Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to keep posts new after you log in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to keep posts new after you log in?

Let me first say that I like the vBulletin format of the board and I like the fact that I can conveniently find all the posts that have been produced since I last logged in. The thread structure and "New Posts" feature enable that.

On the other hand, maybe the nice features have made me a little greedy. The biggest deterrent to me posting more is the fact that logging in resets the "New Posts", and when I log off, those posts disappear. More specifically, I have a few minutes here and there where I'll take a look at the board and see an interesting thread where I'd like to quickly respond, but I don't have time to catch up on all the posts I've missed since I last logged in (and I do eventually want to read many of those other threads and posts). So if I log in to quickly respond to something and then log out, I lose the convenience of being able to find what I've missed via the "New Posts" feature.

Is there a way to log in and log out without having the "New Posts" get reset? Maybe a vBulletin add-in? One way to do this would be to always stay logged in, but that doesn't work for me.

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    Let me first say that I like the vBulletin format of the board and I like the fact that I can conveniently find all the posts that have been produced since I last logged in. The thread structure and "New Posts" feature enable that.

On the other hand, maybe the nice features have made me a little greedy. The biggest deterrent to me posting more is the fact that logging in resets the "New Posts", and when I log off, those posts disappear. More specifically, I have a few minutes here and there where I'll take a look at the board and see an interesting thread where I'd like to quickly respond, but I don't have time to catch up on all the posts I've missed since I last logged in (and I do eventually want to read many of those other threads and posts). So if I log in to quickly respond to something and then log out, I lose the convenience of being able to find what I've missed via the "New Posts" feature.

Is there a way to log in and log out without having the "New Posts" get reset? Maybe a vBulletin add-in? One way to do this would be to always stay logged in, but that doesn't work for me.
    Sorry, there is no way to alleviate this problem.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Can't this be solved by not logging out all the time? Why not do one of the following?

1) Stay logged in but minimize that browser window or push the tab to the back.

2) Use the "Remember Me" toggle when you log in so that it automatically logs you in each time you click on the bookmark.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Can't this be solved by not logging out all the time?
        Yes, and I acknowledged that fact already. I was just seeing if there was another option because the perpetual login doesn't work for me. To my detriment, most of the time I use this site is at work, and I shut down my computer every day.

Comment

Is there a way to see which threads you have posted in? Like a check mark by the thread?
          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
            Is there a way to see which threads you have posted in? Like a check mark by the thread?
            Look at the envelope next to the thread. If there's the little arrow that means you've posted in it. Roll over it with the mouse and it will show how many times and the time of the last one.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and there is a key explaining the envelopes.

Red ones are hot threads. Open envelopes mean they contain new posts. Etc.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                In your user preferences, you can automatically subscribe to any thread to which you respond. That will give you the check mark. It also allows you to quickly check any of those threads if you go to Quick Links => Subscribed Threads.

Comment

Working...
                X