PDA

View Full Version : RobinFinderson

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
How did you find CUF?

After getting kicked off of CG for annoying and mostly-mild abusive behavior, I lurked their creepily for many months. When CUF started, I found out within minutes, and was one of the first subscribers!

What do you like about CUF?

There is plenty to like, but one thing that stands out is how by reading CUF I always seem to know about the current LDS news items before any of the active members in my extended family. There is also Grapevine, whose voice and POV I find very entertaining.

What don't I like about CUF?

Assuming the SE still exists in its old format, that.

How did you choose your moniker?

My foray into BYU-related message boards began by invitation from MikeWaters. I liked the idea of using a real sounding name as a moniker, so I chose RobinFinderson. RF are my real initials, and the name sounds a bit like my real name. I was also liked the gender ambiguity of "Robin," and the name RobinFinderson also sounds like it sort of means something, maybe "Rob and find her son," which doesn't really mean anything, but has sort of a "Holden Caulfield" feel to it (what does Holden Caulfield mean? Maybe something!)

What do you do (other than read CUF)?
Teach, design, photograph, eat, family stuff, ride motorcycles, camp, hike, play video games, think slightly deeper thoughts than average.

How many States have you lived in?
MT, CA, UT, CT

What are your sports loyalties?
BYU Cougars, Great Falls High Bison, Yale Bulldogs.

What's your standing in the church?
Formally resigned.

Do you pee in the sink?
Often.

When your kids get older, will you do drugs with them in order to teach them a responsible approach to drugs?
What kind of twisted question is this??

Are you looking forward to Wuap's welcome question and what do you think it will be?
Yes, I am looking forward to it, and whatever the question, I hope it will offer some insight into his banana fetish.

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?
I creep therefore I am. How long have I been lurking? Since just about forever.

Surfah
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Welcome back.

Fiyero
01-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome, Robin! Great 4,613th post!

Babs
01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
sweet! we need somebody to steal the spotlight from superman!!!

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Welcome, Robin! Great 4,613th post!

I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

wuapinmon
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
[B]Are you looking forward to Wuap's welcome question and what do you think it will be?
Yes, I am looking forward to it, and whatever the question, I hope it will offer some insight into his banana fetish.
[B]

It is not a fetish. I do not need a banana to climax or achieve sexual gratification. but it helps.

It's good to have you back. A question will come later tonight. Prepare for an LDS-themed one.

Babs
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I'm holding out 'til number 10,000 or so, myself. Hoping to make a dramatic entrance. (Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to top Rosie's 200+ post thread. That and I'm afraid I'll miss wuapinmon's question. I have bouts of terrible test anxiety.)

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
As a quick note, so we are all caught up: I liked Avatar; thank goodness that underwear bomber failed; it pisses me off that airlines now charge per-bag; I'm tired of Obama and his kids aren't as cute as everyone once thought; good job Cougs!, good job Utes!, good job Boise!, bad job TCU!; snow mostly sucks, and I'm glad to reside in Los Angeles; is A'nuld really still my governator?; PBS Newshour is still the best news program on television; I'm sick of Olberman, Maddow, O'Reily, Glen, and all of their ilk; Bill Moyers still brings it.

There is a month or two worth of posts, condensed soup version.

Rosebud
01-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Robin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very happy you are here. :):):):):)

Art Vandelay
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Welcome back....now go and get Tex to partake.

JohnnyLingo
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Welcome back, Robin! You're my favorite apostate.

Rosebud
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm holding out 'til number 10,000 or so, myself. Hoping to make a dramatic entrance. (Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to top Rosie's 200+ post thread. That and I'm afraid I'll miss wuapinmon's question. I have bouts of terrible test anxiety.)

300+ You're just jealous of my sweet, childlike nature that causes men to swoon.

UtahDan
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Welcome Robin. Who is the person in your avatar?

DU Ute
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Katy Lied
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Welcome Robin. Who is the person in your avatar?

I always thought it was Robin. It looks like him.

I.J. Reilly
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice to see you back, Robin.

byu71
01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Welcome. I am glad to have your here.

beefytee
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Good to see you back!

UtahDan
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I don't think so. The real Robin has tatoos on his face.

pellegrino
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Welcome back Robin. I am elated that you chose the pellegrino-approved template to reintroduce yourself. Looks like I need to update the trattoria's menu.

Non Sequitur
01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around...

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Gidget
01-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good to see ya Robin.

Pheidippides
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM

That's what I always thought too.

And welcome back. Babs is hoping you'll stir up some trouble so people will pay less attention to me, which will make her feel better that they are not paying attention to her, until she realizes they're still not paying attention to her.

landpoke
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
CM Russel is the only real high school in Great Falls.

Jeff Lebowski
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Welcome back, stranger.

Babs
01-09-2010, 06:38 PM

And welcome back. Babs is hoping you'll stir up some trouble so people will pay less attention to me, which will make her feel better that they are not paying attention to her, until she realizes they're still not paying attention to her.

