Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Whittingham mentioned more often for coaching vacancies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't Whittingham mentioned more often for coaching vacancies?

Granted I don't pay attention to much about Utah other than when they are losing to BYU or TCU Kyle is obviously an excellent coach and even the most ardent red or blue goggled supporter recognizes Utah or BYU is not nor never will be ND, the SEC or other higher profile positions. I think Kyle has done just as much, if not more than Brian Kelly and had similar success to Urban before he became Tebow's fluffer. Has KW been approached for higher profile gigs and turned down the interview opportunity or has he been overlooked for some other reason?

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Granted I don't pay attention to much about Utah other than when they are losing to BYU or TCU Kyle is obviously an excellent coach and even the most ardent red or blue goggled supporter recognizes Utah or BYU is not nor never will be ND, the SEC or other higher profile positions. I think Kyle has done just as much, if not more than Brian Kelly and had similar success to Urban before he became Tebow's fluffer. Has KW been approached for higher profile gigs and turned down the interview opportunity or has he been overlooked for some other reason?
    Same question is for Bronco and Patterson.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

This is a good question. I was thinking about it the other day. I think the answer may be that football coaches need to be a cultural match with the school. We saw with Mike Price the problems that can develop where there is cultural dissonance. Whittingham seems pegged into a pretty narrow cultural hole. Also, it may be like sometimes with guys who have extramarital affairs and guys who don't. Maybe the coaches who get mentioned send out signals.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I bet they have stonewalled any contact and probably even told their agents that they are happy where they are...

I like a settled coach who is not looking for the next "Big Coach Job"..

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          Same question is for Bronco and Patterson.
          I think Bronco is the most understandable, I'm sure it is fairly well known in the coaching fraternity that he has stated that he views this as not only a job but a higher calling from God (so did Gerry Faust, but God didn't seem to view it the same way). Patterson would have been a very hot commodity this year, but TCU was smart and locked him up early. It just seems to me that KW is the prime candidate.

Comment

I think Bronco is the most understandable, I'm sure it is fairly well known in the coaching fraternity that he has stated that he views this as not only a job but a higher calling from God (so did Gerry Faust, but God didn't seem to view it the same way). Patterson would have been a very hot commodity this year, but TCU was smart and locked him up early. It just seems to me that KW is the prime candidate.
            Kyle has been mentioned in (Washington vacancy last year) and a couple of others. Maybe he has just made it know that he is happy where he is.
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I think Whittingham is happy where he is. I think the same for Patterson and Bronco. I do know that KSU put on a huge full court press for Patterson last year but he would not go back to his alma mater. I think he knew he had a good thing going the next couple of years at TCU and I think that making a BCS bowl game is easier to accomplish at TCU than KSU. The way that things are structured presently gives the good non-BCS schools some real leverage with great coaches. At the end of the day there are only a handful of top tier programs with legitimate National Championship chances and unless one of those programs comes calling, I think the Whits, Pattersons or Petersons can find more consistent glory at their current locations than moving to mid tier BCS programs.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                I think Whittingham is happy where he is. I think the same for Patterson and Bronco. I do know that KSU put on a huge full court press for Patterson last year but he would not go back to his alma mater. I think he knew he had a good thing going the next couple of years at TCU and I think that making a BCS bowl game is easier to accomplish at TCU than KSU. The way that things are structured presently gives the good non-BCS schools some real leverage with great coaches. At the end of the day there are only a handful of top tier programs with legitimate National Championship chances and unless one of those programs comes calling, I think the Whits, Pattersons or Petersons can find more consistent glory at their current locations than moving to mid tier BCS programs.
                I agree. I'm just curious if there have been overtures made toward Kyle, or like SU said above it is known he is happily married and not interested in hooking up with a waitress from the Waffle House (Oh Tiger...how the mighty have fallen).

Comment

BYU has an advantage in keeping successful coaches because for an LDS coach, the BYU HC job is a sort of pinnacle. That is not a critical statement at all, just the way I think it is, and I don't blame them for feeling that way. I think LaVell could have moved to a higher-paying HC job had he wanted to (like Steve Cleveland did), but if the BYU HC does his job right he's a quasi-GA and a very adored member of the community nationwide (maybe even worldwide). I think that's just the nature of the job.

