Would a playoff really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a playoff really work?

One thought I had this morning as I drove to work.....

UOhio started a thread and asked why basically the majority of the Utes on the board did not make it to the SUGAR BOWL. Everyone seemed to have legit excuses. Many of them were ties to finances, which is totally understandable.

If we were in a playoff regime, wouldn't it stand to reason that as the round progressed, it would be harder and harder to fill the stadium, not vice versa? So for example, if the U was now off to Round 2, to be played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, how many people could afford to go back to back across the country? Especially with Christmas, poor economy, etc.?

Obviously I am not asking for a literal count of how many here could afford it, but rather as a hypo.

Can most fan bases absorb 3 or 4 cross-country trips in a 4-8 week period, plus hotel, tickets, etc.? I would say that it would be tough to do that.

I guess the first rounds could be home games for the higher ranked team, but some fanbases would still have to travel.

Also, while some here may say, "hey, if the U made it that far, I would go, no matter what," but based on the straw poll for the SUGAR BOWL, I don't really believe that.

What are your thoughts? Keep in mind, I use Utah only as an example. My questions would apply to all fanbases.

One advantage the "national" schools have is that there are Irish and Buckeye fans all over the country. Not quite so many for the regional and local schools.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    One thought I had this morning as I drove to work.....

UOhio started a thread and asked why basically the majority of the Utes on the board did not make it to the SUGAR BOWL. Everyone seemed to have legit excuses. Many of them were ties to finances, which is totally understandable.

If we were in a playoff regime, wouldn't it stand to reason that as the round progressed, it would be harder and harder to fill the stadium, not vice versa? So for example, if the U was now off to Round 2, to be played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, how many people could afford to go back to back across the country? Especially with Christmas, poor economy, etc.?

Obviously I am not asking for a literal count of how many here could afford it, but rather as a hypo.

Can most fan bases absorb 3 or 4 cross-country trips in a 4-8 week period, plus hotel, tickets, etc.? I would say that it would be tough to do that.

I guess the first rounds could be home games for the higher ranked team, but some fanbases would still have to travel.

Also, while some here may say, "hey, if the U made it that far, I would go, no matter what," but based on the straw poll for the SUGAR BOWL, I don't really believe that.

What are your thoughts? Keep in mind, I use Utah only as an example. My questions would apply to all fanbases.

One advantage the "national" schools have is that there are Irish and Buckeye fans all over the country. Not quite so many for the regional and local schools.
    Play the first two rounds as the home of the higher seed or always have regional match ups for the first two rounds.

SEC always plays ACC in Atlanta

Big 12 always plays Conf USA or Mac in Dallas

Pac 10 always plays MWC in San Diego or Vegas

Big 10+1 always plays MAC or Big Least in Detroit or Indianapolis
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      Play the first two rounds as the home of the higher seed or always have regional match ups for the first two rounds.

SEC always plays ACC in Atlanta

Big 12 always plays Conf USA or Mac in Dallas

Pac 10 always plays MWC in San Diego or Vegas

Big 10+1 always plays MAC or Big Least in Detroit or Indianapolis
      This doesn't really answer the question at all, though.

This year, the U would have started on the road, maybe against Oklahoma. Since all the higher seeds are winning, the U's next opponent would be another road game. The championship game would then be in Miami at the Orange Bowl.

How many fans are in a position to make all those consecutive trips?

Conversely, are you suggesting that the U make two consecutive trips to San Diego for the first 2 rounds? That is not a good idea, either. In fact, a really bad idea, I would guess.

Truthfully, it seems like it would be very difficult to execute a 16-team playoff. Many fans would be priced out if their team advanced even one round. And forget about students going to games. they have no money whatsoever.

sigpic

Comment

This year, the U would have started on the road, maybe against Oklahoma. Since all the higher seeds are winning, the U's next opponent would be another road game. The championship game would then be in Miami at the Orange Bowl.

Conversely, are you suggesting that the U make two consecutive trips to San Diego for the first 2 rounds? That is not a good idea, either. In fact, a really bad idea, I would guess.

Truthfully, it seems like it would be very difficult to execute a 16-team playoff. Many fans would be priced out if their team advanced even one round. And forget about students going to games. they have no money whatsoever.
        How does IAA do things?

Wouldn't the same argument hold for March Madness? Doesn't seem to be a problem there.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

the only way it works is to get rid of the bowls and do it like the NFL does. Conference champs get home games and afterward the highest seed gets the home game. The championship game is held on a neutral field.