:mad:

Don't you dare up the ante again. I'm running out of trump cards!

beefytee
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM

I learned this the hard way.

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't think so. The real Robin has tatoos on his face.

I don't know how this rumor got started, so I will blame Tim.

Yes, it is I.

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome back Robin. I am elated that you chose the pellegrino-approved template to reintroduce yourself. Looks like I need to update the trattoria's menu.

Please do! Your oily tomato sauce, which was no help for my complexion and may have contributed to the rumors of my facial tattoos, was my primary link to CUF during my brief sabbatical. Faith still makes that sauce once a week, which is why I call it 'Pellegrino's Week Sauce.'

RobinFinderson
01-09-2010, 07:43 PM

CMR was for the wealthy kids moving into the upper-middle-class suburbs on the other side of the Missouri. Great Falls High met the needs of the old town, blue collar and working class.

I did pay a visit to the CM Russel Museum when I was in Great Falls. The man was a master, and a true inspiration. Faith and LR didn't tag along, so I had more time than usual to read Russel's letters. The man was a wit as well as a painter. Good ol' Great Falls.

UtahDan
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't know how this rumor got started, so I will blame Tim.

Yes, it is I.

I'm not fooled!

Pheidippides
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
CMR was for the wealthy kids moving into the upper-middle-class suburbs on the other side of the Missouri. Great Falls High met the needs of the old town, blue collar and working class.

I did pay a visit to the CM Russel Museum when I was in Great Falls. The man was a master, and a true inspiration. Faith and LR didn't tag along, so I had more time than usual to read Russel's letters. The man was a wit as well as a painter. Good ol' Great Falls.

I love Great Falls. Charming town. And the drive there from Helena (where I used to live) is great too.

FN Phat
01-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Welcome back!

beefytee
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I love Great Falls. Charming town. And the drive there from Helena (where I used to live) is great too.

It is great.

I've driven through there dozens of times. I love it....When it isn't icy or snowing.

Babs
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
300+ You're just jealous of my sweet, childlike nature that causes men to swoon.

they're all yours, rosebud.

UtahDan
01-09-2010, 09:20 PM

I have the perfect image for this, but discretion is the better part of valor.

Babs
01-09-2010, 09:35 PM

yeah, but since when have you been valiant? :D

Rosebud
01-09-2010, 10:31 PM

What?! No cat fight? No drama? Meh..... in that case you can keep 'em.

Babs
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
What?! No cat fight? No drama? Meh..... in that case you can keep 'em.

psst: they're a bit of an egotistical lot. they might not take rejection well.

Rosebud
01-09-2010, 10:36 PM

AttorneyDan.... in this case your discretion deserves my sincere thanks.

New Mexican Disaster
01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Welcome back. Hope you enjoyed your sabbatical. You always make things more interesting.

Rosebud
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
psst: they're a bit of an egotistical lot. they might not take rejection well.

hmmmm..... you're right. let's use theatrical flattery to boost their egos so we don't have to cope with any more tantrums.

Babs
01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
hmmmm..... you're right. let's use theatrical flattery to boost their egos so we don't have to cope with any more tantrums.

ha! Why else do you think they've let me stick around for three years!

Rosebud
01-10-2010, 05:42 AM
ha! Why else do you think they've let me stick around for three years!

I doubt they can even begin to appreciate the heavy heavy weight you've had to carry.

happyone
01-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Welcome back, you always make things interesting

woot
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Glad to have you back, Robin.

pellegrino
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Please do! Your oily tomato sauce, which was no help for my complexion and may have contributed to the rumors of my facial tattoos, was my primary link to CUF during my brief sabbatical. Faith still makes that sauce once a week, which is why I call it 'Pellegrino's Week Sauce.'

There was an error in the recipe. Fiyero or Falafel or one of our F moniker posters asked me about it and we realized that the amount of tomatoes I put in the original recipe was wrong. I've fixed it, check it out. Either way, you've given it a great name. When I publish my recipe book, I'll be sure to credit you.

RobinFinderson
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
There was an error in the recipe. Fiyero or Falafel or one of our F moniker posters asked me about it and we realized that the amount of tomatoes I put in the original recipe was wrong. I've fixed it, check it out. Either way, you've given it a great name. When I publish my recipe book, I'll be sure to credit you.

Link? I started to dig into the food section, but must have missed the Trattoria Pellegrino. As it stands, Faith makes this dish faithfully, once a week, and I faithfully drain the olive oil from my dish between heaping servings.

pellegrino
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Link? I started to dig into the food section, but must have missed the Trattoria Pellegrino. As it stands, Faith makes this dish faithfully, once a week, and I faithfully drain the olive oil from my dish between heaping servings.

