Thoughts about Alabama vs. Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about Alabama vs. Texas

Sorry Babs, several events the past couple of years have caused me to regard the Big 12 as the WAC on steriods. Alabama seems more hard nosed and better balanced, and Vince Young is long gone. Prediction: Alabama covers the spread, whatever it is.

I don't know how any Ute fan could not be pulling for Alabama in this one (unless he has a graduate degree from Texas).

Texas vs. Nebraska was a truly bizarre game. If an angel of the Lord had let me peek at Nebraska's offensive stats before the game, I'd have gladly given the spread and bet everything I owned on Texas. Nebraska had one of the worst offensive lines I've ever seen. Thank God I had no such visitation! Texas must have just choked. I bet Brown told McCoy before the game,"We're going to play the most conservative game possible. Whatever we do, no interceptions." That sounds so familiar. Where have I heard something like that before?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Sorry Babs, several events the past couple of years have caused me to regard the Big 12 as the WAC on steriods. Alabama seems more hard nosed and better balanced, and Vince Young is long gone. Prediction: Alabama covers the spread, whatever it is.
    I love it when Seattle talks football.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      cliche. Come up with something new.

I used to think the Big 12 was WAC-like, all offense and no defense. That was before Oklahoma vs. BYU and Nebraska vs. Texas. Now I don't know what to credit it. Wouldn't it be great if the Big 12 played some good teams non-conference like the Pac 10 and MWC do.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if the Big 12 played some good teams non-conference like the Pac 10 and MWC do.
        Wouldn't it be great if the Pac10 had won more than one title in nineteen years?

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if the Pac10 had won more than one title in nineteen years?

Washington was NC in 1991; USC in 2003 and 2004. How many does the Big 12 have in that span?

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

If Bama's offensive line plays as well as they did against Florida, they'll win this game. Texas will get their chances throwing the ball, but if Bama can keep their offensive balance and win the LOS the Horns won't have enough chances to score.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

You should join BlueHair and put some money on the game.

I don't know how any Ute fan could not be pulling for Alabama in this one (unless he has a graduate degree from Texas).
              I like the idea of Ute fans insisting that Alabama can't lose this year. Irony.

Texas vs. Nebraska was a truly bizarre game. If an angel of the Lord had let me peek at Nebraska's offensive stats before the game, I'd have gladly given the spread and bet everything I owned on Texas. Nebraska had one of the worst offensive lines I've ever seen. Thank God I had no such visitation! Texas must have just choked. I bet Brown told McCoy before the game,"We're going to play the most conservative game possible. Whatever we do, no interceptions." That sounds so familiar. Where have I heard something like that before?
              Sure you would have.

You obviously didn't watch the game. McCoy threw two INT's in the first quarter. Three total.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Washington was NC in 1991; USC in 2003 and 2004. How many does the Big 12 have in that span?
                Actually, I was mistaken. I was counting consensus titles. The Pac10 has had only had one in thirty years, which ties them with the Mountain West. I thought Washington's was consensus, but they didn't even win the AP.

In the same thirty years, the Big 12 has won six consensus. If you want to count the shared titles to which you allude, the Pac10 has won three and the Big 12 has won seven.

Comment

I'm not sleeping on Texas. Sure, they've struggled against good defenses this year (OU, Nebraska), but they're still averaging 40 points a game, and Oklahoma St is probably the best team they've played all year, when the Horns blew them off their own field.

Colt McCoy is the best QB in the nation, and definitely better than any other QB the Tide have faced. They'll probably put Javier Arenas on Shipley, which is a favorable match-up for Bama, but Malcolm Williams and James Kirkendoll against Kareem Jackson and Marquis Johnson is where McCoy will find success.

I'm worried about Sergio Kindle going up against James Carpenter. He was one of the few players that had a visibly poor game against the Gators, and Kindle has the size and speed to beat Carpenter and disrupt Bama's offense.
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

I'm so geeked for this game. I expect the Horns to play their best game of the season, and I hope Bama is up to the task.

I saw pictures of the two teams at Disneyland from Saturday. They looked like they had a good time.

Comment

I think we can all agree that the Big-12 just wasn't that good this year. Wac on steroids? Possibly.
                      "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                      -John Heisman

Comment

Is that what that was?

Comment

Alabama can run all day and apparently Texas' offense can be shut down.

This won't even be close.

Comment

I am feeling good about this game. Alabama has every reason to be overconfident and Texas has motivation to play with a chip on their shoulders. So similar to the Texas-USC game.

Texas has the #1 run defense in the country so they have a decent chance of slowing down Mr. Heisman.

I can't understand the talk about a Texas win being good for TCU. If Texas upsets Alabama, how could they not be ranked ahead of TCU? That is nuts.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I am feeling good about this game. Alabama has every reason to be overconfident and Texas has motivation to play with a chip on their shoulders. So similar to the Texas-USC game.

Texas has the #1 run defense in the country so they have a decent chance of slowing down Mr. Heisman.

I can't understand the talk about a Texas win being good for TCU. If Texas upsets Alabama, how could they not be ranked ahead of TCU? That is nuts.
                              What people are saying is that Alabama is so far ahead of everyone right now if they win then it is a clear cut national champion. If Texas wins after they struggled with Nebraska and if TCU blows out Boise, TCU will have a bit of an argument.

I am not buying it but that is the argument all the so called "experts" have been using.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X