X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another coach denies Notre Dame

Another coach denies Notre Dame

Have they offered Joseph Smith?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Have they offered Joseph Smith?
      Can't he is mormon.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hayes...neil05.article

Comment

Mortensen on ESPN reporting Brian Kelly leaving Cincy for Notre Dame. I know he's a hot coach right now, but if that's the best ND can do I am afraid their days of relevance are done.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Mortensen on ESPN reporting Brian Kelly leaving Cincy for Notre Dame. I know he's a hot coach right now, but if that's the best ND can do I am afraid their days of relevance are done.
          ND doesn't need to do too much to be relevant, even if they are half decent they'll get plenty of hype and be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to rankings and bowl games. History has shown they can lose two games and still go to a BCS game. With decent coaching this year it is conceivable that they go 10-2 or so and a possible BCS game.

Comment

He took a program that was a football wasteland and brought it to the brink of the NC. Cincinnati has been in the rankings now for several years under him. Here Patterson is a god and Bronco is a genius, but Kelly is a bad coach.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Here Patterson is a god and Bronco is a genius, but Kelly Whittingham is a bad coach.
              I fixed your error. Do you even read Goat's posts?

Comment

He took a program that was a football wasteland and brought it to the brink of the NC. Cincinnati has been in the rankings now for several years under him. Here Patterson is a god and Bronco is a genius, but Kelly is a bad coach.
                I think Mark Dantonio had more to do with taking that program out of football wasteland, but Kelly has done a good job taking it to a new level.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Please point to where he called him a bad coach.

I took his point to be that in the past, ND would have been able to bring in an historically proven winner (a la Holtz and Devine) at the highest level. Kelly's had a great 3-year run at Cincinnati, but has less than 10 years of D1 HC experience. It is more a reflection of how far the ND brand has fallen.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Here is the story. Sounds like a few players are miffed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

This is a suicide mission.

He has no QB for next year and his main WR is gone, as well. That is not a great way to start your first year.

The Irish have the most deluded fanbase in the country. They think they are going to contend for a NC when in reality, Notre Dame doesn't even have the pieces in place to contend right now.

Currently, Notre Dame is giving coaches 5 or so years before they get the boot. At best Kelly could hope to bring in his own recruits and lay foundation by year 3. He had better hope ND recruiting stays strong this off-season. How does Kelly recruit when he is consistently going against the big boys around the country? Why didn't Notre Dame make a stronger play for Urban?

Might be time to bust out the kelly green jerseys. This guy will need them.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        I'm all for it!

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I'm all for it!

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            Please point to where he called him a bad coach.

I took his point to be that in the past, ND would have been able to bring in an historically proven winner (a la Holtz and Devine) at the highest level. Kelly's had a great 3-year run at Cincinnati, but has less than 10 years of D1 HC experience. It is more a reflection of how far the ND brand has fallen.
                            Exactly. Brian Kelly seems to be a good coach. But he's not a big name guy with a lot of experience and clout that all of a sudden makes HS kids around the country say I want to play for that guy. My reaction would be the same if ND hired Whittingham or Bronco.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              This is a suicide mission.

He has no QB for next year and his main WR is gone, as well. That is not a great way to start your first year.

The Irish have the most deluded fanbase in the country. They think they are going to contend for a NC when in reality, Notre Dame doesn't even have the pieces in place to contend right now.

Currently, Notre Dame is giving coaches 5 or so years before they get the boot. At best Kelly could hope to bring in his own recruits and lay foundation by year 3. He had better hope ND recruiting stays strong this off-season. How does Kelly recruit when he is consistently going against the big boys around the country? Why didn't Notre Dame make a stronger play for Urban?

It isn't really a suicide mission. It is just like being the Redskins coach. It may be tough for a few years, but when the ultimately fire you you get a swimming pool full of hundies. No passing that up.

Comment

Working...
                              X