Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of this recent success is really helping Utah in recruiting........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of this recent success is really helping Utah in recruiting........

Kyle said that recruiting has been stellar since the Fiesta bowl and continues to get better, I know recruiting rankings are not fool proof, but I wanted to see if their was any correlation between them winning in the Fiesta Bowl and recruiting. Doesnt really look like it to me. Maybe after this 2nd bowl we will see a significant difference.

Utahs recruting class rankings:

2005 (right after the Fiesta Bowl): 71st (Scout), 59th (rivals)
    2006: 60th(scout), 55th (rivals)
    2007: 66th (scout), 71st (rivals)
    2008: 65th (scout), 60th (rivals)
    2009: 57th (scout), 45th (rivals)
    *Banned*

My favorite Switzer quote was that NOT ONE (he emphasized those two words) Utah player could have walked onto this Alabama team. True?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      My favorite Switzer quote was that NOT ONE (he emphasized those two words) Utah player could have walked onto this Alabama team. True?
      At half time, with that dumbass grin of his, he said, "I meant out of HS."

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Kyle said that recruiting has been stellar since the Fiesta bowl and continues to get better, I know recruiting rankings are not fool proof, but I wanted to see if their was any correlation between them winning in the Fiesta Bowl and recruiting. Doesnt really look like it to me. Maybe after this 2nd bowl we will see a significant difference.

Utahs recruting class rankings:

2005 (right after the Fiesta Bowl): 71st (Scout), 59th (rivals)
        2006: 60th(scout), 55th (rivals)
        2007: 66th (scout), 71st (rivals)
        2008: 65th (scout), 60th (rivals)
        2009: 57th (scout), 45th (rivals)
        I think 2004 was tough to turn into recruiting success because Meyer and the whole offense staff departed. This time around should be very different.

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
          At half time, with that dumbass grin of his, he said, "I meant out of HS."
          He probably did mean that. Still, is it true? I bet it is and it says a lot about the importance of coaching, the human spirit, intelligence, those kinds of unmeasurable things. Personally, I love the quote. It shows you can shove all those stars and rankings you know where if you have the right character on a team.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

He probably did mean that. Still, is it true? I bet it is and it says a lot about the importance of coaching, the human spirit, intelligence, those kinds of unmeasurable things. Personally, I love the quote. It shows you can shove all those stars and rankings you know where if you have the right character on a team.
            You are correct.

Saban made himself look like a lousy coach with his post-game excuses....we weren't up for the game, we were not prepared for these guys, etc...isn't it the coach's job to get his team prepared? Ironically, he is trying to deflect responsibility for the loss when, in reality, he is basically outlining the exact reasons WHY he lost. He was outplayed but he doesn't even realize he is admitting it.

Switzer's claim.....who knows. To say that no single player on Utah's squad would not walk on at Alabama is a stretch (especially since they just finished walking OVER Albama). Maybe Utah's guys would not start, but to say that there is no player on one of these non-BCS squads that would not even be on the team at all? Highly unlikely.

Personally, was anyone else unimpressed with Alabama's QB? Lousy arm, not great in the pocket, not very accurate. Why wouldn't BJ get a shot QB'ing at Alabama? Sakoda, etc..same story.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              You are correct.

Saban made himself look like a lousy coach with his post-game excuses....we weren't up for the game, we were not prepared for these guys, etc...isn't it the coach's job to get his team prepared? Ironically, he is trying to deflect responsibility for the loss when, in reality, he is basically outlining the exact reasons WHY he lost. He was outplayed but he doesn't even realize he is admitting it.

Switzer's claim.....who knows. To say that no single player on Utah's squad would not walk on at Alabama is a stretch (especially since they just finished walking OVER Albama). Maybe Utah's guys would not start, but to say that there is no player on one of these non-BCS squads that would not even be on the team at all? Highly unlikely.

