PDA

View Full Version : Coach(es) leaving?

SCcoug
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Interesting tidbit from Jay Drew's blog

Bronco said he expects at least one assistant coach to leave the program for another job this offseason, and maybe up to three. He would not say whom. He said guys could leave any time between now and the end of spring ball, and it wouldn’t surprise him.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=8752&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

So who are these coaches? Many thought Hill would be gone this off season but the Portland State job came and went. Would Anae go back to Texas Tech if offered the OC there? Reynolds still has sons in the program so I don't see him retiring, perhaps Lamb or Tidwell retire since they have the most years coaching on the staff with 33 and 31 years coaching respectively.
Anyway let the speculation begin.

jay santos
01-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Interesting tidbit from Jay Drew's blog

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=8752&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

So who are these coaches? Many thought Hill would be gone this off season but the Portland State job came and went. Would Anae go back to Texas Tech if offered the OC there? Reynolds still has sons in the program so I don't see him retiring, perhaps Lamb or Tidwell retire since they have the most years coaching on the staff with 33 and 31 years coaching respectively.
Anyway let the speculation begin.

Why does Bronco say he told Kaveinga he wouldn't have a scholarship almost like he's a bad ass teaching a youngster his place in the world? Is this the right way to recruit? Is Bronco really like this with potential recruits or does he just come across that way or brag like he's a hard ass when he's not with the kids?

LiveCoug
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Why does Bronco say he told Kaveinga he wouldn't have a scholarship almost like he's a bad ass teaching a youngster his place in the world? Is this the right way to recruit? Is Bronco really like this with potential recruits or does he just come across that way or brag like he's a hard ass when he's not with the kids?

You want him to tell UK that they have a scholarship for him when they don't??

jay santos
01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
You want him to tell UK that they have a scholarship for him when they don't??

I don't know if I have the wrong impression of Bronco, but I see the way he tells that story like UK comes up to him "coach I'd love to come to BYU" "F*** off, we don't have a schollie." "Coach I really want to. I'll pay my own way." "Well in that case, you've earned the right to come to BYU."

LiveCoug
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't know if I have the wrong impression of Bronco, but I see the way he tells that story like UK comes up to him "coach I'd love to come to BYU" "F*** off, we don't have a schollie." "Coach I really want to. I'll pay my own way." "Well in that case, you've earned the right to come to BYU."

That's funny, I read it like this:

UK: Coach, I would really love to play for BYU
BM: Well, son, we would love for you to play for BYU, we just won't be able to offer you a scholarship right now. If you work hard, you can earn a scholarship in due time.
BM: Thanks Coach. I love you.

TripletDaddy
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM

I hear you, but later in the article, he clearly states that they are currently 3 over, possibly 5 over, so Kav would have to get in line. Sounds legit this time.

What I did find funny was this quote:

He said for him to consider leaving for another school, there has to be a significant reason other than it being just a bigger program that pays more money. He listed the military academies and well-known academic institutions such as Stanford, Vanderbilt and Northwestern as places he might be interest coaching at.

Listen guys, I am not going anywhere. I feel like I should coach here. However, if I were to leave, here is my list of schools:........

creekster
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Listen guys, I am not going anywhere. I feel like I should coach here. However, if I were to leave, here is my list of schools:........

AGreed. Moireover, while his schtick might not be too appealing at Stanford and its ilk, I think he wouold be hugley appealing to an academy. I thought it was an odd thing for him to do too.

jay santos
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Goat's the ultimate defender of this stuff. He thinks he's yanking the chains of the self-righteous fan base. "If I left BYU, I would want to go somewhere where I could continue this sanctimonious bullshit act."

BigPiney
01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
If I were Vandy I would be interested.

Indy Coug
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Why does Bronco say he told Kaveinga he wouldn't have a scholarship almost like he's a bad ass teaching a youngster his place in the world? Is this the right way to recruit? Is Bronco really like this with potential recruits or does he just come across that way or
brag like he's a hard ass when he's not with the kids?

