Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Johnson's hit was legal.

[youtube]mxYBnqkwcOc[/youtube]

Right on the shoulder pad. Notice how none of the Oregon State players protest after the play, or how none of the BYU players or coaches actually talk to any of the Oregon State players.

Crap call. All there is to it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Originally posted by All-American View Post
    how none of the BYU players or coaches actually talk to any of the Oregon State players.
    #83 wearing one of those tan and blue coats does get right in the OSU guys face when he is on the ground.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

The announcers had it right when it happened. He didn't go helmet to helmet, but when you launch yourself at a receiver like that you invite that call. Notice that two flags came in immediately. Rerun that play 100 times with 200 different officials and you get two flying flags 99% of the time. I have seen the same call made in many, many games this year where the replay showed no helmet to helmet. They have just been instructed to call it that way. Your problem is with the way that rule is being enforced because it certainly is not unique to this game or this play.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        #83 wearing one of those tan and blue coats does get right in the OSU guys face when he is on the ground.
        Yeah, classy bench reaction up by 24 with 5 minutes to go in the game. Lots of pent up frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Okay, I missed him. Withdrawn.

Still, legal hit.

(I love how the announcers say that the hit appears to be "totally unnecessary". He has the ball in his hands at the time of the hit!)

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            The announcers had it right when it happened. He didn't go helmet to helmet, but when you launch yourself at a receiver like that you invite that call. Notice that two flags came in immediately. Rerun that play 100 times with 200 different officials and you get two flying flags 99% of the time. I have seen the same call made in many, many games this year where the replay showed no helmet to helmet. They have just been instructed to call it that way. Your problem is with the way that rule is being enforced because it certainly is not unique to this game or this play.
            So he didn't do anything illegal, but gosh, it sure kinda looked like he did . . .

Bogus call.

(He even led with his arms!)
            Last edited by All-American; 12-25-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Ooh, something else I just noticed. Check out Brian Logan picking up the hat and looking to give it back to the ref. Heh.

Comment

Okay, I missed him. Withdrawn.

Still, legal hit.

(I love how the announcers say that the hit appears to be "totally unnecessary". He has the ball in his hands at the time of the hit!)
                Nice you are already talking lawyerly. Good work.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

So he didn't do anything illegal, but gosh, it sure kinda looked like he did . . .

Bogus call.
                  Like I said, your problem is with how they are implementing it. Just like any other judgment call, if you do something that looks like the foul you are going to get called for the foul. Common sense. Or maybe it is part of the ongoing secret combination which has been working for decades to job the Cougars. Could be that.

Comment

Like I said, your problem is with how they are implementing it. Just like any other judgment call, if you do something that looks like the foul you are going to get called for the foul. Common sense. Or maybe it is part of the ongoing secret combination which has been working for decades to job the Cougars. Could be that.
                    Yes, my problem is how they are implementing the rules. Their implementation includes penalizing legal play. I am opposed to penalizing players who don't break the rules. He didn't break the rules, ergo, he shouldn't have been penalized.

So if penalizing legal play is part of their implementation of the rules, then sure, I don't like how they are implementing the rules.

Comment

I agree with UD, launching into a receiver opens you up to that call. Even if they don't throw it for helmet to helmet they could throw a flag for the bench standing over the receiver on the ground after the hit. Luckily Harvey gets over there and pulls players back.

Comment

Yes, my problem is how they are implementing the rules. Their implementation includes penalizing legal play. I am opposed to penalizing players who don't break the rules. He didn't break the rules, ergo, he shouldn't have been penalized.

So if penalizing legal play is part of their implementation of the rules, then sure, I don't like how they are implementing the rules.
                        It's like any good basketball coach tells his players: You need to avoid fouling or the appearance of fouling. If you hack down at a guy's arms you will get called for a foul even if you happen to get all ball.

If you launch yourself headfirst into a receiver who can't defend himself, you will draw a flag even if your helmet happens to miss the receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          It's like any good basketball coach tells his players: You need to avoid fouling or the appearance of fouling. If you hack down at a guy's arms you will get called for a foul even if you happen to get all ball.

If you launch yourself headfirst into a receiver who can't defend himself, you will draw a flag even if your helmet happens to miss the receiver.
                          Someone needs to use this video in church for an object lesson on avoiding the appearance of evil.
                          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

The solution is obvious. Make it a reviewable call.

Comment

The solution is obvious. Make it a reviewable call.
                              Please no. Less reviews, or ideally none, not more.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X