I mistyped an 8 oz can when it's really a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes. If you still think it's too oily then feel free to use less oil.
http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=7418

RobinFinderson
01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I mistyped an 8 oz can when it's really a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes. If you still think it's too oily then feel free to use less oil.
http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=7418

LOL! We had been using a 28oz can of tomatoes, so maybe Faith was upping the olive oil quantity proportionally. It is a little oily, but I love olive oil, so what is not to like?

pellegrino
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
LOL! We had been using a 28oz can of tomatoes, so maybe Faith was upping the olive oil quantity proportionally. It is a little oily, but I love olive oil, so what is not to like?

28 oz can? you can feed an army with that much sauce. I wouldn't use more than 6-8 oz of oil for that size can. Tell Faith to try it as it is now. I think you'll like it even more.

RobinFinderson
05-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone!

I've come to understand that I was at the center of a lot of drama this week, and I wanted to clear the air a little bit, and offer my perspective on what happened.

First of all, for the benefit of anyone that might not know what I am talking about, CUF has a private forum called the Speak Easy, where old-timer community members discuss things that they don't want to share in public. Entry into the SE requires several months of board participation followed by a nomination followed by winning a super-majority vote of the other members of the SE. The final requirement for SE admission is that the winning candidate agree to abide by the rules of the SE. I'm not sure what all of that entails, but the main rule is that anything shared in the SE is shared in confidentiality, and should not be discussed outside the SE.

This week I was nominated for entry, and I lost the vote for the 7th time, which is a number that I didn't know except that one of my detractors giddily posted that fact on FaceBook, and a mutual friend passed that tidbit along. Again, for the benefit of people who don't know about the SE, 7 losses for entry is an unprecedented number. I believe that everyone that was accepted into the SE was either admitted on the first or second vote, which is typical.

The unprecedented number is the result of a strange relationship that I have had with this board, and with the parent boards of CUF, which are CougarGuard and CougarBoard, over the course of nearly seven years now (I made my first CB post (http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=301533) in 2003). I joined CougarBoard at the invitation of MikeWaters, who was my best friend at the time. Most of the damage to my reputation, which has resulted in a good amount of suspicion about my purpose in life, is related in one way or another to the sad collapse of my friendship with Mike.

I would like to address some of the specific concerns that some of you have about me. I became aware of these concerns when some members of the SE asked me about them, seeking my side of the story rather than depending on the (often) exaggerated accounts being volleyed back and forth between my friends and detractors in the SE. I would like to thank those of you who took the time to ask me for my perspective, and I would like to share it with everyone now that the vote has ended.

Hey Robin, do you even want to be a member of the SE?
Yes, I do! I have almost always wanted to participate in the SE and Crypt (the progenitor of the SE on CougarGuard). I haven't always dealt with the rejection very well, which has led me to be a vocal opponent of the entry process for the SE, which I think has a tendency to produce a kind of gossip which can be damaging to a community, but I can really appreciate the value of a forum that doesn't get Google indexed. There have been a good number of times over the years when I really wish that I had been able to work through some personal trials with my friends in the SE. Each time I would lose entry, it would really hurt my feelings. I would hear about some terrible bit of gossip that was shared about me, and it would depress me that CUF was providing an official platform for people to spread terrible rumors about me. Eventually I decided to rescind my interest in participation, because it was all too painful. Then I changed my mind, one last time. I decided that I did not want to give my detractors the last word, especially when my desire to participate had never really diminished. So yes folks, I do want to participate.

Hey Robin, given your history with The Crypt on CougarGuard, can you be trusted to honor the confidentiality of the SE?
The Crypt, like the SE, had a confidentiality pact for its members. For some time, I had been trying to 'fit in' on CougarGuard. By this point my friendship with MikeWaters had come completely undone, and I suspected that Mike was undermining my efforts to participate from behind the Crypt's vault door. One day, while switching VB setups, Mike left the Crypt door open, and I took a look around. I wasn't interested in the entire contents of The Crypt. I simply wanted to know if Mike was using The Crypt as a forum to damage my reputation, so I performed a quick search for the words "Robin" and "Finderson." Many posts came up. I was worried that I wouldn't get the chance to read them, so I clicked on them, one at a time, and copied (CTRL+C) and pasted (CTRL+P) them into a Word document, so I could read them later. I really wish I hadn't done that, because what I learned about Mike only took the sad situation of our deteriorating friendship and made it much much worse. The things he was saying in secret were some of the most hurtful things I have ever had directed against me, and it put me into a serious funk.

The Word file lived on a HD on an old PC. The HD was corrupted a few years ago. I brought it into a data recovery center, but couldn't afford the $1500 it would take for the chance to recover some of the data. I lost thousands of photos, and have since become an assiduous backer upper, but the real point here is that I am no longer in possession of that information. If I were to ever come across a duplicate of that file, I would delete it without any further review. It is sad, sad data that I would just as soon forget.

I think the main point I would like to make here is that the circumstances behind what happened on CG are very different than the circumstances we have here on CUF. I hadn't made any promise to avoid The Crypt, the way I would promise if I were to be admitted to the SE. The curiosity that led me to walk through the Crypt door is more reflective of my relationship with Waters than it is of my integrity. If I give the CUF community my word that I will honor the confidentiality of what happens in the SE, I will honor that word.

