Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there ever be a BYU starting QB that is good enough for the fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there ever be a BYU starting QB that is good enough for the fans?

With the discussion about Hall, what he has accomplished, etc. it got me to thinking. Same thing with Beck. Who was the last QB that was beloved by the fanbase AT THE TIME they were playing? Doman? Not really. Detmer? Probably. But then that was pre-internet message boards.

I remember when LaVell said at some point towards the end of his career that Steve Young (this was when he was in the league) coudl suit up with a different number and the fans wouldn't be satisfied. And with the information available and forums for pontification, that has just gotten worse.

Will we ever be satisfied?
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
    With the discussion about Hall, what he has accomplished, etc. it got me to thinking. Same thing with Beck. Who was the last QB that was beloved by the fanbase AT THE TIME they were playing? Doman? Not really. Detmer? Probably. But then that was pre-internet message boards.

I remember when LaVell said at some point towards the end of his career that Steve Young (this was when he was in the league) coudl suit up with a different number and the fans wouldn't be satisfied. And with the information available and forums for pontification, that has just gotten worse.

Let's face it. Max Hall is a 5-cow QB and we're looking for something more along the lines of 15 cows.

Comment

I think it's safe to say that Heaps will be everything that the BYU fan wants and expects and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        I think it's safe to say that Heaps will be everything that the BYU fan wants and expects and beyond.
        Signed,

Ben Olson
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

It's clear that the answer is "no".
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

This kind of stuff really gets old. You're the one bringing it up. You're the one belaboring the point. Hall is good enough for the fans. There are differences in opinions with fans. That's OK. Some think Hall's a top 4 BYU QB. Some think he's a more like #10. Does that mean some fans don't think he's good enough or that they think he sucks? No. Get over it. It's so obnoxious after a big win and a senior QB's last game for some fans to sit there yelling and screaming about how some other fans don't love the QB as much as they should. We're all happy today.

Comment

I think your premise is wrong. I think the fans are quite happy with Hall and were quite happy with Beck.

Comment

It not only the QB it's everybody on the team. Most of these guys that complain are one's that spent their entire high school career in the band room and their first exposure to any football is BYU football.

Comment

It not only the QB it's everybody on the team. Most of these guys that complain are one's that spent their entire high school career in the band room and their first exposure to any football is BYU football.
                  Is that really fair? It's the black and white thinking we have to get away from. Did only band geeks complain about Hall after the Utah game last year? Why can't a fan complain when things go wrong and applaud when things go well? I don't think Hall has been maligned by the BYU fan base by any stretch.

Comment

I think that it depends on what is complained about.

For instance, disagreeing on going for it on fourth down vs kicking a field goal can be an honest disgreement that doesn't mean one is a complainer or an eneducated fan.

On the other hand, someone clamoring for Nelson to replace Hall is probably someone who knows more about the band than football.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Is that really fair? It's the black and white thinking we have to get away from. Did only band geeks complain about Hall after the Utah game last year? Why can't a fan complain when things go wrong and applaud when things go well? I don't think Hall has been maligned by the BYU fan base by any stretch.
                      Maybe I did stereotype a little but most fans have no idea how hard it is to hit a WR running down the sideline at full speed in stride or cover that WR running down the sideline. I think a fan can bitch about effort or decision making like 71 said but these guys are very good at what they do.

Comment

Maybe I did stereotype a little but most fans have no idea how hard it is to hit a WR running down the sideline at full speed in stride or cover that WR running down the sideline. I think a fan can bitch about effort or decision making like 71 said but these guys are very good at what they do.
                        I rarely bitch about players. Not even about effort, because I have never played at that level and I really can't tell if a guy is giving effort or not.

The other reason I rarely bitch is because I am pretty sure they are the best players we have.

Comment

This is NOT subject only to BYU.. All teams have their crazy fans...

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            Signed,

Ben Olson
                            Ah, but Heaps has learned from Ben's fatal mistake: he's not going on a mission.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                              This is NOT subject only to BYU.. All teams have their crazy fans...
                              I wonder if other schools have as many fans that seem to want to criticize other fans. I wonder if that isn't something that is an outgrowth of our culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X