X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 to push for 12th team?

Barry Alvarez says they will:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4735336

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

A 12th team would allow the Big Ten to split into divisions and hold a conference championship game. The Big Ten typically ends its football season two weeks before the other BCS conferences, though an addition of a permanent bye week in 2010 will shrink the gap by a week.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.

I'm sure ND is the first choice but assuming they aren't interested, are we in danger of losing TCU?
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM.

Not sure why I limited that to TCU. Are we in danger of losing Utah? Any chance BYU would be a good fit?

Comment

I hope they can convince Chicago to join back in.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        Barry Alvarez says they will:
        http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4735336

I'm sure ND is the first choice but assuming they aren't interested, are we in danger of losing TCU?
        \
        Would they want a team with little fansbase, bad tv ratings, and bad attendance?

Comment

Who would they most likely go after? Again, I'd assume ND is not interested. Would they go East and woo a school like Syracuse? Maybe UConn? Do they look in the Big 12 and try to tempt someone to leave? Missouri maybe? It could be interesting to see the shifts they might cause.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Not sure why I limited that to TCU. Are we in danger of losing Utah? Any chance BYU would be a good fit?
            I don't think Utah or BYU is a possibility for the Big10.

They will make yet another push for ND. If that doesn't work, look for them to poach a school from the Big East such as Pitt or West Virginia. If Pitt says no, then maybe Cincy.

If not that, then maybe they go the Big East route of manufacturing a 12th program ala USF or Connecticut both of which did not play DI football until this decade.

If that happens, nothing will happen in the West.

I think the only way the "dominoes" fall to the West if if Iowa State or Missouri joins the Big Televen, then the Big12 goes hunting.

I've heard BYU to the Big 12, so I guess this probably affects BYU, potentially, more than it affect Utah.

I guess Utah might be affected if the Big 10 moves to 12 and the PAC10 feels pressure to do the same. However, Maybe the PAC10 just manufactures programs like the Big East did.

I just have very little confidence that any of this every really helps Utah.
            Last edited by Portland Ute; 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The Big Ten will only consider schools that are a good match athletically and Academically. Every one of the BTen schools are major research institutions and they take pride in the fact that all of the schools in their conference are similar in that way. I've heard academics talk about "Big Ten money" and it had nothing to do with athletics.

Mark my words, when they do add a twelfth school they'll add a school that will match them both athletically and academically. I think that school will likely be Pitt, Cincy would be a stretch and Notre Dame is their wildest fantasy.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                I hope they can convince Chicago to join back in.
                Is it true that Chicago has the right to get back into the B10 if they start competing in D1 sports again?

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                Mark my words, when they do add a twelfth school they'll add a school that will match them both athletically and academically.
                From what SU always says it would seem that Utah would be their first choice.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  The Big Ten will only consider schools that are a good match athletically and Academically. Every one of the BTen schools are major research institutions and they take pride in the fact that all of the schools in their conference are similar in that way. I've heard academics talk about "Big Ten money" and it had nothing to do with athletics.

Mark my words, when they do add a twelfth school they'll add a school that will match them both athletically and academically. I think that school will likely be Pitt, Cincy would be a stretch and Notre Dame is their wildest fantasy.
                  Pitt leaving would make the Big East much weaker. It'd get even tougher to hold on to that BCS status.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Is it true that Chicago has the right to get back into the B10 if they start competing in D1 sports again?

From what SU always says it would seem that Utah would be their first choice.
                    iirc, Chicago holds the actual rights over the spot that Michigan State occupies.

Originally posted by pellegrino

Maybe they can get Carnegie Mellon to cobble together a football team. It would be great!

Sick 'em, Tartans!

Comment

I would guess Rutgers. But Pitt would work too.

Joining the Big 11 has been tough for Penn State football, but good for all of the other sports programs.
                      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

the order of teams for big 10 go like this

Notre Dame
                        Missouri
                        Pitt

There are no other schools that the big 10 wants.
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          the order of teams for big 10 go like this

Notre Dame
                          Missouri
                          Pitt

There are no other schools that the big 10 wants.
                          Mizzou is the only team that would possibly impact BYU or Utah. If it's ND or Pitt, I don't know about the repercussions out west. Maybe the PAC will jump to 12, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                            iirc, Chicago holds the actual rights over the spot that Michigan State occupies.

Maybe they can get Carnegie Mellon to cobble together a football team. It would be great!

Sick 'em, Tartans!
                            Now there's a dark horse candidate if I ever did see one.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                              I would guess Rutgers. But Pitt would work too.

Joining the Big 11 has been tough for Penn State football, but good for all of the other sports programs.
                              I agree. Rutgers gives the Big 10 the NYC market. Without looking at the rankings, Rutgers also seem to fit in well with the other Big 10 schools.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X