X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Hall deconstructed

Originally posted by MikeWaters View Post
    How many BYU quarterbacks had:

1. The best receiver ever in the history of BYU: Austin Collie.
    2. The most prolific receiver in the h/o BYU (receptions): Pitta.
    3. The 2nd best runner in the h/o BYU (arguably the best), and 1st all-time in rushing yards: Unga.

Max Hall never put his personal stamp on this "Max Hall era." He was frequently on the cusp of greatness, with talk of the Heisman, talk of an undefeated season, but it quickly disappeared. The guy was the anti-Detmer. Loud, emotional, runs his mouth. He was the prima donna princess, for heaven's sake, the transfer from ASU should have been the first clue. He was not liked all that much because he was simply not terribly likeable.

It's only fitting this his career at LES ended with a crude diatribe, that took away from his teammates efforts, that resulted in a printed apology. That's Max Hall for you.
    Discuss.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

What's so great about Mike Waters' opinion? Nothing to see here.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      What's so great about Mike Waters' opinion? Nothing to see here.
      Who cares who said it. It seems right on to me.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        Who cares who said it. It seems right on to me.
        Not that you care, of course.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Not that you care, of course.
          I WAS thinking: who, pray tell, threw all those passes to Collie and Pitta? I always try to be fair.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Discuss.
            I can't help but think that this smells a tad unethical. This was Waters' question, and he posed it for his audience, on his web site. Is it right to import it wholesale onto a look-alike forum for discussion? Shouldn't we either go to his site to discuss his question, or else think up our own questions?

I'm not sayin', I'm just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I can't help but think that this smells a tad unethical. This was Waters' question, and he posed it for his audience, on his web site. Is it right to import it wholesale onto a look-alike forum for discussion? Shouldn't we either go to his site to discuss his question, or else think up our own questions?

On the contrary, The Dude should create a Mike Waters Bot that find his posts and put them in the appropriate forum. An algorithm then must be created to respond appropriately for MW, based on who responded, which smiley was used. This data can all be gathered from his past posts. A surrogate Robot MW is better than no MW!

Comment

Interesting to note, Hall had the best season of his career without "The best receiver in the history of BYU".

In the first two games of this season - both without Unga (and Collie for that matter) - Hall went a combined 50-70 for 638 yards with 4 TDs and a 2-0 record.

But there is no question that without the 2nd best runner in the history of BYU (arguably the best) and the best receiver in the history of BYU, Max Hall would have crashed and burned.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Well I may be naive, but it seemed to me like Hall had great accuracy on his passes most of the time. Could it be that Collie and Pitta also benefited from from having a good QB during their college careers? I.e., one of the reasons that their stats are so great is because Max was pretty good at delivering the ball?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Discuss.
                    I've never seen someone more obsessed with another team's QB.

Check that. Babs obsession with Tebow might surpass this.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      I've never seen someone more obsessed with another team's QB.

Check that. Babs obsession with Tebow might surpass this.
                      Hey as long as it keeps SU posting his insights in The Stadium, I'm all for it.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                        Hey as long as it keeps SU posting his insights in The Stadium, I'm all for it.
                        Insights? That's a new euphemism I'm not familiar with.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post

Fair use. So no copyright infringement. Beyond that, it's no more unethical than bringing over a quote from a blog or a NY Times columnist.

CG is the MikeWaters blog. It's a public forum. He writes provocative stuff, and he writes well. I've told him CG now reminds me of that old saying about the tree in the forest hit by lightning that nobody is there to hear. What good are his insights if nobody reads them? Maybe like Van Vogh he has an eery assurance of immortality despite few contemporary admirers. In any event, he knows I do this and I'm sure he's flattered.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Fair use. So no copyright infringement. Beyond that, it's no more unethical than bringing over a quote from a blog or a NY Times columnist.

CG is the MikeWaters blog. It's a public forum. He writes provocative stuff, and he writes well. I've told him CG now reminds me of that old saying about the tree in the forest hit by lightning that nobody is there to hear. What good are his insights if nobody reads them? Maybe like Van Vogh he has an eery assurance of immortality despite few contemporary admirers. In any event, he knows I do this and I'm sure he's flattered.
                            Bingo. The only thing unethical or illegal about this thread is how easy it was to poke ginormous holes in his lame argument.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Discuss.
                              Thanks for posting that Waters' quote, so abundant of rich irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X