Hey Robin, you are sort of creepy, and I'm not sure that I want to open up around you.
It is hard to see one's own creepiness, but when I try to imagine being in someone else's shoes, a few things come to mind.

1. My relationship with MikeWaters.
I love MikeWaters. I invited him to be part of my family, to be a sort of LDS Godfather to my son, and Mike accepted. He was also my best friend from college, and an official temple witness at my wedding. MikeWaters was the last great friendship from my youth. Maybe some of you all know what I am talking about, but it seems like there is a difference between the kinds of friendships we make as adults, vs the friendships we forged as children and in our youth. Mike was the last of that kind of friend, and I hoped that we would enjoy that friendship for the rest of our lives.

Anyone who knows Mike also knows that he can have a sharp tongue. I, too, can have a sharp tongue. We often had differences, and we didn't always work them out in the kindest way, but we did always work things out. Shortly before Mike started CG, I confessed to him that I had lost my testimony of the LDS church. From that point forward, it seemed as if we were never able to resolve our differences. Rather than fighting it out, and wiping the slate clean, each petty argument seemed to build on the one before it. This is where we were when Mike started CG, which unfortunately became a window onto the final stages of our friendship. It was ugly, and painful, and I acted very badly. I count the things I said that sealed the fate of our relationship among the greatest regrets of my life.

What may look legitimately creepy about all of this, so many years after the fact, is that I still hope to make things right between us. Maybe once or twice a year, I drop Mike a two-line note, simply to let him know that the door is open. To some, that sounds creepy and stalker-like. I recognize the creepy potential, and try to keep things very brief, usually only a sentence or two. I still check out CG from time to time, because I like the sound of his 'voice.' I really care about him and I miss him, and I occasionally try to let him know that the door is open. That is the extent of the creepiness. There is no other similar creepy relationship in my life, and I think I'm passed the point in life of forging those kinds of friendships. In short, whatever creepiness there is, I wouldn't spill out in any equivalent kind of creepiness in the SE.

2. My interest in porn.
Though I am probably not the only CUF person who uses porn, I am probably the only person who doesn't feign public shame about it. My feelings are primarily rooted in personal experiences, where the porn in my youth contributed to depression and a sense of being unlovable in God's eyes, and the porn in my adult life helped bridge several 'dry' years of my marriage, when Faith was working through some trauma-related stress. I finally decided that porn was no threat to our relationship, and on the contrary, it helped me to provide Faith the space she needed at the time. Porn can be useful. Porn needn't ruin relationships. If it isn't a secret, porn needn't be shameful. I realize that some people might think that is creepy, but it is the libertarian position that my experience has led me to accept after spending many years on both sides of the fence on this issue.

3. Rumors of serious evil.
I have agreed not to mention any details here, but there continue to be some serious rumors of personal evil conduct. These rumors are complete lies. Being confronted by these rumors has been one of the most surreal experiences of my life. Please don't believe them. If you have questions, I would be happy to address them privately.

Hey Robin, you say you are a penitent person, but I just find that hard to believe after everything that happened on CG.
As I noted before, my performance on CG continues to rank among my greatest regrets in life. I had come 'out of the closet' as an apostate, and I felt that my world was crumbling around me as a result. I lost the kindness of friends and family, an that, more than anything else, made me feel bitter toward the church. I handled things badly, and burned bridges that might have been spared. The reservations felt by anyone who witnessed that are understandable.

I hope to someday be judged by what I have contributed here on CUF, rather than by how I poorly managed to navigate one of the most depressing and difficult times in my life. What it really comes down to is that I am a person who likes to debate politics and ethics, I like to talk about movies and video games and board games, I like to take photographs and make things, I like to run long distances, and I like to waste an inordinate amount of time on the internet. In other words, I am just like anyone else on CUF, but with my own unique bag of interests. An examination of my contributions to this board will show that I am generally polite and respectful, and that in the areas that reflect my interests, I have made great efforts to keep the board lively, fun and interesting.

Well you aren't always respectful. Look at your recent exchanges with IPU.
I would like to be friends with IPU. I really would, but I don't think he is interested, and I accept that. IPU is among a handful of people who witnessed my antics on CG, and for whom those antics might be his last impression. To IPU, and anyone else who suffered through those antics on CG, I offer my apologies. I'm ashamed of that behavior, and I've tried to make amends here on CUF.

More to the point, in spite of IPU's and my recent kerfuffle, I commit to leaving him alone, both in private and public, just as he asked. I also commit to giving IPU his space in the SE, if the day ever comes when I can participate. I'm not on CUF to make enemies, and to the people who think they are my enemies, I offer an olive branch. If people want to stir things up with me, I'm always up for a fight, but only in the sense of sparring. If a fight feels like it has crossed a line and become serious, I'm going to back down. Again, I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings.

