BYU beat 3 ranked teams this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU beat 3 ranked teams this year

The only other time in BYU history where they have beaten 3 ranked teams in one season (ranked as of the time the game was played) was in 1996 (Texas A&M, Wyoming, Kansas State).
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    The only other time in BYU history where they have beaten 3 ranked teams in one season (ranked as of the time the game was played) was in 1996 (Texas A&M, Wyoming, Kansas State).
    Do you put the 2009 team on par with the 96 team, Indy?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Do you put the 2009 team on par with the 96 team, Indy?
      No.

Comment

One unexplainable slip up this year, FSU. As I continued to watch TCU play, I stopped feeling bad about that loss. TCU is a hell of a team.

This was a very good year. I don't know if it compares to the '96 team, but still a heck of a year.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          One unexplainable slip up this year, FSU. As I continued to watch TCU play, I stopped feeling bad about that loss. TCU is a hell of a team.

This was a very good year. I don't know if it compares to the '96 team, but still a heck of a year.
          I find myself playing "what if" on the FSU game. Agree with you on TCU. The question is whether or not the FSU game was a wake-up call that made the rest of the season or not.

But you have to wonder if we had beaten FSU. Who goes to the BCS, us or BSU?
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Oklahoma doesn't count as a victory over a ranked team in my book. It's how they END that's important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              Oklahoma doesn't count as a victory over a ranked team in my book. It's how they END that's important to me.
              I concur. Preseason rankings are meaningless.

Comment

How many other teams can say that they did that this year?

TCU, Texas, Alabama, Oregon, Georgia Tech?
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

Is it really that unexplainable? BYU turned over the ball five times. Chambers fumbled the ball inside the red zone and Hall threw a pick 6. Those two turnovers alone probably represented a 14 point swing (47-35 final score instead). The other three turnovers played a big part in the balance of the spread of the final score.

FSU was moving the ball at will against BYU, but BYU was moving the ball at will against FSU when it wasn't turning the ball over. FSU outgained BYU by less than 40 yards. My feeling is that without the turnovers in the first half, BYU's offense would have worn down the FSU defense and would have given the BYU defense more rest. BYU would have started prevailing by the end of the 3rd quarter. It's simply inexplicable that BYU could beat the hell out of Oregon State and beat Utah and lose by 26 points to a team like FSU without turnovers playing the role that they did.

This was the maddening thing about Hall. BYU simply doesn't get blown out the four times it did in the past couple seasons without the turnovers. But the risk taking also allowed Hall to come up big in close games. The fact remains that Hall went 10-0 in games decided by 7 points or less.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

BYU gave up scores on the first 7 or 8 Florida State drives. Our offense wasn't going to score on our first 7 or 8 drives, turnovers or not.

Comment

I disagree. Does anyone really believe that OU was a bad team when we played them? They had all those players returning and one of the top defenses in the country. Sure, Bradford went out and they lost their great TE, so they probably shouldn't have been #3, but you have to consider them a top 15 team at that point, no question.

And as for how they finished, that was a team that was decimated by injuries. They weren't nearly as injured when BYU played them. I think they kind of gave up on the season as the injuries piled up. Who's to say that if they beat BYU in the opening game they don't go on to win 10 games?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        I disagree. Does anyone really believe that OU was a bad team when we played them? They had all those players returning and one of the top defenses in the country. Sure, Bradford went out and they lost their great TE, so they probably shouldn't have been #3, but you have to consider them a top 15 team at that point, no question.

And as for how they finished, that was a team that was decimated by injuries. They weren't nearly as injured when BYU played them. I think they kind of gave up on the season as the injuries piled up. Who's to say that if they beat BYU in the opening game they don't go on to win 10 games?
                        I never said anything about them being "bad". It was a good win, but they are no longer a ranked team and that's what matters in my opinion.

Comment

I never said anything about them being "bad". It was a good win, but they are no longer a ranked team and that's what matters in my opinion.
                          I knew I'd get called out for using the word "bad."

Either way, I don't really see why it matters how a teams is playing at the end of the year if you played them at the beginning of the year. There are lots of teams that go through major transformations as the season progresses, both positive and negative. The team at the beginning of the year could be completely different than the team the finishes the year.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BYU gave up scores on the first 7 or 8 Florida State drives. Our offense wasn't going to score on our first 7 or 8 drives, turnovers or not.
                            The Defense lost that game no doubt. And really it was all about the line. The FSU O-line owned our D-line all game long.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Working...
                            X