked. BSU will return everyone. So will TCU.

What these two teams are doing this year is pretty unprecedented in terms of the success they are having with teams filled with players that still have eligibility.

The prior Boise and Utah teams that went undefeated and won BCS bowls lost tons to graduation.

That's just not the case with TCU and Boise this year. It's pretty amazing, and, quite honestly, I am rotten with jealousy of the position they are both in.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                      Boise goes into next season better positioned than any other non AQ ever.

It's not debatable.

TCU is second ever.

Both finish the regular season undefeated. Both will finish highly ranked. BSU will return everyone. So will TCU.

What these two teams are doing this year is pretty unprecedented in terms of the success they are having with teams filled with players that still have eligibility.

The prior Boise and Utah teams that went undefeated and won BCS bowls lost tons to graduation.

That's just not the case with TCU and Boise this year. It's pretty amazing, and, quite honestly, I am rotten with jealousy of the position they are both in.
                      And they'll both face each other again in a BCS bowl!
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Fine, then don't throw them a parade. But I will be happy to entertain any argument here that Boise State is not as hot exiting the bowl season as Air Force.
                        This whole list is stupid. THere are people on there and rankings that are premised on people who are no longer with their teams. What does "Tim Tebow is hot" supposed to mean in college football? The woolly mammoth is hot?
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I think the only reason they may not be on there is because we all already know.

They didn't list that Alabama and Florida are really good, because it is a given. I think BSU is garnering that type of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            I think the only reason they may not be on there is because we all already know.

They didn't list that Alabama and Florida are really good, because it is a given. I think BSU is garnering that type of respect.
                            Well, they DID list Tebow, oddly enough.

But that's a good point.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd call any of the wins by MWC teams upsets. Maybe Wyoming over Fresno...
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X