Hey Robin, is it okay if I ask you a couple of questions?
Of course. I don't expect to resolve every concern people may have with this one HUGE post. The main thing I want to communicate here is that I am committed to this community, and I am committed to addressing the concerns that lead people to vote 'no' when it comes to my SE participation. If anyone has any questions, I would be very happy to answer them.

In six months or so, when the whole thing happens again, I hope to have more people's support. I participate on CUF because I love this place. It is fun. It has greatly enriched my life, as it has for many others on the board. I enjoy this place and I enjoy the people who call it home. I hope, someday, to be able to participate on the board in full, and I would ask those people with some reservations to please reconsider. There have been a number of times when I could have really used a place like the SE, to work through some tough situations. Likewise, I would like the chance to support my own CUF brothers and sisters in their own struggles and trials. If the day ever comes, when I get the chance to participate in the SE, everyone will wake up the next day and remember all of this drama like waking up from a strange dream. It will truly be a non-event.

Peace,

rf

DU Ute
05-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for sharing this, it is good to hear your side of things.

cougjunkie
05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Robin, I voted no just for the record. Nothing against you but I vote no for everyone. In fact I would vote no for my own mother. So please do not take it personal.

Besides that, the SE is ruined anyway since someone is obviously leaking information.

RobinFinderson
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Robin, I voted no just for the record. Nothing against you but I vote no for everyone. In fact I would vote no for my own mother. So please do not take it personal.

Besides that, the SE is ruined anyway since someone is obviously leaking information.

I hope I haven't give you the impression that someone is leaking information to me from the SE. The friends who have offered me their kind support have been extremely circumspect in their approach to talking about things. They have probably erred on the side of caution. The issues I'm addressing here are those that were asked of me in PM's. They are known issues that have been discussed outside the SE, and the people who asked them were simply taking their voting duties seriously, and did not share with me the SE context of the issues (who raised them, etc.). I want to make it very clear, that I know of no rats in the SE. The closest thing I've seen to a true leak was a PM I received saying, "You might want to be on your best behavior this week." By the time I received that, I already knew that something was going on. There were tons of people online, the SE was packed, and a good number of people were reading some old threads that related to your truly.

The SE doesn't have the problem you think it has. On a side note, I would appreciate your support the next time around. Being able to participate would mean a lot to me.

Colly Wolly
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
You are one crazy dude. Be well.

woot
05-19-2010, 05:37 PM
It's nice to hear your side. I'm sure this post will be linked next time there's a vote (which I hope doesn't happen for a long time, frankly).

New Mexican Disaster
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Let the guy in. He contributes as much or more than anyone on here and he has one of the most refreshing points of view on CUF. He truly is one of the gang.

As one banished from the Inner Sanctum of the other board I can sympathize with the feeling. I know that to many I have zero credibility because I blew my chance, but in reality he never has had a chance.

Viking
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Robin, if invited to the SE (which I never will be), I would soundly reject it. The idea of having a secret internet club is about the geekiest thing I've heard of, and I'm a king amongst geeks as a devoted Rush fan. I like Star Trek, too.

But I'd say hell no to the SE. Losers.

falafel
05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Robin, if invited to the SE (which I never will be), I would soundly reject it. The idea of having a secret internet club is about the geekiest thing I've heard of, and I'm a king amongst geeks as a devoted Rush fan. I like Star Trek, too.

But I'd say hell no to the SE. Losers.

Ha! Yet you've made over 1700 posts on a board made up of those same losers.

Viking
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Ha! Yet you've made over 1700 posts on a board made up of those same losers.
1700 posts = geek. guilty

secret internet club = loser. not guilty

(of course I'm kidding)

UtahDan
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Robin you certainly advocate for yourself much better than anyone else who has attempted it.

Surfah
05-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Robin you certainly advocate for yourself much better than anyone else who has attempted it.

:iagree:

Pheidippides
05-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Amen.

falafel
05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
1700 posts = geek. guilty

secret internet club = loser. not guilty

(of course I'm kidding)

They are merely two points on the same spectrum, my geeky loser friend. :)

byu71
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
For the record Robin, I have no problem with you disagreeing with me on about everything or is it vice versa.:)

Tim
05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

I agree, too. :)

BlueHair
05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your contributions. Its good to have a wide variety of personalities and beliefs in the community. My personal thought is people are probably threatened by your honesty. I find it refreshing.

Rosebud
05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I hate to sound so uncommitted to policy and procedure, but wouldn't it be easier to just revamp this whole system? From out here it seems so silly to keep putting the board through these roller coaster rides in order to maintain a tradition that seems to do at least as much harm as good. Talk about emotional stress when none is necessary. We've all got real lives to live.

I don't want to wait around for the next time Robin can be nominated so that there can be a big fight and he can be rejected for the eighth time. Is it okay if I use the word "crazy" here?

Colly Wolly
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't want to wait around for the next time Robin can be nominated so that there can be a big fight and he can be rejected for the eighth time. Is it okay if I use the word "crazy" here?

Already taken care of.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Is it okay if I use the word "crazy" here?

