X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Bio

Just finished "His Excellency - George Washington" by Joseph Ellis:

http://www.amazon.com/His-Excellency...1284772&sr=8-2

This is an excellent bio and I would recommend it to anyone. In the preface, the author says that Washington seems to be frozen in marble while the other founding fathers are more flesh and blood. His goal was to try to illustrate the human side of Washington and make him more accessible. I think he succeeded admirably.

For a bio, it is fairly short book. But I didn't really feel short-changed. The author has a nice writing style and did a decent job exploring Washington's motivations and strategies. He comes off as an ambitious person with a large ego, stubborn at times; yet incredibly gifted as a leader and blessed with excellent judgment.

Once again, Jefferson doesn't look so great in this bio. Comes across as a brilliant mind, but badly misguided regarding the French revolution and a political back-stabber. This same author has written a bio on Jefferson that landpoke recommended. That book is on my list now.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Working...
X