BYU has more Hindus than Protestants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU has more Hindus than Protestants.

BYU has more Hindus than Protestants. Amazing.

http://yfacts.byu.edu/viewarticle.aspx?id=97

64 Hindus. 55 Protestants. And 166 people don't identify themselves with any religion.

And I'm disturbed that they're still calling RLDS the RLDS instead of Community of Christers.
    Last edited by SoonerCoug; 01-06-2009, 10:39 PM.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Embarrassing. Too bad BYU will never aim to drop the percentage of LDS students at least down into the 80-90% range. It would make BYU a better school.

Comment

I don't think it is the overwhelming number of LDS students that hurts the school as much as it is their requirement that the faculty be LDS. That and their inability or unwillingness to compete in terms of salary. My understanding is they have been having a hard time filling positions lately.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
        I don't think it is the overwhelming number of LDS students that hurts the school as much as it is their requirement that the faculty be LDS. That and their inability or unwillingness to compete in terms of salary. My understanding is they have been having a hard time filling positions lately.
        What does "preferred LDS" mean in other religions (includes Bahai, Jewish..) part?

Comment

Originally posted by MindfulCoug View Post
          What does "preferred LDS" mean in other religions (includes Bahai, Jewish..) part?
          No clue. I was wondering that myself.
          What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
          -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Maybe this doesn't mean anything, but the drop off in non-LDS started about the same time Bronco took over as FB coach. Maybe the football program isn't the only area the BYU administration decided to narrow the net. I don't know how Rose and the basketball program has been able to avoid the trend.

It could also be that more and more non-LDS folks are succumbing to the PR work of the religious right and see us as outside of Christianity.

I am bias I know, but I really think that athletics is about the only PR program we have that could show we aren't "religious isolationists."

Comment

Originally posted by MindfulCoug View Post
              It means you're guaranteed a spot on the team but you don't receive a scholarship.
              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
              And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                It means you're guaranteed a spot on the team but you don't receive a scholarship.
                Thank you.

Comment

My wife was friends with a bunch of Nepalase Hindus while at the BY. They were really good guys.

It was funny to see them head out to McDonalds and grab a hamburger every so often.

One thing I have never understood is the Caste System. One of the guys, that was better friends with my wife, had a girlfiend from a different Caste and though they really like each other, he said it would never work out because his family would never allow him to marry somone from a lower Caste. It wasn't like the guy had any plans on returning to Nepal so I couldn't see the real issue. But he was all hung up on it.

Comment

Hindus don't think we are devil worshipers that eat babies.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Maybe this doesn't mean anything, but the drop off in non-LDS started about the same time Bronco took over as FB coach. Maybe the football program isn't the only area the BYU administration decided to narrow the net. I don't know how Rose and the basketball program has been able to avoid the trend.

It could also be that more and more non-LDS folks are succumbing to the PR work of the religious right and see us as outside of Christianity.

I am bias I know, but I really think that athletics is about the only PR program we have that could show we aren't "religious isolationists."
                      It could very well be not because of a trend inspired by Bronco, but directly by sports recruiting. You have around 500 non-LDS students; how many of them are athletes? If football and a couple of other sports start recruiting a lot more LDS kids, it could be the entire difference between the high and low numbers.

I assume this includes Graduate students? In my limited experience, grad programs have a higher percentage of non-LDS. If you take away scholarship athletes, how many Undergrad students are LDS? It has to be over 99%.

Comment

Actually, its more like they verbally committed but haven't scored high enough on the SAT yet:

"LDS preferred" refers to someone who is not baptized yet, but wants to be. For example, if someone is 17, parents won't let them be baptized but they're going to church, living the standards etc., they would make that their selection. Essentially, that "LDS is their preferred religion".

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                          Actually, its more like they verbally committed but haven't scored high enough on the SAT yet:
                          A partial qualifier then. Very Boise State Broncos of you folks.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

A partial qualifier then. Very Boise State Broncos of you folks.
                            You think you've won, but you haven't.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              You think you've won, but you haven't.
                              LOL!!!!

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

Working...
                              X