You can use that crazy elbow avatar, it is your world Rosie we are just living in it.

RobinFinderson
05-19-2010, 11:09 PM

:) I had heard that passion of my friends didn't necessarily work in my favor. That put a huge smile on my face and made me wish I could have seen it. To all of the kind people who risked their bacon on my behalf, thank you so much! The kindness of that gesture means more to me than winning the vote.

plBmwPYIG9g

:D :D :D

Rosebud
05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
You can use that crazy elbow avatar, it is your world Rosie we are just living in it.

Huh???? Which avatar is that? What am I missing this time?

MindfulCoug
05-20-2010, 12:12 AM
You can use that crazy ankle avatar, it is your world Rosie we are just living in it.

Fixed.

MindfulCoug
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I would vote No if i had to, just because Robin is too entertaining to be wearing SE burka and kept way from public eyes.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Fixed.

lol.... he can't tell the difference between a woman's elbow and a woman's ankle. What do we learn from this?

FYI HFN, the crazy ankle avatar is a snub.... just in case you missed that, too.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
05-20-2010, 07:36 AM
lol.... he can't tell the difference between a woman's elbow and a woman's ankle. What do we learn from this?

FYI HFN, the crazy ankle avatar is a snub.... just in case you missed that, too.

It looks a lot like an amputated elbow that someone tried to save part of the forearm by turning it into a hand.

What did you learn? I'd love to know.

What was the snub? I know for a while you had a crush on waup, did he shoot you down? Don't feel bad it isn't you personally he is just already in love with DDD.

Shaka
05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Robin,

I'm curious why you think lobbying in the open forum for your inclusion is a good idea considering doing so is violating the SE rules. I voted in your favor but these types of posts make me question whether or not I did the right thing.

Drunk Tank
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
How could Robin be violating SE rules when he is not a member? :confused:

Robin,

As I was not an active member on either Cougarguard or CougarBoard, I was not aware of your past. Thanks for posting what you did.

Shaka
05-20-2010, 08:47 AM
How could Robin be violating SE rules when he is not a member? :confused:

Obviously he's not a member but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be subject to the rules. If I wanted to prove my worth to an organization I wouldn't prove it by blatantly violating their rules while trying to gain entry.

Drunk Tank
05-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Obviously he's not a member but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be subject to the rules. If I wanted to prove my worth to an organization I wouldn't prove it by blatantly violating their rules while trying to gain entry.

While I agree with you in theory, how can someone be held to rules he has never been privy to? It is like a non-member being held accountable for violating the WOW. He may know what the WOW is, but he is not expected to follow it until he is a member.

falafel
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
While I agree with you in theory, how can someone be held to rules he has never been privy to? It is like a non-member being held accountable for violating the WOW. He may know what the WOW is, but he is not expected to follow it until he is a member.

What rule is he meant to have broken?

Drunk Tank
05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
What rule is he meant to have broken?

I am not sure? Ask Shaka, he originally posted that he felt Robin was violating the SE rules. I assume its the what happens in the SE stays in the SE rule.

Also, I dont feel like Robin was "campaigning" for entrance as much as he was trying to set the record straight about his past.

smokymountainrain
05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I am not sure? Ask Shaka, he originally posted that he felt Robin was violating the SE rules. I assume its the what happens in the SE stays in the SE rule.

Also, I dont feel like Robin was "campaigning" for entrance as much as he was trying to set the record straight about his past.

Yep.

falafel
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Yep.

Although I think Robin would agree he's campaigned in the past.

And, I think his recent post (Hi Robin!) was in fact a campaign stump. I don't have any problem with that though.

Coach McGuirk
05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Dear Robin. I voted no. Much like Junk, it has nothing to do with you. I think the last time I voted yes for anyone was some time back in September. You will get in though, I can see it.

Also, can I violate the SE rules by disclosing my own vote? Uh oh.

smokymountainrain
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM

And, I think his recent post (Hi Robin!) was in fact a campaign stump. I don't have any problem with that though.

It was most likely a little of both. But I certainly understood it to be mostly him setting the record straight than a campaign stump. In fact, I didn't see it as a campaign stump at all, but I will concede that it could have been that in part.

RobinFinderson
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM

I didn't even know that there was a rule against campaigning. For what it is worth, I waited until after the process was over in order to not appear to be trying to manipulate the outcome. As for what happens six months down the road (or whenever), I figured that the questions that I answered for some in private might also be questions that others have, so I put that info out there.

falafel
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
It was most likely a little of both. But I certainly understood it to be mostly him setting the record straight than a campaign stump. In fact, I didn't see it as a campaign stump at all, but I will concede that it could have been that in part.

I agree, it was both.

Robin, we have successfully divined the intention of your post. No need to respond. :D

smokymountainrain
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Dear Robin. I voted no. Much like Junk, it has nothing to do with you. I think the last time I voted yes for anyone was some time back in September. You will get in though, I can see it.

Also, can I violate the SE rules by disclosing my own vote? Uh oh.