* The coach confirmed that USC transfer Uona Kaveinga has enrolled in classes but is paying his own way. Mendenhall said Kaveinga is one of only two players over the past five years who has said he was going to BYU, then changed his mind. He noted that Kaveinga’s parents were wearing BYU gear when their son signed with USC in 2008. Mendenhall said during a walk around the track during a BYU practice before the Las Vegas Bowl, he told Kaveinga he doesn’t have a scholarship available for him right now, and Kaveinga said, “it doesn’t matter.”

Yeah, you nailed that perfectly. That's exactly what Bronco's attitude is. You're just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. How you come up with all of this bullshit subtext you ascribe to Bronco is completely beyond me.

BYU had already received more commits than they had scholarships and THEN Kaveinga comes along looking to transfer. Bronco did nothing more than make Kaveinga aware that they had no scholarships left to commit to him right now. It's that simple. It's not because Bronco has a bad-ass attitude or because he's exacting revenge on Kaveinga for what he did a few years ago to BYU.

You seriously have issues.

jay santos
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah, you nailed that perfectly. That's exactly what Bronco's attitude is. You're just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. How you come up with all of this bullshit subtext you ascribe to Bronco is completely beyond me.

BYU had already received more commits than they had scholarships and THEN Kaveinga comes along looking to transfer. Bronco did nothing more than make Kaveinga aware that they had no scholarships left to commit to him right now. It's that simple. It's not because Bronco has a bad-ass attitude or because he's exacting revenge on Kaveinga for what he did a few years ago to BYU.

You seriously have issues.

Sure I'm using hyperbole to make a point, but isn't it clear at least the way Bronco's comments were reported that there was some edge to Bronco's communication with Kaveinga?

beelzebabette
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Sure I'm using hyperbole to make a point, but isn't it clear at least the way Bronco's comments were reported that there was some edge to Bronco's communication with Kaveinga?
Isn't it possible you're reading into a brief summary of a conversation that isn't there?

Indy Coug
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Isn't it possible you're reading into a brief summary of a conversation that isn't there?

It's more than possible and Jay does this all the time.

Katy Lied
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I can tell you my family is nervously watching the scholarship count. We know someone who is supposed to be using one next month.

Viking
01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Anae is probably gone.

SoonerCoug
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Anae is probably gone.

To be replaced by Leach.

TheAzzuri
01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Goat's the ultimate defender of this stuff. He thinks he's yanking the chains of the self-righteous fan base. "If I left BYU, I would want to go somewhere where I could continue this sanctimonious bullshit act."

You know your stuff, but your schtick gets old. It's actually fun being a fan sometimes.

statman
01-08-2010, 02:08 AM
We lose Doman, Anae, and Lamb for coaches to be named (and bought and paid for) later by the Heaps family?

jay santos
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Anae is probably gone.

This would be a bummer. I think Anae's done a good job. Do you have any reason to believe Anae is gone or just speculation?

jay santos
01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
You know your stuff, but your schtick gets old. It's actually fun being a fan sometimes.

Being a fan is fun for me, almost always. I use the message board for my place to vent. Sincerely sorry if it hampers your enjoyment as a fan.

Indy Coug
01-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Being a fan is fun for me, almost always. I use the message board for my place to vent. Sincerely sorry if it hampers your enjoyment as a fan.

After the extreme bitching and moaning 2/3rds of the way through this season, I scaled back my sports messageboard involvement (because frankly the messageboards felt a lot like we were in the middle of the 2004 BYU season) and enjoyed the last 1/3rd of the season much more because I didn't see all of the overboard lamentation and idiocy.

Goatnapper'96
01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
This would be a bummer. I think Anae's done a good job. Do you have any reason to believe Anae is gone or just speculation?

I have sensed that Mendenhall felt that the offense the past two years should have been able to execute better against TCU and Utah. It seems that the BYU offense can execute well against athletic teams not familiar with BYU's schemes and tendencies but the Utes and the Frongs were able to neutralize BYU pretty well.

Hill obviously has had his pride hurt. Personally, I like the guy's performance and think he got a bit of a bad rap, but I get the impression that his personality is going to always facilitate his being a coach that moves around a lot.

