top newcomers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top newcomers thread

Assuming the fb recruiting class stays largely intact and no one redshirts, who are you excited about for the immediate for future. Pick one on offense and one defense.
    I'm excited about Apo and what he can do for the other wrs. I think his presence makes jacobsen and chambers better.
    On d I will go with Van Noy. He knows where he ultimately ends up but I think he can make for one helluva an olbacker.

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    Assuming the fb recruiting class stays largely intact and no one redshirts, who are you excited about for the immediate for future. Pick one on offense and one defense.
    I'm excited about Apo and what he can do for the other wrs. I think his presence makes jacobsen and chambers better.
    On d I will go with Van Noy. He knows where he ultimately ends up but I think he can make for one helluva an olbacker.
    Keoshian. I have this crazy feeling he's going to be a star.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Keoshian. I have this crazy feeling he's going to be a star.
      Armenian players at BYU tend to do pretty well.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Is this thread limited to BYU newcomers?

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
          Is this thread limited to BYU newcomers?
          Yes.

Comment

Has to be Heaps. I don't care about the hand-wringing in Ute nation, if this kid excels right away than BYU's hiccup this year might be a 2nd place finish again. Right behind that for me has to be Van Noy. The kid has had one year to get bigger and faster and should come in well prepared.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Heaps
              Van Noy

In 2011, Pendleton and Van Noy will be the best pair of outside linebackers BYU's ever had.
              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                Armenian players at BYU tend to do pretty well.
                Sarkisian's dance he did following KO's touchdown grab really brought home the need to recruit Armenia. No one pulls the string like that guy.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                  Heaps
                  Van Noy

In 2011, Pendleton and Van Noy will be the best pair of outside linebackers BYU's ever had.
                  I doubt they are better than Kehl and Nixon. Especially when Nixon was fully healthy. Those two could play.

However, they will still be nipple hardening good, and that my friends ain't all bad!
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

With 8 returning starters on offense I think the guys playing the positions not returning starters are the most likely to have an impact. I think it is likely to be either Heaps, Quezada or Malosi Teo or maybe Richard Wilson. I think Apo has some moments next year but I think his impact as a freshman, at the high point, will be more reminiscent of McKay Jacobsen than Austin Collie and perhaps more similar to Oneil Chambers than McKay Jacobsen. We shall see but with two returning starters, two experienced back ups and a kid coming off a redshirt year his chances to contribute will be limited unless his talent level is that much better. I think he will be good in time but I am skeptical he has the talent neccesary that demands playing time over all that experience. These returning receivers are not exactly slouches!

If Unga returns I think Heaps' chances go up. If there is no Unga I think Riley Nelson's running skills look more attractive.

On defense obviously the most likely are Van Noy or Stout IMO. Linebacker has some holes to be filled and the most athletic linebackers, other than JP, are coming home from missions. I doubt Keoishian can make the jump from 8 man high school to 11 man college, but I think Stout should be able to. Van Noy might be similar to Pendleton last year in that he is just that much more physically capable than anyone else that it just makes sense to throw the kid out there and let him cut his teethe. If BYU relands Jamora I would think he would have a huge shot to start as a true freshman at DE, but I am skeptical if any of the other true freshman DEs are physically ready for this level this soon.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      With 8 returning starters on offense I think the guys playing the positions not returning starters are the most likely to have an impact. I think it is likely to be either Heaps, Quezada or Malosi Teo or maybe Richard Wilson. I think Apo has some moments next year but I think his impact as a freshman, at the high point, will be more reminiscent of McKay Jacobsen than Austin Collie and perhaps more similar to Oneil Chambers than McKay Jacobsen. We shall see but with two returning starters, two experienced back ups and a kid coming off a redshirt year his chances to contribute will be limited unless his talent level is that much better. I think he will be good in time but I am skeptical he has the talent neccesary that demands playing time over all that experience. These returning receivers are not exactly slouches!

If Unga returns I think Heaps' chances go up. If there is no Unga I think Riley Nelson's running skills look more attractive.

On defense obviously the most likely are Van Noy or Stout IMO. Linebacker has some holes to be filled and the most athletic linebackers, other than JP, are coming home from missions. I doubt Keoishian can make the jump from 8 man high school to 11 man college, but I think Stout should be able to. Van Noy might be similar to Pendleton last year in that he is just that much more physically capable than anyone else that it just makes sense to throw the kid out there and let him cut his teethe. If BYU relands Jamora I would think he would have a huge shot to start as a true freshman at DE, but I am skeptical if any of the other true freshman DEs are physically ready for this level this soon.

One of Unga's relatives said that since he hasn't found a wife yet, he will be back next year to graduate and hopefully find a wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                        One of Unga's relatives said that since he hasn't found a wife yet, he will be back next year to graduate and hopefully find a wife.
                        I really hope that doesn't figure high in his decision-making, but if it does and he does stay, then I can live with that.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                          That is what I would advise, should he choose to solicit my opinion. Trust me Harvey, Goat has your best interests at heart!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                          X