Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church hiring freeze

http://www.rexburgstandardjournal.co...07/news/39.txt

I wondered when this would go public ... My understanding is that it when into effect about 20 days ago.

I was a bit sorry to see that BYU was frozen this year (a lot of other universities are in the deep freeze as well) ... Its a buyers market this year given the problems with endowments and state budgets. If BYU could have stayed unfrozen and hired I think they could have hired some talented faculty that in most years they would have missed out on. Its too bad but understandable.
    Last edited by pelagius; 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM.

I tend to think that if a Latter-day Saint professor has a job offer to teach at BYU then they're obligated to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      I tend to think that if a Latter-day Saint professor has a job offer to teach at BYU then they're obligated to accept.
      I tend to agree and I am still miffed at the person your clearly referring to: it was a slap in the face to his ancestors that froze and nearly died so he could someday help BYU be a light on a hill.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Um, I have this friend who is a professor and he's active temple-recommended LDS and all that, and he thinks, him not me, that teaching at BYU would put a serious damper on his academic freedom. He has been back-channel invited to apply for jobs there twice in two years and both times has declined. Also, he thinks, after a little research, that the salary wouldn't be sufficient for him to work and have his wife stay home with his three children (she told me that it's her choice; she has a masters in market research/sociology), what with the exorbitant housing prices in Utah County compared to where he lives.

My, um, friend thinks that BYU is a good fit for some LDS professors, but he doesn't like the fact that he could lose his job should he ever make a mistake and lose his temple recommend (he doesn't mean leaving it in his dressing room locker). He has also told me many times that the Church is overstaffed there and that when he went to school there his ward had two elders quorums, which is just unfathomable where he lives. He tells me he likes making a difference at Church and that he feels that moving back to Utah would be a mis-allocation of his family's talents. However, he does say that he prays about each offer that he's gotten and always will, and if the Lord wants him to teach at BYU, he won't go against the Lord's wishes.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
        X