I have also heard various grumblings about Kaufusi. I am not sure he is aiding capitlizing on the Poly pipeline other than his son, who might be good enough to keep his old man around. :D

My guess would be Anae, Hill or Kaufusi as the top candidates to go. I would assume that at least one replacement would be a poly. I also wouldn't cry myself to sleep on my huuuuuge pilla tonight if Anae left and Brandon Doman became the OC and the new offensive assistant was a certain HC of a Texas HS.

Goatnapper'96
01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
After the extreme bitching and moaning 2/3rds of the way through this season, I scaled back my sports messageboard involvement (because frankly the messageboards felt a lot like we were in the middle of the 2004 BYU season) and enjoyed the last 1/3rd of the season much more because I didn't see all of the overboard lamentation and idiocy.

I enjoy fighting back!

byu71
01-08-2010, 07:56 AM

I wondered myself if the pressure of trying to make sure BYU fans were on the same page as you wouldn't take it's toll. I am glad to see you were able to back away before it really got to you.

Indy Coug
01-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I wondered myself if the pressure of trying to make sure BYU fans were on the same page as you wouldn't take it's toll. I am glad to see you were able to back away before it really got to you.

The bipolarity on this board is a lot less pronounced than on CB or TBS.

jay santos
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I have sensed that Mendenhall felt that the offense the past two years should have been able to execute better against TCU and Utah. It seems that the BYU offense can execute well against athletic teams not familiar with BYU's schemes and tendencies but the Utes and the Frongs were able to neutralize BYU pretty well.

Hill obviously has had his pride hurt. Personally, I like the guy's performance and think he got a bit of a bad rap, but I get the impression that his personality is going to always facilitate his being a coach that moves around a lot.

I have also heard various grumblings about Kaufusi. I am not sure he is aiding capitlizing on the Poly pipeline other than his son, who might be good enough to keep his old man around. :D

My guess would be Anae, Hill or Kaufusi as the top candidates to go. I would assume that at least one replacement would be a poly. I also wouldn't cry myself to sleep on my huuuuuge pilla tonight if Anae left and Brandon Doman became the OC and the new offensive assistant was a certain HC of a Texas HS.

I'm more satisfied with the offensive coaching than the defensive. But if Hill can have the D playing the way the did in the bowl, he's welcome to stay until he retires.

What I look for in assistants is two great X's and O's coordinators and the rest of the staff rounded out with great recruiters that have the respect of recruits and are willing to go on the road a lot and send 1,000 text messages a day. I really don't know which of our assistants fit that bill and which don't.

Goatnapper'96
01-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm more satisfied with the offensive coaching than the defensive. But if Hill can have the D playing the way the did in the bowl, he's welcome to stay until he retires.

What I look for in assistants is two great X's and O's coordinators and the rest of the staff rounded out with great recruiters that have the respect of recruits and are willing to go on the road a lot and send 1,000 text messages a day. I really don't know which of our assistants fit that bill and which don't.

Since Hill has been at BYU, the defense had one bad year in 4. It had one bad defensive game in 06, one bad game in '07 and I thought it only played poorly this past year in against FSU and TCU to some extent.

I think Hill has had an above average tenure as BYU's DC. He did have two years with some fabulous lbs, but I thought the defense did well this year with talent that across the board was about what BYU can usually attract, and I think the LB talent was subpar.

However, I just wonder if he calloused nature will alienate him to players and other coaches in time. He just strikes me as a coach meant to move around a lot.

I like the offensive coaching, and perhaps the issues the past two years against TCU and the Utes was all Max Hall, but BYU has got to be more effective against those two teams as they are going to play them every year.

SoCalCoug
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

I find generally if I have to use hyperbole to make a point, I don't have a very good point.

Portland Ute
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Kaveinga should go to the U. He could start immediately at the U. and he would have a schollie. And he will probably be in a BCS bowl before he graduates.

I.J. Reilly
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Kaveinga should go to the U. He could start immediately at the U. and he would have a schollie. And he will probably be in a BCS bowl before he graduates.

In case you are not being a troll and truly don't know this, Kavienga couldn't go anywhere D1 and start. As a transfer he has to sit out a year.