Next UFC fight at junkie's place...I'm kicking both your asses. At the same time, if you guys so choose.

Coach McGuirk
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Next UFC fight at junkie's place...I'm kicking both your asses. At the same time, if you guys so choose.

look forward to it. I've been working on my jits.

Shaka
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM

I think that in Robin's case the cat has been out of the bag for quite some time.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Robin,

I'm curious why you think lobbying in the open forum for your inclusion is a good idea considering doing so is violating the SE rules. I voted in your favor but these types of posts make me question whether or not I did the right thing.

Sigh... come on. This is a joke, right? The cat is OUT of the bag. It's pretty lame to have secret elections going on behind people's backs then to get after them for trying to lobby or publicly defend themselves.

I'm glad that people are fessing up to their votes, though. Why not bring the whole "matriculation" process out into the open where it's just a wee bit more fair for the nominee? If anyone has an intrinsic right to lobby for inclusion, it's the person seeking it.

That way you'd still be able to have control over who is included, but you wouldn't have this secretive and (frankly) rather insulting nomination and election process.

falafel
05-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Sigh... come on. This is a joke, right? The cat is OUT of the bag. It's pretty lame to have secret elections going on behind people's backs then to get after them for trying to lobby or publicly defend themselves.

I'm glad that people are fessing up to their votes, though. Why not bring the whole "matriculation" process out into the open where it's just a wee bit more fair for the nominee? If anyone has an intrinsic right to lobby for inclusion, it's the person seeking it.

That way you'd still be able to have control over who is included, but you wouldn't have this secretive and (frankly) rather insulting nomination and election process.

I don't see how making the voting public would help things, though.

smokymountainrain
look forward to it. I've been working on my jits.

I've been working on my gut. You guys should be scared.

Rosebud
It looks a lot like an amputated elbow that someone tried to save part of the forearm by turning it into a hand.

What was the snub? I know for a while you had a crush on waup, did he shoot you down? Don't feel bad it isn't you personally he is just already in love with DDD.

I still have a crush on Wuap. And as for the snub, if you can't figure it out then consider it above you.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't see how making the voting public would help things, though.

It would at least allow the nominee to know what is going on. I'm not saying it's the best option, but it's a he11 of a lot more fair.

Coach McGuirk
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been working on my gut. You guys should be scared.

You would have to work on your gut a hell of a long time to catch me or CJ.

falafel
05-20-2010, 10:07 AM
It would at least allow the nominee to know what is going on. I'm not saying it's the best option, but it's a he11 of a lot more fair.

I'm referring to making how each person voted public, not the ultimate results. I want the ability to vote how I choose and not have my vote scrutinized. I realize that you are probably not advocating that.

Surfah
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

What is your interest given you have articulated zero for inclusion?

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm referring to making how each person voted public, not the ultimate results. I want the ability to vote how I choose and not have my vote scrutinized. I realize that you are probably not advocating that.

I'm not. I agree that putting names on every vote would make things worse. It would be very easy to put the election threads in town hall instead of the SE, though. People could apply for entrance once they met certain criteria instead of being forced to helplessly wait until someone on the inside was ready to risk making a nomination.

Another added benefit is that SE members would be more careful about what they write about the nominees. Plus, why waste energy debating over something when you can't get the info. you need from the horse's mouth?

All-American
05-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not. I agree that putting names on every vote would make things worse. It would be very easy to put the election threads in town hall instead of the SE, though. People could apply for entrance once they met certain criteria instead of being forced to helplessly wait until someone on the inside was ready to risk making a nomination.

Another added benefit is that SE members would be more careful about what they write about the nominees. Plus, why waste energy debating over something when you can't get the info. you need from the horse's mouth?

Because then we wouldn't get you upset. It's really out of respect for you, you know.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:22 AM
What is your interest given you have articulated zero for inclusion?

Simple:

1) I'm tired of watching you guys go through this perpetual cycle of CUF destruction. This place is important to me and it's sad to see it so stuck in this rut.

2) I think the SE has the potential to be great. I'd like entrance if it can get over this particular bump in the road.

All-American
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Simple:

1) I'm tired of watching you guys go through this perpetual cycle of CUF destruction. This place is important to me and it's sad to see it so stuck in this rut.

2) I think the SE has the potential to be great. I'd like entrance if it can get over this particular bump in the road.

Yeah, we know.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Because then we wouldn't get you upset. It's really out of respect for you, you know.

You're such a gentleman.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, we know.

once again.......

It's fun to sit on top and watch people squirm isn't it. You wouldn't want to lose your hobby.

beefytee
05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Simple:

You could probably be a better advocate on the inside.

Sounds like a great time to make a pitch. Let's hear it.:)

il Padrino Ute
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Bullshit.

I have him on ignore, so I can't read his posts, but he's made it known that he wants in to the SE several times and my guess would be that this was yet another attempt at begging to get in.

old_gregg
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah, guys the internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
You could probably be a better advocate on the inside.

