The Perfect Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Storm

Congratulations to the Utes on a second BCS victory. It was both improbable and impressive that they were able to take full advantage of all the breaks they got this season, which is precisely the point of this thread--to point out each wave in the perfect storm which allowed them to accomplish what they did. Perhaps this is merely my version of sour grapes, but it is undeniable, I think, that it takes a perfect set of circumstances for a non-BCS school to go undefeated and win a BCS game. Here are the first few that came to mind:

1) Away game at Michigan in a year when Michigan hires a coach whose offensive philosophy differs 180 degrees from that of every coach in the program's past. If Lloyd Carr returns, or even if Michigan hires a coach who uses a more traditional offense, Utah probably loses their season opener. But the combination of Rodriguez's offense and Carr's athletes proved beneficial to the Utes.

2) Home games against BYU and TCU. This is a circumstance which comes along every other year, but an away game at TCU this year would have resulted in a Utah loss.

3) Landing Alabama in their BCS game. The fact that it was Alabama wasn't as important as the fact that it was the team who had just lost their chance at a national title. You might say such an assertion is hindsight, but I am on record saying that Alabama would come out flat and disappointed at playing in a non national championship BCS game.

Others?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Congratulations to the Utes on a second BCS victory. It was both improbable and impressive that they were able to take full advantage of all the breaks they got this season, which is precisely the point of this thread--to point out each wave in the perfect storm which allowed them to accomplish what they did. Perhaps this is merely my version of sour grapes, but it is undeniable, I think, that it takes a perfect set of circumstances for a non-BCS school to go undefeated and win a BCS game. Here are the first few that came to mind:

1) Away game at Michigan in a year when Michigan hires a coach whose offensive philosophy differs 180 degrees from that of every coach in the program's past. If Lloyd Carr returns, or even if Michigan hires a coach who uses a more traditional offense, Utah probably loses their season opener. But the combination of Rodriguez's offense and Carr's athletes proved beneficial to the Utes.

2) Home games against BYU and TCU. This is a circumstance which comes along every other year, but an away game at TCU this year would have resulted in a Utah loss.

3) Landing Alabama in their BCS game. The fact that it was Alabama wasn't as important as the fact that it was the team who had just lost their chance at a national title. You might say such an assertion is hindsight, but I am on record saying that Alabama would come out flat and disappointed at playing in a non national championship BCS game.

Others?
    Maybe a little different but how about OSU chasing 2 points the whole game against Utah, when kicking an extra point one time forces Utah to onside kick at the end of the game.
    *Banned*

Comment

This thread is like a cry of agony. You poor suffering bastads. May a suggest a martini instead of this? It would be more dignified.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Also OSU at home.

Two missed chip shot field goals by TCUs kicker.

I cant count all the mistakes in the New Mexico game.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Also OSU at home.

Two missed chip shot field goals by TCUs kicker.

I cant count all the mistakes in the New Mexico game.
          Quest for perfection. LOL. How much fluke was there in 48-24?
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

If Goatnapper were here, he would say that Max Hall allegedly gift wrapped the BYU win. That was nice of Max to do that.

Kinda like the Utes gift wrapped 70 points for Ty Detmer in 1989.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

When I was in Utah my old man asked me if I thought Utah was really that good, or, as you say, this was just the "perfect storm." In 2004, I thought they were just that good. This year, I went perfect storm. OSU, UNM, TCU...everything just added up perfectly for them. Though I will say the 2004 team didn't do anything nearly as impressive as beating Bama in the South.
              Last edited by MarkGrace; 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Guys, can we agree on this much? The Utes lived right this year. They were a righteous team. Agreed?

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

It was also a curse. If UM goes to a bowl game this season, like they have for the last 30 + years, Utah's SOS, street cred and BCS bitching would have even more weight right now.

On the Rivals Michigan board after the Sugar Bowl, many posters were lamenting not getting to a bowl for this very reason (to help Utah).

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                    It was also a curse. If UM goes to a bowl game this season, like they have for the last 30 + years, Utah's SOS, street cred and BCS bitching would have even more weight right now.

On the Rivals Michigan board after the Sugar Bowl, many posters were lamenting not getting to a bowl for this very reason (to help Utah).
                    Utah doesnt beat Michigan if they are a bowl eligible team. They barely beat a 3-9 team.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Utah doesnt beat Michigan if they are a bowl eligible team. They barely beat a 3-9 team.
                      It's all fantasy land talk anyway, but I found the thread on the UM board amusing nonetheless - to see them say, "We let Utah down."

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                        It's all fantasy land talk anyway, but I found the thread on the UM board amusing nonetheless - to see them say, "We let Utah down."
                        That is pretty funny. But I agree I hate that we can even discuss this, it should all be decided on teh field.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                        X