Personally, was anyone else unimpressed with Alabama's QB? Lousy arm, not great in the pocket, not very accurate. Why wouldn't BJ get a shot QB'ing at Alabama? Sakoda, etc..same story.
              I thought the qb was not impressive. But despite how well Utah did on offense I still felt there were a lot of plays that could have gone for big yardage in the MWC and the Bama defender made up a lot of space very quickly and limited the gain to short yardage.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                You are correct.

Saban was awful in post-game. The worst I've seen since Frank Arnold. "Lack of depth" his mantra; cuffing the kids who played. He wasn't very stand up at all. But he looked on the verge of a break down.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I don't think the BCS run makes a bit of difference in recruiting. Ok...maybe a bit. I said this before--recruits care about a consistently good program, a good relationship with coaches and/or players, and good facilities. I don't think a Sugar Bowl trip shows any quality that the average recruit didn't know was already there. Utah's a good mid-major. So is BYU. In the BYU-Utah recruiting war, program quality is a wash. It'll come down to personal relationships with coaches and players and previous BYU/Utah ties (this is where I'd throw all the religion stuff).
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Saban was awful in post-game. The worst I've seen since Frank Arnold. "Lack of depth" his mantra; cuffing the kids who played. He wasn't very stand up at all. But he looked on the verge of a break down.
                    It started on the sideline. He wasn't on the verge in the post-game. He had already broken down.

Truthfully, he should be moderately happy. His second season, took his program from the craphole to a probable Top 10 finish, held the #1 ranking for a month, etc.

But he has also burned lots of bridges in the past and we are seeing why. He is a loser.

For some reason, when Spurrier turns on the Darth Visor schtick, there is something almost cutesy about it. It fits him and there is an odd charm to it. Saban does not play that role very well. He comes off as petty and ridiculous.

I noticed Andre Smith wasted no time saying that he is gone. Saban has some work to do this off-season.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Junkie and ER, Utah was 45th before this guy verballed for Utah over Florida today:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...tid=&mid=&rid=

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        I don't think the BCS run makes a bit of difference in recruiting. Ok...maybe a bit. I said this before--recruits care about a consistently good program, a good relationship with coaches and/or players, and good facilities. I don't think a Sugar Bowl trip shows any quality that the average recruit didn't know was already there. Utah's a good mid-major. So is BYU. In the BYU-Utah recruiting war, program quality is a wash. It'll come down to personal relationships with coaches and players and previous BYU/Utah ties (this is where I'd throw all the religion stuff).
                        Boy are you going to be surprised. Stuff like this season, and keeping the coach around, are all important. Tradition is why some programs always come back to prominince, the only reason. If it's an etablished stellar program, all the better. Program quaity is no longer a wash with any MWC team.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Junkie and ER, Utah was 45th before this guy verballed for Utah over Florida today:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...tid=&mid=&rid=
                          Let's see where BYU ends up this year (just for the sake of argument--I don't care much for February championships)--they could easily end ahead of Utah.

Also, show me one recruit who cites the Sugar Bowl as the difference maker. I'm no recruiting expert, but it seems like I've heard that you guys had this guy from early on.
                          Last edited by ERCougar; 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            Let's see where BYU ends up this year (just for the sake of argument--I don't care much for February championships)--they could easily end ahead of Utah.

Also, show me one recruit who cites the Sugar Bowl as the difference maker. I'm no recruiting expert, but it seems like I've heard that you guys had this guy from early on.
                            They don't "cite" anything like that. It's like a gravitational pull.

Let's also see where Utah winds up.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

They don't "cite" anything like that. It's like a gravitational pull.

Let's also see where Utah winds up.
                              Ok...so I'm a recruit who really wants to play in a BCS game.

Do you really think the chances of Utah going to a BCS game in the next four years are much higher than BYU's? I don't.

In fact, I'm pretty psyched about my chances of playing Oklahoma next year in Dallas. The chances of that happening are a lot higher than a BCS game.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X