Maybe.... but I think this info. needs to be available to the newbies. If I move to the inside, I lose my ability to share ideas out here.

Sounds like a great time to make a pitch. Let's hear it.:)

Thanks... how about this as a proposal:

CUF is a minimally moderated community that is open to the public. Approximately 80% of its contents can be freely accessed by anyone. Membership is free. The community values both new and old voices and encourages people with diverse life-experiences and perspectives to post. The remaining approximate 20% of posts are in a private forum called Speakeasy. Speakeasy is not open to webbots, lurkers or new members. Its purpose is to provide long-term members a place to post away from public scrutiny.

Like the public portion of CUF, Speakeasy is minimally moderated. In order to maintain sufficient trust within the Speakeasy community, its members are expected to keep information shared there confidential. Speakeasy election and reelection policies have been put in place to help maintain this trust.

Speakeasy Election Policies:

Those interested in joining Speakeasy must have:

1) held CUF membership for at least 6 months
2) made at least 500 posts
3) earned the trust of at least two thirds of the current Speakeasy community.

Once requirements one and two have been met, a member desiring admittance to Speakeasy may PM Jeff Lebowski, pelagius or creekster and request that a Speakeasy election thread be opened in Town Hall.

The following rules apply:

Only current members of Speakeasy may vote
Votes are anonymous
Electors may not base their decisions on the race, ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs or sports team affiliations of the nominees
Successful nominees must receive two thirds of the total vote
Unsuccessful nominees may request reelections no sooner than ninety days after the closing date of their lost elections

NOTE: Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to participate in their own election threads.

Members of Speakeasy will be expected to agree to and abide by the following rules:

Keep all information shared in Speakeasy confidential
Do not use Speakeasy to discuss other posters – especially those who do not have access to Speakeasy
Do not use Speakeasy to discuss public threads or specific public posts
There will be no additional moderation of the Speakeasy forum. However, disobedience of Speakeasy rules will be an encouraged and appropriate topic of discussion in members’ Speakeasy reelection threads.

Speakeasy Reelection:

Current members of Speakeasy will be accountable for maintaining the trust of the Speakeasy community. Every quarter, one fourth of the members will be up for reelection. Reelections will be held inside the Speakeasy forum. The same rules will apply to reelections as to first-time elections.

Indy Coug
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
LOL

falafel
05-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Rosebud, I like it. Well, most of it. The reelection part seems like too much work.

And also, I like gossiping about you behind your back. :condom:

DU Ute
05-20-2010, 10:48 AM

It sounds like you have some good ideas for your own secret club. Good luck with that.

FN Phat
05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Bullshit.

I have him on ignore, so I can't read his posts, but he's made it known that he wants in to the SE several times and my guess would be that this was yet another attempt at begging to get in.

This is an unfair statement if you truly have him on ignore and didn't read his post.

beefytee
05-20-2010, 10:52 AM

You've sold me. I'm voting yes for you.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Rosebud, I like it. Well, most of it. The reelection part seems like too much work.

And also, I like gossiping about you behind your back. :condom:

Yeah... I agree with you actually. It's just that I think there needs to be some way to hold members accountable. There's too much holding nonmembers to excessively stringent rules while the members get away with almost anything.

I bet we could think up a pretty slick way to make the reelections simple if we could stop fighting and start moving forward.

Rosebud
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
You've sold me. I'm voting yes for you.

Awww shucks......

RobinFinderson
05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
You know, contrary to the beliefs of some, I really hate being at the center of this week's shit storm. The thing I look forward to the most, after/if I am ever able to win the support of 2/3 of the SE membership, is that all of the drama that has taken place over this, in the past and present, can begin to become what it deserves to become -- a distant memory.

Viking
05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Robin,

Shaka,

Are you breaking sacred covenants with the SE by revealing that it is a secret that voting is secret? I'm concerned for your standing in the hallowed halls of the Speak Easy.

Robin: a source tells me the secret password is: A Passe Key

wuapinmon
05-20-2010, 06:55 PM

LOL! Love isn't a strong enough word.

Viking
05-20-2010, 07:10 PM
i had forgotten that a lot of you people actually know each other in real life, as opposed to me (I think only Wuap, Doctorcoug and perhaps JL know who I am)...so i guess i kinda sorta understand that you might want to be able to have more private conversations within the construct of an extant forum. OK. I still think it's pretty lame. And Robin, dear friend, please pull out your best John Galt and try not to care...however, after seeing your Jung personality, I know understand why it IS so important to you (as is the relationship with Waters, who seems to have roamed in my lands for a long time so perhaps i know the guy?)

But so what? (h/t anti-nowhere league)

Shaka
05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Shaka,

Are you breaking sacred covenants with the SE by revealing that it is a secret that voting is secret? I'm concerned for your standing in the hallowed halls of the Speak Easy.

Robin: a source tells me the secret password is: A Passe Key

I knew that was coming.

Viking
05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I knew that was coming.
at least you're taking it the way it was intended: friendly jest.

losers