The traditional bowls have been dead since the birth of the BCS. Kill em off and do it right.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            How does IAA do things?

Wouldn't the same argument hold for March Madness? Doesn't seem to be a problem there.
            Filling a venue for march madness is much easier.

1. The venues are smaller

2. There are multiple games at each venue

Comment

How is that different than other road games during the regular season? Selling out a stadium for a playoff game won't be a problem, imo. The big money isn't in ticket sales for a playoff it is in tv revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                the only way it works is to get rid of the bowls and do it like the NFL does. Conference champs get home games and afterward the highest seed gets the home game. The championship game is held on a neutral field.

The traditional bowls have been dead since the birth of the BCS. Kill em off and do it right.
                I agree with this. Don't try and force a playoff into a bowl structure.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  How does IAA do things?

Not sure about D2, but I had the same question. Their model obviously works, so why not copy it?

March Madness isn't exactly the same model. Those games are played in 20K arenas. Most of these bowls seat 75K or more. Huge difference. Much easier to fill up the stands with walk-up sales on the day of the game. Plus, for March Madness opening rounds, you have fans of 65 teams filling up these arenas. In one day, fans from 16 schools will sit through all the games. In football, you can't do that. All the sites will only host 2 schools on any given game day.

Also, the physical demands of hoops allow for a team to travel to one site and play 2 games in 2 days. You can't do that with football so you lose economies of scale. Further, March Madness isn't in the middle of Christmas shopping season, so finances are generally not allocated in the same way in March as they are in December.

I do agree that it would not be impossible. Fans travel for March Madness. My question is whether it is "easy" or practical as we may think on the surface.

sigpic

Comment

If anybody ever calls me UOhio again I will tickle them until they get a bellyache!

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      How is that different than other road games during the regular season? Selling out a stadium for a playoff game won't be a problem, imo. The big money isn't in ticket sales for a playoff it is in tv revenue.
                      for the schools, not the venues. The venues make money on fees and concessions. If ticket sales are poor, the venue isn't mazimizing revenue. So ticket sales are a factor.

I am not convinced that selling out a stadium for a playoff will be easy.

If it is the NFL model of home games, then ok. If it is a regional model, I am not buying it as much.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        If anybody ever calls me UOhio again I will tickle them until they get a bellyache!
                        I suggested tOSUOhio to really encompass all your loyalties.

sigpic

Comment

First, there shouldn't be a 16-team playoff. That would suck balls. A playoff should be limited to 8 teams, max, because anything more would diminish the regular season. I could perhaps see a couple play-in games to expand the field to 10. But this doesn't answer your central question.

To answer that, I think you've got to have the first round (quarterfinals) at the home of the higher seed. For the final four, you may be able to go to a neutral site one week and another one the next. Or you can have the semifinal round at the home of the higher seed and just have the championship game at a neutral site.

Of course, with this being said, it doesn't solve the problem of keeping the bowls happy. Often times people say we can just use the bowls as playoff games. As evidenced by the Orange Bowl this year, they can't sell these things out. Who knows if the heightened interest by virtue of a playoff would make these games better sells. Let's face it, almost all of these bowls are little more than the college football equivalent of the NIT. The grandeur of the Rose Bowl raises that game to a higher level, but that may be the only exception.

BTW, if BYU had made it to the Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl, I would have found a way to go. BYU is dealing with a more geographically diverse and larger fanbase than Utah.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            First, there shouldn't be a 16-team playoff. That would suck balls. A playoff should be limited to 8 teams, max, because anything more would diminish the regular season.
                            A 16 team playoff with only 6 at large teams would diminish the regular season? I doubt it.

Comment

I suggested tOSUOhio to really encompass all your loyalties.
                              A quick look at the loyalties on this board quickly show that I'm not one with a wandering eye.

Lebowski = Jeff Longhornbowski
                              SeattleUte = SeattleHoya
                              Goatnapper = BlackKnightNapper
                              Il Padrino = Il Padrino RedFox
                              Triple Dad = Trojan Dad
                              HuskyFreeNorthwest = UteFreeIntermountainWest
                              UteStar = StevensHenagarStar
                              PaloAltoCougar = PaloAltoUtahPresidentsCircleDonor
                              creekster = unknownivyleagueschoolhermitster

Comment

Working...
                              X