Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norm Chow interested in SJSU job?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors
    Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News reports that San Jose State will begin interviewing coaching candidates today, with an eye toward having a new coach in place by Dec. 14. Two members of retiring coach Dick Tomey's staff are in the mix: WR coach Ken Margerum and defensive coordinator Keith Burns, who has three years of experience as head coach at Tulsa.

Other possible candidates to succeed Tomey include: San Diego coach Ron Caragher; former Spartans coach Terry O'Shea; San Francisco 49ers assistant Tom Rathman, whom athletic director Tom Bowen knows from a stint with the Niners; and Nevada D-coordinator Nigel Burton; Yale coach Tom Williams, an SJSU assistant in 2005 and '06.

But the most intriguing name is Norm Chow, renowned QB guru and offensive coordinator, who is now at UCLA. Chow has always let it be known that he wanted a shot at a head-coaching job, but he's been labeled a lifelong assistant. At age 63, chances are he never gets to run his own program, but perhaps Bowen is willing to go out on a limb.

I think it is worth a roll of the dice if you are SJSU. Worst case he sucks for 3-5 years, you are in the same place you are now. Best case he comes in and puts together a good offense, turns you into a respectable WAC team and leaves a younger assistant coach/OC to take over in 3-7 years when he retires.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

NoCho will never take that job.

Although that may be a good gig for Charlie Weis.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Why hasn't Chow ever had a head coaching job? Has he ever been offered one? I know people say he isn't "head coach material," whatever that means, but I can't believe a school like SJSU hasn't tried to get him in the past.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
        X