Whittingham has a somewhat similar situation but to a much, much smaller extent. He's seen by much of the fan base as "one of ours," even though he's a BYU grad.

Coug fans, do you think Bronco is safe in his job if he wins 7-8 games a year, with occasional 10+ win seasons? I do, but I don't really have a feel for the expectations of the Cougar fan base. Friends of mine who know Steve Cleveland say he had to go to the gym to work out at 4:30 a.m. just to be left alone. I imagine lots of NCAA head coaches have that problem, but it might be tougher in Provo.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    BYU has an advantage in keeping successful coaches because for an LDS coach, the BYU HC job is a sort of pinnacle. That is not a critical statement at all, just the way I think it is, and I don't blame them for feeling that way. I think LaVell could have moved to a higher-paying HC job had he wanted to (like Steve Cleveland did), but if the BYU HC does his job right he's a quasi-GA and a very adored member of the community nationwide (maybe even worldwide). I think that's just the nature of the job.

Whittingham has a somewhat similar situation but to a much, much smaller extent. He's seen by much of the fan base as "one of ours," even though he's a BYU grad.

Coug fans, do you think Bronco is safe in his job if he wins 7-8 games a year, with occasional 10+ win seasons? I do, but I don't really have a feel for the expectations of the Cougar fan base. Friends of mine who know Steve Cleveland say he had to go to the gym to work out at 4:30 a.m. just to be left alone. I imagine lots of NCAA head coaches have that problem, but it might be tougher in Provo.
                    What about the fact that Kyle has been more succcessful than Bronco? I'm not sure Bronco has the record to make him a "hot commodity."
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Coug fans, do you think Bronco is safe in his job if he wins 7-8 games a year, with occasional 10+ win seasons?
                      I think it would depend on a lot things. What you describe is Lavell in his past 5 years and from my recollection the fanbase was whiny and acted like a bunch of pussies, and that was without Utah being real good. So in essence, I doubt he would be safe.

However, I doubt, barring any huge changes in conference affiliation, that is the level of success Mendenhall attains. I think he is going to stay pretty consistent in the 9-11 win seasons with fewer trips to 12 than he has trips to 7-8 wins.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        What about the fact that Kyle has been more succcessful than Bronco? I'm not sure Bronco has the record to make him a "hot commodity."
                        LOL! Kyle looks more and more like a one year hit wonder. How could anyone not beat BYU when the qb can only complete 33% of his passes?

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          LOL! Kyle looks more and more like a one year hit wonder. How could anyone not beat BYU when the qb can only complete 33% of his passes?
                          Smack aside, and passing over SU's occsaionally deranged views, I don't think it's fair at all to call KW a one-hit wonder. Both are fine coaches with outstanding records in a very tough arena. Bronco has a string of 10-win seasons. Kyle has a National Coach of the Year award, a very good winning record, has never lost a bowl game, and there is that 13-0 season and Sugar Bowl win.

The MWC is lucky to have them both, and to be able to say neither one is a "flight risk" right now. It's really extraordinary when you think about it.

“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Smack aside, and passing over SU's occsaionally deranged views, I don't think it's fair at all to call KW a one-hit wonder. Both are fine coaches with outstanding records in a very tough arena. Bronco has a string of 10-win seasons. Kyle has a National Coach of the Year award, a very good winning record, has never lost a bowl game, and there is that 13-0 season and Sugar Bowl win.

The MWC is lucky to have them both, and to be able to say neither one is a "flight risk" right now. It's really extraordinary when you think about it.

Yeah, remember that time when KW and the Utes finished higher than 3rd place in the MWC? Clearly he is not a one-hit wonder.

Comment

btw, I am going to call a shot here re: Patterson. I think he is pursuing a brilliant strategy.

TCU is the toast of the town this season. He also knows that next season will be a similarly great run.

So rather than put out feelers this year, he agrees to a raise and a long deal, knowing that he will likely still be a hot commodity after next year...except that next year he can negotiate his BCS coaching gig off of his new, much higher base money and length of term.

If TCU has another 11 or so win season next year, I think Patterson will be gone. I am not convinced that Florida State has really settled on any long term coaching solution, for example. JoPa may retire now that Bowden is permanently in the rear-view mirror (unlikely but possible). There always seem to be vacancies.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X