BYU officially loses Jamora.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU officially loses Jamora.........

He has been wavering for a while but he officially decommits today and has narrowed it down to Washington, Boise State, Oregon State and Hawaii.

http://byu.scout.com/2/936147.html

(free article).
    *Banned*

Junkie, what's the word on why he was wavering?

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      He has been wavering for a while but he officially decommits today and has narrowed it down to Washington, Boise State, Oregon State and Hawaii.

http://byu.scout.com/2/936147.html

(free article).
      This part is kinda weak, " I haven’t really called to tell the coaches that I wasn’t coming....... I know I can’t make everyone happy but I haven’t really told them."

He mentions telling them maybe, but he always follows up with "I haven't really told them.

Other than that, glad to see he is doing what he wants to do. It is not a decision that you want to make and then regret. But just call and tell them. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Comment

Wow. He is entering medical school right out of high school:

Although he hasn’t made a decision regarding what school he will now attend, and all the aforementioned schools are still on the table, Jamora said Washington is currently in the lead “a little bit.”

“I want to go into the medical field and they’re in the top 10 in public medical schools in the USA, so that’s a plus. That’s really the bottom line for me.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Must be related to Doogie Howser. It's funny to see people's perceptions about higher education.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

How many commits does that leave them with now? 32?
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I've seen recruits mention Utah's medical school. I always chuckle, but usually keep it to myself. I think, "Hey, whatever gets you here..."

Reality is, it means BUPKIS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                I've seen recruits mention Utah's medical school. I always chuckle, but usually keep it to myself. I think, "Hey, whatever gets you here..."

I disagree. I have known big Ute fans on the admissions committee. That has to help.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I can see why you are saying that but I know of at least two situations in which it mattered a lot. Not saying it's huge factor but "bupkis" goes way too far.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    I can see why you are saying that but I know of at least two situations in which it mattered a lot. Not saying it's huge factor but "bupkis" goes way too far.
                    Of course it helps. Numbers (GPA and MCAT scores) are the starting point, but medical schools publicize all the time that numbers aren't the whole thing. They want to see extracurricular activities, evidence of a well rounded and disciplined person. Yes, they like evidence of charitable work. But more than anything they like a balanced and distinguished person, on the Greek model. If Alex Smith or Brian Johnson had wanted to go to the U med school his performance on the football team certainly would have helped. Why wouldn't it? It wouldn't be the whole story, but it would be a material factor. For that matter, though, any med school ought to look favorably on it. But especially if he's a local hero.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Of course it helps. Numbers (GPA and MCAT scores) are the starting point, but medical schools publicize all the time that numbers aren't the whole thing. They want to see extracurricular activities, evidence of a well rounded and disciplined person. Yes, they like evidence of charitable work. But more than anything they like a balanced and distinguished person, on the Greek model. If Alex Smith or Brian Johnson had wanted to go to the U med school his performance on the football team certainly would have helped. Why wouldn't it? It wouldn't be the whole story, but it would be a material factor. For that matter, though, any med school ought to look favorably on it. But especially if he's a local hero.
                      I don't think it would have helped them any more at the U. than at any other medical school that was comparable in admissions standards to the U.

In generaly, I think attending the undergrad school that is tied to the graduate program is probably as often a negative as it is a positive, for the very reason that they want to see people move around, experience life, and as you point out, become well-rounded people.

I suppose being a local celebrity might help, then again, the school may not want that kind of disruption.

Comment

I don't think it would have helped them any more at the U. than at any other medical school that was comparable in admissions standards to the U.

In generaly, I think attending the undergrad school that is tied to the graduate program is probably as often a negative as it is a positive, for the very reason that they want to see people move around, experience life, and as you point out, become well-rounded people.

I suppose being a local celebrity might help, then again, the school may not want that kind of disruption.
                        This is such crap.

First, all public medical schools (including Utah and Washington) per state law heavily weight admissions in favor of in-state residents. I have no doubt that each school has more graduates of its college than any other college. Utah has the potential of being an exceptional situation because of the BYU factor. However, we're talking about a kid who's interested in WASHINTON because of the med school. I assure you that admisssions people at UW med school regard their university the best in the state. A medical school aspirant would at least gain by becoming an in-state resident. Ironically, I have heard complaints that the U of U med school is biased against BYU garaduates. I have heard some remarks that make me think there's some credence to that.

Moreover, you bet a hot recruit expects to be an in-state celebrity by the time he applies to medical school. Why shouldn't he? He plans to be a starter, etc.; he plans to succeed; he's sought after now, after all; that's also a prediate for his belief that it will give him a leg up in applying to medical school.

Finally, to reiterate, I've known several docs on the U admissions committee, who intereviewed applicants, who were big Ute fans. For one thing, physicians associated with the teams come from the med school. They donate their time because they love DI atheletics. Typically, team docs don't bet paid. It's considered a privilege.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                        X